PDA

View Full Version : Black Scree on startup

Kalaith
08-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Hi All,

Just received my laptop (G73S), and already having a problems with it.

When turning it on, the 3 blue lights and power turn on, the keyboard lights flash on, the lights at the front show power, charging, hard drive activity
but there is no screen at any point

I tried plugging in an external screen but no change

I tried adjusting the brightness, no change.

Booted just battery, and AC and both no chance

Sometimes the capslock and numlock do work and light up, but it eventually stops working, especially if adjusting its settings

It does appear its loading windows, usually before loading the OS pressing the power once is enough to restart, and windows you need to hold the power down.

About the only thing that was done different, is when turning it on for the first time the middle button was pressed to turn it on, but ive tried pressing it alot and all the other buttons..

any suggestions, or is this going to be dead on arrival.

Thanks

Kalaith

Chastity@ASUS
08-02-2011, 08:35 PM
remove battery and AC, and hit the power button like 10 times. Wait a minute, then reassemble.

You can also check if any of the memory or hdd's are mounted properly.

Artiston
11-08-2011, 03:45 PM
I got exactly the same problem but sometimes, at random, the laptop starts up. I tried the steps you suggest but nothing happened. Is this issue about software or hardware?

380mcn
11-08-2011, 03:57 PM
RAM. my 2 cents on RAM. run goldmemory or any other kind of software.. http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
You can even remove all the stick of ram, and insert 1 and restart windows .. remove previous and install other stick in the slot.. sooner or later you'll know which stick is the faulty one..

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Well, do you mean it doesn't POST, or it starts up but you have a black screen?

380mcn
11-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Well, do you mean it doesn't POST, or it starts up but you have a black screen?

can you get to the BIOS or nothing is displayed?

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Do you see the Asus Logo?

Artiston
11-08-2011, 04:21 PM
The laptop always starts up, but somethimes it shows the Asus logo and load windows normally, and many times it doesn´t.

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
OK, this could be a bad HDD, RAM stick, or other things. But probably a bad RAM stick.

The normal thing to try is to remove one HDD at a time Start up to see if the problem is gone, then replace it if it's good to eliminate bad HDD's. Next follow the same procedure with the RAM sticks to eliminate a bad RAM stick. But since you have a G73 I don't know how hard that is. So try opening your bottom cover and reseat the HDD connectors you can easily get to.

380mcn
11-08-2011, 04:30 PM
once again.. RAM..

Artiston
11-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I will try both solutions, first RAM XD, and I will post if the problem was solved or not! Thank you very much for the answers!

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 04:34 PM
once again.. RAM..
I think so too because it's intermittent, but I told him to reseat the hdd connectors so he wouldn't have to take his laptop apart, too much. I don't know the layout of the G73, yet. lol

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 04:35 PM
once again.. RAM..

OK! :thumbsup:

380mcn
11-08-2011, 04:43 PM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/475907-asus-g73-series-disassembly-guide.html

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 04:51 PM
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/475907-asus-g73-series-disassembly-guide.html
Thanks. Not too bad but not as easy as the G74. BTW, the full size photos in that guide are gone from ImageShack. :(

Artiston
11-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Absolutely beautiful!!!

JRd1st
11-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Awesome!

Artiston
11-09-2011, 05:16 PM
You are not gonna believe this. I tried with the RAM and everything OK, then I tried with the HDD and everything OK. But always I put the Laptop on my thighs, when I put the laptop on any flat surface the laptop does't boot.............. I don't know what is happening..... :S

JRd1st
11-09-2011, 05:48 PM
That means there's probably a bad solder joint or other connection. When it's on you lap it gets rorqued just enough to connect.

Try reseating the battery.

Artiston
11-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Ok, I'll try! Thank you!

JRd1st
11-09-2011, 06:35 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think it must be something with the battery or maybe a connector for the HDD

Artiston
11-09-2011, 07:39 PM
I tried with the battery and without it and occurs the same... on mi thighs runs 100% but in flat surfaces sometimes works..... I'm gonna check the connectors....

Chastity@ASUS
11-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Does having it on AC power when you start it up make a difference? Have you tried removing the battery and running on AC only? What about battery only?

JRd1st
11-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Does having it on AC power when you start it up make a difference? Have you tried removing the battery and running on AC only? What about battery only?

It's good to see you here, Chas!

mantidor
01-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Bumping the thread just to see how you guys managed to fix this problem, any updates? I have the exact same problem, including the part about working only on my lap, except that now is not even working on my lap, but it used to do it. It definitely starts, I can hear the windows sound and the keyboard light function keys work. It even logs on steam (I know because it takes me out of my session in this other computer).

dstrakele
01-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Do you have an external monitor attached, @mantidor?

What have you done to date to resolve your black screen on startup issue?

mantidor
01-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Do you have an external monitor attached, @mantidor?

What have you done to date to resolve your black screen on startup issue?

I've tried everything mentioned in the thread so far except any disassemble, I'm going to try that tonight, so nothing new. I was really, really shocked when I tried the laptop on my actual lap and it worked! however is no longer responding even in my lap as I said.

I did try an external monitor but is not working, however is probably not configured well, I just found out windows key + p cycles through the different configurations so I'm going to try that one out tonight as well. Windows starts though, thats for sure, skype logs in, steam logs in, all the sounds can be heard, the keyboard light keys work too.

dstrakele
01-19-2012, 06:05 PM
Bumping the thread just to see how you guys managed to fix this problem, any updates? I have the exact same problem, including the part about working only on my lap, except that now is not even working on my lap, but it used to do it. It definitely starts, I can hear the windows sound and the keyboard light function keys work. It even logs on steam (I know because it takes me out of my session in this other computer).

If moving the laptop changes behavior, it indicates a hardware issue, most likely the LCD video cable. From your previous response, it sounds like you've exhausted any other possible resolutions. Getting the external monitor to work while the laptop display does not would help confirm the cause of your issue.

mantidor
01-20-2012, 03:36 AM
If moving the laptop changes behavior, it indicates a hardware issue, most likely the LCD video cable. From your previous response, it sounds like you've exhausted any other possible resolutions. Getting the external monitor to work while the laptop display does not would help confirm the cause of your issue.

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately is not working with an external monitor, I just did the test and windows key + P doesn't do anything. However the computer starts for sure, so I still think is a hardware issue, only more severe than just the lcd cable, is like the output itself is damaged, neither the screen nor the hdmi port work.

I'm going to try to find a local repairer, if its not possible I'll have to send it through warranty. The problem with that is that I moved to Brazil so you can imagine my predicament, if it wasn't for that I would have send it back for warranty first thing after it stopped working, but with my situation I have to exhaust every other possible alternative.

dstrakele
01-20-2012, 03:47 AM
Unfortunately, that may indicate GPU failure. Did you try to connect the external monitor to the VGA port?

mantidor
01-23-2012, 04:27 AM
Thats really bad news to hear :(

Yeah I did try both hdmi and vga and it does not work, the screen is just dead, the computer does work apparently but besides the sounds and the logins, I have no way to be absolutely sure.

Asus support has been really crappy, they never answered my email, contacting them is basically impossible in any other way, thankfully I found this forum, I'll try to bring the laptop to an authorized repair center here, thanks for the answer anyway!

dstrakele
01-23-2012, 04:33 AM
Give Chastity@ASUS a PM and reference this thread to see if you can get help through the RMA process.

mantidor
01-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks! I PMed a long time ago but got no response.

But I wanted to give an update, the laptop actually turned on yesterday, I really could not believe it. However the screen started to flicker after some time and it turned off, only to turn back on again with a windows message that the video controller had crashed but that it recovered itself successfully. After a while it just got stuck, the screen was on but it simply didn't respond, even the mouse didn't move. I started in safe mode and it worked fine, so I could at least backup my files. Now I'm not sure if its the drivers or the card itself, I'm afraid is the later, but I'll try to update the card drivers just to see. Thats of course if the computer turns on, theres really no way to be sure. Also if its of any use, I've never gotten a BSOD. the screen just freezes.

It appears the turn on in the lap thing was just a coincidence, (although I did turned it on on my lap, but later I left it on the table and it still turned on fine). Maybe is related to a heat dissipation problem, I really don't know. Is really bad Asus has not answered at all, I've written to them three times already.

evgasr2
01-31-2012, 01:24 PM

But I wanted to give an update, the laptop actually turned on yesterday, I really could not believe it. However the screen started to flicker after some time and it turned off, only to turn back on again with a windows message that the video controller had crashed but that it recovered itself successfully. After a while it just got stuck, the screen was on but it simply didn't respond, even the mouse didn't move. I started in safe mode and it worked fine, so I could at least backup my files. Now I'm not sure if its the drivers or the card itself, I'm afraid is the later, but I'll try to update the card drivers just to see. Thats of course if the computer turns on, theres really no way to be sure. Also if its of any use, I've never gotten a BSOD. the screen just freezes.

It appears the turn on in the lap thing was just a coincidence, (although I did turned it on on my lap, but later I left it on the table and it still turned on fine). Maybe is related to a heat dissipation problem, I really don't know. Is really bad Asus has not answered at all, I've written to them three times already.
hehehehehhehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehheheeheheh ehheheheheheheehheehehehhehehehehehe
lolololololololololololololololololololol
haha so your having my problem. take a look at this and say is this happen? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACsA7CNV4Sg&feature=youtu.be .
Do you know one thing about asus , it doesnt need a vga to work but noting in screen.
i have the same issue , then i removed the vga and turned on then i can see same results and after a while i heard windows logon sound , its pretty wierd but its true, and do you have a working battry?? but you have a chance of recovering your card , you have to take it out and bake it in owen for 10 min ,in 385 F . thats works if you dont have vbios failure. pm me if you need more help, im here 24/7

dstrakele
01-31-2012, 02:47 PM

You could give Mason@ASUS a try. I've seen him active with customers more recently on this forum.

mantidor
01-31-2012, 05:31 PM
You could give Mason@ASUS a try. I've seen him active with customers more recently on this forum.

thanks will do!