PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait ?

leeayon
04-22-2013, 08:40 PM
My g75 ( 660m BB version windows 7) was stolen last week ... I had it for almost a year ...and I'm thinking of buying the G75 again but with the 670mx windows 8 but I have a few questions first..
Do you guys recomend to wait a couple of months for the G76 ?
Does the updated G75 still have the horrible atheros wi fi card ?
Most important diference between the old best buy version of G75 (660m) and the new best buy version G75 (670MX) obviously with out counting the GPU

Please any advice would be welcome... thanks ! !! ! :cool:

gokica
04-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Sorry to hear this.

The wifi card is Atheros on the VX as well. There should be an Intel card on some models but not sure which (judging by the drivers available on the ASUS website).

Should you wait? Well maybe it will be worth it. On the other hand, once the new revised G75 is out it may be worth waiting longer for the G76 or 77. Ha, ha. Tough choice.

moqel
04-22-2013, 09:07 PM
Do you guys recomend to wait a couple of months for the G76 ?

Please any advice would be welcome... thanks ! !! ! :cool:

For G76 you are in for a much longer wait....7-8 months?

z3540
04-22-2013, 09:48 PM
A brief description of my situation: I have a 2008 Sony Vaio 17.3" (1440x900) screen, Core 2 Duo, 4GB (upgraded) RAM, Bluray, 1TB (750 Seagate Momentus Hybrid+250) HDD, Nvidia GT8400m, Wireless N (upgraded to Intel Centrino Ultimate 6300-a 3x3 wireless antenna to take advantage of my 3x3 wireless router), Vista 32bit. I have not been able to play any of the recent games since the specs are old. I use it for video and pictures (along with everyday uses). It has served me well until recently when it started to give me trouble, so I decided to do a clean install after backing up my data. I was at a Best Buy where they had the G75VX (local one didn't stock it) and was impressed with the specs (vs the old G75VW). I bought it just in case I couldn't fix my Vaio. My research turned up the following:

1. Some VWs have a 3rd gen i7 3610, the VX has 3630. If you can wait until June the newer Haswell chip will be coming out (ie 4th gen i7). You can get the newer chip or you can probably buy the current VX for a discount at that time. Just remember that there will ALWAYS be newer, faster, better versions of anything in 2-6 months.

2. Some VWs have more than 8GB RAM. It depends on the model. The VX @ Best Buy(BB VX) has 8GB (upgradable to 32). There are other VX models that have more but can't find them on sale yet except on XoticPC.com (see below).

3. Some VWs come with an SSD, HDD @7200 RPM, SSD+HDD; again, it depends on the model. The BB VX has a 1TB @ 5400 RPM and a 2nd drive bay free.

4. The VWs come with Nvidia 660m, 670m, or 675m (2GB). It depends on the model. The BB VX comes with the 670mx (3GB). This is based on the newer and better Kepler architecture. See here for review/comparison: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX - NotebookCheck.net Tech

5. The BB VX is the first laptop with an 802.11ac wireless card (3x3). However, to take advantage of this you will NEED an 802.11ac router. Note that this is "pre-802.11ac", similar to when the 802.11n first came out ("pre-802.11n"). The specifications won't be finalized until later this year. The 802.11ac card should be backwards compatible. This is a big deal for me since the VX laptop should have 3 antennae inside. I plan to remove my Vaio wireless card (3x3) and put it in the VX. When the spec is finalized later this year, I will upgrade my router and networking card to "ac".

6. Some VWs have dvd/cd-rw, bluray reader/dvd/cd-rw, bluray rewriter/dvd/cd-rw. It depends on the model. The BB VX has only dvd/cd-rw. However, this is easily upgraded to a bluray reader or bluray rewriter with 3D capability via HDMI for less than $100. Please see here: G75 from BB, and upgrades available.

7. Speaking of 3D, some VWs have a 3D screen, depends on the model ($$$$!!). The BB VX is NOT a 3D screen but is 3D CAPABLE via HDMI after an upgrade (see above).

8. Some VWs have Win7 or 8, depends on the model. BB VX has Win8 64 bit. There are mixed feelings on Win8. I, myself, have not tried it except on display models in stores.

9. The VX has the Thunderbolt port, the VW does NOT. Not sure if there are a lot of Thunderbolt peripherals but here is more information on it: Thunderbolt (interface) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There may be more differences but that is what I could find.

The main things I like are the 3x3 ac wireless card and the "mx" Kepler video card. The latest and greatest video card from Nvidia is the 680m (680mx is for Macs) and the 7980m from Radeon. BTW, after reading the above, I think I will keep the VX, a good value for the money with upgradeability to keep up with the times. You also mentioned that Tigerdirect is your preferred outlet. Just be aware that they have a lot of conditions on their return policy and a 15% restocking fee. I had trouble returning a computer: they tried to charge me a restocking fee for returning an unopened computer. I only buy low ticket items there now. At Best Buy, you can return with no questions asked within 30 days (60 days if you're a Reward Zone Member) and no restocking fees. Also, Best Buy is the only place where I can find a VX at a good price. You can try XoticPC.com. They have a customizable VX but their base configuration starts at $1939.

In whatever you decide to buy, good luck!

UPDATE NOTE: I wrote this a month ago in response to someone asking about the differences between the old G75VW and the newer Best Buy (BB) G75VX. Since then I have decided to keep the G75VX and in the process of upgrading the RAM, the HDD to SSD, and the DVD to a rewritable Bluray. The 3x3 ac wireless card is great with my Asus RT-N66R (from Best Buy). It is much better than my old Vaio. BTW, I did fix it but decided to keep the newer G75 anyway.

colpolite
04-23-2013, 02:47 AM
Sorry to hear this.

The wifi card is Atheros on the VX as well. There should be an Intel card on some models but not sure which (judging by the drivers available on the ASUS website).

Should you wait? Well maybe it will be worth it. On the other hand, once the new revised G75 is out it may be worth waiting longer for the G76 or 77. Ha, ha. Tough choice.

The wifi on my former vx was Broadcom 802.11 ac

pathfindercod
04-23-2013, 03:00 AM
My wifi in my vx is a Broadcom AC adapter. Vx is an awesome machine, 8 hours of bf3 running PC gpu of 135/1000 tonight, never got above 61c..

leeayon
04-23-2013, 09:11 PM
thanks for replys :D

Vicodin
04-23-2013, 10:29 PM
The G75vx at Best Buy for $1250.00 is well worth it. I don't see how you can really go wrong there. Sure you can get better laptops, but they will run you a lot more as well. Also, the upgrade from a 660m to a 670mx is quite a boost in performance.

chrsplmr
04-24-2013, 12:00 AM
4(my2's). +Vicodin - ... and in 8-11 months you will still get a good return on the G75
if a New ROG G is released.
That's alot of time without for what may be com'n.c.

TheAdmiralty
04-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Sorry to hear that... :(

Honestly, I wouldn't wait for the next revision, unless there's something that seriously bothered you abut the current G75. I bought my G75VW from Best Buy with a 660M+i7-3630, 8GB of RAM and a 1TB HDD... I ended up getting it for $999 (normally $1099) plus tax in some freak clearance event that I didnt even know was going on. Slapped an SSD, Windows 7, and 8GB more RAM in it, and I wouldn't trade this thing for any other system in the world. 660M gives me decent battery life, and plays an exact copy of my desktop Skyrim smoother than my poor old HD 5770. Heck, I just finished decommissioning that 790FX-AM3 desktop because it just doesn't compare to this G75. What a sad day that was... Even the screen blows my 24" HP monitor out of the water completely.

TL;DR: I personally wouldn't wait for the next model, but would keep an eye out for a good deal. You never know what you might stumble across. Just my opinion.

Best of luck!

BrandeX
05-01-2013, 04:17 AM
If you like black lines across your screen and a defective subwoofer, definitely buy this gens G-series laptop again!

chrsplmr
05-01-2013, 12:17 PM
If you like black lines across your screen and a defective subwoofer, definitely buy this gens G-series laptop again!

BrandeX ??? Im confused. I dont recall a thread with you having this issue of the screen .. I do recall Your subwoofer brought you
no joy.
Did you request an RMA and get it repaired?
If the OP has an issue they can simply exchange it. Why didn't you ??
Are you currently having issue ???