PDA

View Full Version : G75 - BIOS update, now no bios post

MaacK
04-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Hello,

I performed a BIOS update (believe it was 223) - which went through with no issue. After I bios updated, I rebooted and when back into the BIOS to reset my settings back to the way I had it. I only changed the boot order, and the sound effects for booting.

After I did this, I saved and rebooted. Walked away and came back to a laptop that was just a black screen, nothing visible - power light on, no keyboard light at all.

Powered off, turned on - no bios boot, no screen, keyboard lights up and shuts off.

Any suggestions, or do I need to send it back for repair?

TokoDude
04-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Try to reset BIOS to as his factory settings.

-+Hold down Ctrl+Home then power button.
-+HOLD Ctrl+Home until you see EZ-Flash starting. (Holding it could be around 20 SECONDS)
-+Wait till the factory reset is finished. at the end it will say restart in two seconds.
-+Laptop shutdowns automatic (DO NOT INTTERUPT THIS PROCESS)

-+When it's done start the PC

MAKE SURE YOU HOLD THESE KEY"S at stap 1-2

gokica
04-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Keep pressing F2 while it starts and try to enter BIOS. If successful try to disable fast boot and enable CSM OP ROM (if those options are available in BIOS).

MaacK
04-23-2013, 05:45 PM
TokoDude: I tried the suggested steps, however, nothing happens. It just boots up normal, nothing on the screen and I held it down for a good minute or two.
gokica: I have tried smashing f2 to see if I can somehow get into bios, but I was not successful.

Any other tips?

TokoDude
04-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Try it a few times

are you sure that you are using the right buttons? And you hold them all the time?

the home button is located right corner (second part of the keyboard)

i shall write you the next step tomorrow im on my iPod device doesn't type well.

MaacK
04-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Thank you for your fast reply.

Yes, I am using the left CTRL key and the Home key at the top left on the numpad. I've tried the steps numerous times. I also tried getting it to restore from the USB stick, by placing the BIOS file onto the USB stick - but it is not reading the USB stick either.

Jihilian
04-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Search for "Bricked" here in forum. I think you just have bricked yours. It happened with me and with lots of people here. A gift from ASUS.

MaacK
04-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Search for "Bricked" here in forum. I think you just have bricked yours. It happened with me and with lots of people here. A gift from ASUS.

That's not good to hear :(

MaacK
04-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Hello guys,

I was trying to wedge my power button and kept turning it on and off so I could leave the button pushed for awhile (yes, I am very lazy).. when suddenly, the laptop powered up.

I haven't tried rebooting it yet but it seems to be powered up and running good... lets hope it stays that way.

TokoDude
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
Yeah i really hope it stays that way. it would suck ass if your expensive PC is dead again :rolleyes:

cl-Albert
04-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Hello guys,

I was trying to wedge my power button and kept turning it on and off so I could leave the button pushed for awhile (yes, I am very lazy).. when suddenly, the laptop powered up.

I haven't tried rebooting it yet but it seems to be powered up and running good... lets hope it stays that way.

Hi MaacK,

Thought it would be better to reply through the forums instead of PM, but doesn't make much sense to me why it would suddently start working when it wasn't working before.
Just wondering if you have any ideas? Were you holding the power button a little longer or did it just need more time to boot up?

I'm actually trying to find a way to kill the bios of my Win7 G75VW test unit if anybody wants to give me more suggestions, so I can ask someone to fix the issue, but so far it works fine for me when I upgrade or downgrade the bios and change settings.

My bios doesn't have the 'enable CSM' option under the 'boot' menu or the 'secure boot' option under 'security' though.

MaacK
04-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Hi MaacK,

Thought it would be better to reply through the forums instead of PM, but doesn't make much sense to me why it would suddently start working when it wasn't working before.
Just wondering if you have any ideas? Were you holding the power button a little longer or did it just need more time to boot up?

I'm actually trying to find a way to kill the bios of my Win7 G75VW test unit if anybody wants to give me more suggestions, so I can ask someone to fix the issue, but so far it works fine for me when I upgrade or downgrade the bios and change settings.

My bios doesn't have the 'enable CSM' option under the 'boot' menu or the 'secure boot' option under 'security' though.

Here is EXACTLY what I did:
I removed my SSD, attached it to my desktop, and placed the 207 bios on my C: drive (screenshot attached)
My final idea, before I sent it out, was to hold the power button for 2 minutes. Thanks to my laziness, I wedged a piece of metal into the power button, it was still plugged in so it was shutting on and off (I was trying to make sure it was holding it in properly) - when it powered on.

I checked my BIOS version, and it is at 223 - so it didn't revert. One difference I noticed is after I placed the files on the hard drive, my keyboard stayed lit rather than turn on and off.

The only other thing I did (which probably fixed it) was removed a single RAM chipped, powered it on and off, held the power button with the machine powered off. I replaced it back into the system after giving up; so I'm not sure if it caused it to reset settings?

I honestly have no clue. Now I don't have to worry about working in the office :p

If this happens again, I will be sure to send this to you, Albert, to further diagnose the issues so we can get it fixed. I'm thinking at this point it was a simple glitch rather than an actual BIOS issue.

It shuts down, reboots, and works normal. I don't know!

TokoDude
04-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Wow removing the Single RAM will fix it? I hope it does i love to see it working again by some 1 else then finnaly we got that fixed.

But replacing the bios file won't work some other people did that before doesn't make a difference. (old forum topic Same issue)

cl-Albert
04-24-2013, 05:53 PM
I checked my BIOS version, and it is at 223 - so it didn't revert. One difference I noticed is after I placed the files on the hard drive, my keyboard stayed lit rather than turn on and off.

Not sure if you saw the hard drive light flashing, but I'm guessing it was trying to read the bios file from the hard drive (unsuccessfully?).

The only other thing I did (which probably fixed it) was removed a single RAM chipped, powered it on and off, held the power button with the machine powered off. I replaced it back into the system after giving up; so I'm not sure if it caused it to reset settings?

Yeah, it's something we might ask others to try if they run into this although not really sure how removing the memory could make any difference unless you also unplugged the power, removed the battery and held the power button without any power to 'unpower' the notebook/motherboard and that is what did it.

Thanks for the feedback!

MaacK
04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Not sure if you saw the hard drive light flashing, but I'm guessing it was trying to read the bios file from the hard drive (unsuccessfully?).

Yeah, it's something we might ask others to try if they run into this although not really sure how removing the memory could make any difference unless you also unplugged the power, removed the battery and held the power button without any power to 'unpower' the notebook/motherboard and that is what did it.

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm not sure if that actually fixed it, I don't even know what fixed it I'm just throwing out my guesses. I removed the stick, hit the power button unplugged, tried it plugged in, etc. I'm thinking that the BIOS had to re-detected the RAM stick during initialization. I don't have enough bravery to try it again for testing purposes :P

I also may not have had a corrupted BIOS. For all I know, it could've been a system glitch (even though it restarts/shuts down w/o issue now).

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions!