PDA

View Full Version : G75VX and Samsung 250 GB SSD 840 Series

z3540
04-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Got the SSD for a great price so bought it. I first installed it in the free drive bay and used the Samsung utilities to clone Win8 and optimize the SSD. I then took the HDD out and put in the SSD in its place. It boots to where I enter my password. I enter my password and then I get a black screen with a pointer that I can move. Nothing else on the screen. When I placed the original HDD in the free bay and the SSD in the primary bay, same thing happens. So, I put the original HDD back and changed the BIOS: enabled Launch CSM/Launch PXE OpROM and disabled Secure Boot Control. I put the SSD back in and rebooted but same thing happened again. I kept the SSD in the primary position and put the HDD in the free slot and it worked!!!! When I take the HDD out and leave only the SSD, I get the same black screen with the arrow. To summarize: everything works with BIOS modified as above and the SSD in the primary bay and the original HDD in the free bay. I did a search and found that Win8 keeps the product key in the BIOS. Is this why I need the original HDD installed? Another funny thing is that the SSD is labeled the D: drive while the HDD is labeled the C: Drive. Also, the BIOS now have 2 new Boot Options: Option #3: P2: Slimtype DVD A... AND Option #4: Atheros Boot Agent.

Does anyone know why this is happening and is there a fix? Maybe point me to the correct thread? I have spent hours trying to figure this out. I have found threads in this forum where you can do a clean Win7 or Win8 install on a G75VX SSD but it seems involved and I don't want to buy another license since I already paid for it in this laptop. I have upgraded disk drives before by cloning without problems. Win8 has stumped me.

BTW here are the before and after benchmarks of the SSD when it works:
Before Optimization :(

After Optimization :)

Matrix Leader
04-22-2013, 10:18 PM
those are very low write speeds. That drive should perform around 450 MB write speed. Check the firmware and the IRST drivers

cosmicmango
04-22-2013, 10:53 PM
What version of Samsung Magician Software do you have installed (version 3.2 or 4.0) if 3.2 I would upgrade to 4.0.

You can find both versions here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-7TD250KW

As DanishKid stated, check the firmware for any updates the write looks low, then click on OS Optimization you have four choices: Maximum Performance - Maximum Capacity - Maximum Reliability - Advanced - highlight your choice then click Apply All. I've attached my benchmark.

z3540
04-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Thanks for your replies. Samsung Magician Software is 4.0 and firmware is up to date. Cosmic, I see you have Advanced status. I have mine at Maximum Performance. Will that affect the write speeds? Also, I have the regular 840 not the Pro (I'm jealous). Do you have Over Provisioning enabled? I see you have Win 8 Pro, did you do a clean install?

cosmicmango
04-23-2013, 02:46 AM
Thanks for your replies. Samsung Magician Software is 4.0 and firmware is up to date. Cosmic, I see you have Advanced status. I have mine at Maximum Performance. Will that affect the write speeds? Also, I have the regular 840 not the Pro (I'm jealous). Do you have Over Provisioning enabled? I see you have Win 8 Pro, did you do a clean install?

It shouldn't make any difference with the write speed using Advance or Maximum Performance, you might have an alignment problem on your SSD. A misaligned SSD can affect the read and write speeds.

Here's a link on how to check the alignment: http://www.overclock.net/t/1226963/how-to-properly-re-align-your-ssd-hdd-partitions

On your question on Over Provisioning - I have it set at 23% - With Windows 7 & Windows 8 both were a clean install but I have a G75VW and I didn't have all the BIOS headaches.

babyrinrin
04-23-2013, 07:28 AM
danishkid,

I would like to test the speed of my SSD (Kingston Hyperx 3k). which software you recommend safe and best? and if im getting low read/write, how can i maxed it as per the normal speed . can you post your test with your ssd.

i have tried the AS SSD BENCHMARK but it gives me low rating i.e. 250 read/ 155 write. idk if this is correct?

babyrinrin
04-23-2013, 10:09 AM
danishkid,

ty for the info, you know how and where to check if IRST is installed in my G75VX and what storage drivers i am using? also how i can check my SSD firmware, i tried the tool in kingston website but it says no SSD detected? but when i ran speccy it says im having ssd? im quite confuse.

Matrix Leader
04-23-2013, 10:17 AM
danishkid,

ty for the info, you know how and where to check if IRST is installed in my G75VX and what storage drivers i am using? also how i can check my SSD firmware, i tried the tool in kingston website but it says no SSD detected? but when i ran speccy it says im having ssd? im quite confuse.

Dude, did you read the thread I just gave you? it has allll the info you need

if your drive isn't detected by the Kingston utility or the firmware upgrade utility, that means you have the IRST installed.

you can also check by going to device manager, IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers, expand it, then right click on the SATA AHCI controller, choose properties, then check the driver version. It will be obvious by the version if it is the intel chipset driver controller or the IRST controller.

if it was the IRST, you will have to uninstall it, then reboot, then reinstall the Intel Chipset Drivers via the -overall -overide command then reboot again

then try running the firmware upgrade utility which will double your write speeds. a newer firmware also is soon to be released by Kingston to further improve things

worst case scenario if your drive still cannot be detected by the Kingston utility is to format and start clean again.

that is why before installing the IRST driver, I always create a system image via Acronis True Image so when a new firmware is out I can simply roll back to that image in no time and upgrade

babyrinrin
04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Dude, did you read the thread I just gave you? it has allll the info you need

if your drive isn't detected by the Kingston utility or the firmware upgrade utility, that means you have the IRST installed.

you can also check by going to device manager, IDE/ATA ATAPI controllers, expand it, then right click on the SATA AHCI controller, choose properties, then check the driver version. It will be obvious by the version if it is the intel chipset driver controller or the IRST controller.

if it was the IRST, you will have to uninstall it, then reboot, then reinstall the Intel Chipset Drivers via the -overall -overide command then reboot again

then try running the firmware upgrade utility which will double your write speeds. a newer firmware also is soon to be released by Kingston to further improve things

worst case scenario if your drive still cannot be detected by the Kingston utility is to format and start clean again.

that is why before installing the IRST driver, I always create a system image via Acronis True Image so when a new firmware is out I can simply roll back to that image in no time and upgrade

i have check that link that you have provided, iam having the Intel (R) 7 series chipset family SATA AHCI Controller. is this the same with IRST? TY

Matrix Leader
04-23-2013, 10:41 AM
i have check that link that you have provided, iam having the Intel (R) 7 series chipset family SATA AHCI Controller. is this the same with IRST? TY

Right click on it, choose properties, then go to the Driver tab, then tell me what is the driver version you see

babyrinrin
04-23-2013, 01:52 PM
danishkid,

please see below.

cosmicmango
04-23-2013, 02:38 PM
z3540 – Sorry to see that your thread has been hijacked with all the unrelated questions and answers to your Topic. It’s only common courtesy, if it’s not related to the Topic, start a new thread.

Matrix Leader
04-23-2013, 04:08 PM
danishkid,

please see below.

you are using the IRST driver 11.6.0.1030 :(

That's why your results are a bit not on par with mine.

I recommend you uninstall it as this SSD likes the Intel Chispet drivers more for the SATA controller

Sorry to hijack the thread, please continue discussion here:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?32181-My-Kingston-HyperX-3K-SSD-Benchmarks&country=&status=

z3540
04-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks Cosmic. I checked the alignment as soon as you posted your results. Mine is properly aligned. I also checked the specs of my SSD on Samsung's website and my numbers match theirs for the most part. I guess that is one of the differences of the Pro and non-Pro versions. Yes, the new BIOS is stumping me. I will probable do a clean install of Win 8 Pro Pack for $99.