PDA

View Full Version : Does Kingston's reasoning behind my slow write speed performance make sense?

Matrix Leader
04-26-2013, 09:28 AM
I bought a Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 480 GB

I feel my OS is snappy just as it should on an SSD but in my Benchmarks on CrystalDisk Mark and AS SSD Benchmark, I got 500 MB/S read which is good and 170 MB/S write only

Now the advertised speed of the SSD on the box says 540 MB/S Read and 450 MB/S write

So as we can see here, my write speeds are in no way near what is advertised.

I then upgraded the firmware from the original firmware 501 to 503 and that made my write speeds double from 170 to 316 MB/S which is better, but still no where close to the advertised speed.

Upon contacting them, they advised me to run the ATTO Disk Benchmark and then I got 530 MB/S read and 450 MB/S write as advertised; reason being, is that the ATTO Disk Benchmark they say uses compression in the benchmarks which is where this drive excels and the other benchmarks such as CrystalDisk Mark and AS SSD Benchmark don't use compression.

That is all well and good but my question is, in my real world usage, does Windows or any other program for that matter use compression? I mean, how does their 450 MB/S write speed in compression mode work in real life? or is it just a benchmark gimmick because when copying files from the SSD onto itself, example:

I try to copy a 16 GB movie from D: (which the 2nd partition in this SSD) onto another location in D:

The write speed I see in Windows goes from 420 MB/S at first, drops to 370 MB/S within 2 seconds, then keeps dropping gradually all the way until it reaches a stable 135 MB/S

This sound very crappy to me and I think that compression in ATTO Disk Benchmarks is just a gimmick because who uses compression??

Hope someone can shed some light on the above

Thanks

rewben
04-26-2013, 11:42 AM
it's a sandforce ssd. read here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SandForce) for more information (especially the Technology section)

As a byproduct, data that cannot readily be compressed (for example random data, encrypted files or partitions, compressed files, or many common audio and video file formats) is slower to write.

yeah sandforce will look good in ATTO Disk Benchmarks.

it's better to use CrystalDisk Mark and AS SSD Benchmark because many confirmed that these produce better results that are closer to real life usage (especially incompressible data).

Matrix Leader
04-26-2013, 12:12 PM
it's a sandforce ssd. read here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SandForce) for more information (especially the Technology section)

yeah sandforce will look good in ATTO Disk Benchmarks.

it's better to use CrystalDisk Mark and AS SSD Benchmark because many confirmed that these produce better results that are closer to real life usage (especially incompressible data).

Yeah I was thinking, ATTO disk benchmark is bull$hit because in real windows usage, data is not compressed. So ATTO Disk benchmarks means nothing

do you think if I right click on C: and D: which are my SSD partitions and choose to compress all data it would be a good thing or would I not notice a difference?

rewben
04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
Yeah I was thinking, ATTO disk benchmark is bull$hit because in real windows usage, data is not compressed. So ATTO Disk benchmarks means nothing

do you think if I right click on C: and D: which are my SSD partitions and choose to compress all data it would be a good thing or would I not notice a difference?

most, if not all, benchmarks of ssd's are based on atto. with it we can compare to see if they are performing at the advertised speed.

i'm not sure about the second one. you need to do some leg work about that sorry.

Matrix Leader
04-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Just uninstalled this crappy SSD and taking it back for a refund tomorrow

I put my old LAT-256 back in for now

The only other option they have in stock (crap like this is limited in Dubai) is a Transcend 512GB 2.5" SATA III SSD720 Solid State Internal Drive (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860043-REG/Transcend_TS512GSSD720_512GB_2_5_SATA_III.html)

but I cannot find any reviews on it so I will take my laptop and clone my disk to it there and test it over there!

sigh....

rewben
04-26-2013, 05:10 PM
if you're looking for performance ssd's, maybe you can try order it from sites like newegg.com.

currently i think sammy's 840 pro and ocz vector are at the top (but expensive). another one worth mentioning is plextor's m5 pro extreme 512gb (the best choice for now, price/gb and performance wise imo)

Matrix Leader
04-26-2013, 05:18 PM
but I don't think newegg ships internationally do they

I guess I can ship it to my uncle over there in GA and have him send it to me to Dubai

Is the Samsung 840 Pro the best SSD in the market now?

rewben
04-26-2013, 05:19 PM
oh.. right sorry :/

cheek
04-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Just uninstalled this crappy SSD and taking it back for a refund tomorrow

I put my old LAT-256 back in for now

The only other option they have in stock (crap like this is limited in Dubai) is a Transcend 512GB 2.5" SATA III SSD720 Solid State Internal Drive (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860043-REG/Transcend_TS512GSSD720_512GB_2_5_SATA_III.html)

but I cannot find any reviews on it so I will take my laptop and clone my disk to it there and test it over there!

sigh....

i'm pretty sure the ssd is not "crappy" as evident by others on this forum who posted 500+ write speed. unless of course you really got a bad drive.
trace back what u did. you must have done something.

Clintlgm
04-26-2013, 08:28 PM
I think Amazon does and there price it not that high $464 I think for 540 gb http://askville.amazon.com/amazon-ship-internationally/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=86599921 hope this helps?

Matrix Leader
04-26-2013, 09:44 PM
i'm pretty sure the ssd is not "crappy" as evident by others on this forum who posted 500+ write speed. unless of course you really got a bad drive.
trace back what u did. you must have done something.

no man it is, Others are only doing ATTO Disk Benchmarks which uses compressed data for the test and I also got the same good results as them.

But what really matter in real life is the benchmarks with normal data like CrystalDisk Mark and AS SSD Benchmark which the drive sucks big time at