PDA

View Full Version : Cannot enter BIOS, G75VW

TheAdmiralty
04-22-2013, 08:07 PM
This may be a stupid question, but I can't for the life of me find a straight answer. There are going to be a lot of them coming your way, in rapid succession, sadly... should be a fun process. :)

I'm told by numerous different people that ESC, F2, F12, and DEL are all ways to get into the BIOS on the G75, with F2 being the most common response.

None of those keys, pressed in any manner or combination, will interrupt Windows 8's boot process, with or without an external keyboard. I'm going through the process of installing Win7, and I can't even get started into my own BIOS.

What am I doing wrong? Probably something obvious that I'll laugh at myself for, but I'm at a loss.

z3540
04-22-2013, 09:18 PM
The easiest way, IMHO, is to bring the charms bar up and go to Settings>Power>Restart+Shift>Troubleshoot>Advanced options>UEFI Firmware Settings>Restart. Once you click restart, BIOS will appear. The trick here is to press Restart AND Shift at the same time

TheAdmiralty
04-22-2013, 09:53 PM
Yep, that's what I've been looking for. Thanks!

gypsymoth
04-23-2013, 04:48 PM
On the G46VW, I found that holding the F2 button down, while turning on the power is the most consistent way of getting into BIOS. Maybe that will work on the G75VW.

TokoDude
04-23-2013, 05:30 PM
Yeah It's F2 button but you have very little time to press it because it boots so fast XD so press F2 many times when it boots

First time I wanted to enter bios is was to slow after second time i finally entered my BIOS

MaacK
04-23-2013, 06:02 PM
I found that it was also weird getting into the bios on my g75, I had to reboot several times to let me in and I know I was hitting the right keys (F2). Oddly seems like a glitch.

Clintlgm
04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Ok one problem with Win8 is you don't get a full shutdown when you reboot. You go into hybrid shutdown which is pretty much Sleep mode. So you have to manually force a complete shut down. I have set up an Icon on my wife's All in one for this very purpose. I forget the exact command, but if you goggle Complete shut down in Win 8 you'll have the command set up. As z3540 stated for a one time full shutdown shut down. I just created the Icon for a complete shut down as leaving her computer in Hybrid Shut down wasn't working out all that well.

TheAdmiralty
04-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Here's what happened:

I got into it using the Shift+Restart into UEFI method; from there, Secure Boot was disabled and Launch CSM was enabled. Reboot into Windows, and the new SSD is detected now. Reboot into the BIOS again, and delete Windows Boot Manager from the list of boot options, and set the DVD drive which is now available to be the primary boot device. Win7 isn't hard to install from there, which was the ultimate goal.

Sounds like fun, doesn't it? ;)