PDA

View Full Version : Need help with G75VX overclocking.

ROG-Daniel
04-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I just bought a Asus G75VX laptop about 2 months ago. To be honest, its was a good gaming laptop. But I want to get the most out of it from this model. This model doesn't perform very well on Metro 2033 and Grand Theft IV.

I want to try overclocking my laptop so I've created this thread and I want you guys to share your experiences and tips for overclocking with me and what softwares out there that can overclock my laptop. Thanks and take care.

Btw the Asus GPU Tweak doesn't work on my laptop. It says Bios load fail whenever I try to run it. Any advice?

gokica
04-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Use EVGA precision or MSI afterburner. Feel free to max the values +135 core / +1000 memory.

Djask
04-30-2013, 08:35 PM
I reccommend u ease the memory up slowly. :)

ROG-Daniel
05-01-2013, 12:30 PM
^what do you mean ease the memory up slowly? And what memory are you referring to? Ram? Video memory?

TokoDude
05-01-2013, 03:54 PM
The Core Clock MHz

you need to ease that slowly up because that has the most impact and if you do it to high you will get art effects and if it's really high it shutdowns your computer it crashes.

WARNING DO NOT APPLY OVERCLOCKING AT STARTUP!!!!
And your warranty is gone when overclocking.

ZeroBarrier
05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
The Core Clock MHz

you need to ease that slowly up because that has the most impact and if you do it to high you will get art effects and if it's really high it shutdowns your computer it crashes.

Artifacts are produced by faulty video memory and/or when the video memory has been clocked too high, not by the core. The only thing that will happen when clocking the core too high is a driver crash, a full hard lock of the notebook, or a blue screen followed by a reboot.

WARNING DO NOT APPLY OVERCLOCKING AT STARTUP!!!!
And your warranty is gone when overclocking.

No, it's doesn't void your warranty. What voids your warranty is modifying BIOS/vBIOS to overvolt and overclock. Software overclocking doesn't void your warranty. This has already been discussed ad nauseum.

TokoDude
05-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Well if I put my core clock to high i get art effects. And all other people 2.

See this video i can get some other links for ya that it is true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBeBR4lkkM8

About the warranty i didnít know that ASUS didnít void it. But most other company's do void there warranty so I though itís a common thing
i only knew that MSI it isnít a problem to overclock. :rolleyes:

Dreamonic
05-02-2013, 01:50 AM
Overclocking lesson 101:

If your memory is set too high, a driver crash, BSOD or small black/green/red..let's just say multicolored dots to lines will appear in random locations on-screen in benching, games.. etc. You will know when you see them!

If your core clock is too high, you will get long sprite like artifacts that appear horizontally or vertically. Most of the time they look like long, stretched triangles or jaggies that protrude from textures in anything on-screen in benching, games.. etc; This accompanied by a driver crash or BSOD.

Most of the time while you are adjusting your clocks, you need to be looking for these visual anomalies until they aren't appearing anymore. I would try some newer game titles that push your card to the limits (with temp increase no more than 85įC) to check for clock stability. Most stress tests like Furmark or OCCT can be misleading because while they might pass now, in games your overclock may result in fails. Use games to check your clock stability, cannot stress this enough.

So which is better, increasing memory or core clocks?

This varies with certain factory cards, but key to more performance is with a higher core clock. Increasing memory clock will have very little gain but is essential with increased core to go hand in hand. Most have gone +1000 on the memory with the 670MX; The 660M most have gotten +500.

It all depends on the quality of your chip.

What OC utility should be used?

Most people will say MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X... I say, find what fits your needs and stick with it. Do not use nvidiaInspector however, it has been known to lower performance when overclocking using forced P-states to go beyond 135 on the core (comparing to a modded vBIOS running with similar clocks.) I know this because currently I am running my 660M @ 1.25v, 150mV above stock with the following:

- Increase voltage
- Fixed thermal throttle
- Fixed voltage throttle
- Increased core limit
- Increased core clock
- Increased memory clock
- Increased boost limit

The highest clock I've seen is Zero's holding the 3DMARK11 record for the 660M; Gokica holds the record on 3DMARK11 with the first boosted Kepler ASUS 670MX.

We have tweaked our vBIOS's to run our stable clocks without needing OC software to do it.

The [DGZ KR3W] has modded the G55 and the G75VW/VX vBIOS's. It took a few weeks to figure everything out while including the time spent in our day-to-day jobs but we managed to pull everything off. We got a great group of individuals with much dedication to the mission.

To you newly overclockers:

I would read up on everything about your system and choice of software and join the rest of the community here with the wealth of information at your disposal, get more familiar with what you've acquired. If you want something bad enough... you'll get it!

It just takes a discovery that turns yourself patient.

ROG-Daniel
05-02-2013, 01:53 AM
So how slowly should I increase the core clock and memory clock? And when and what circumstances should I stop increasing?

Dreamonic
05-02-2013, 02:00 AM
You will be fine setting your core to the boost limit of 135 in MSI or EVGA allows for. This really isn't even a mild OC, so do not worry about slowly increasing to your 135 limit here. The memory is so-so. You can try anywhere under +1000 on the memory. If you do some searching on this forum, you will find what the majority have been able to reach. Use this as your guide to find your own.

Your max without overvolting or increased boost limit is 135/1000 unless you choose to use nvidiaInspector or a modded vBIOS. So at what point you ask? Currently at stock, stock limit of 135/1000 is. Constant crashing or BSOD's, hangs indicate system instability due to unstable clocks, at that point, back the highest set clock down and test again.

Dreamonic
05-02-2013, 02:36 AM
This is what it took me in voltage to get to 1300 on the core! I swear I must have the worst 660M here! Temps on air reach close to 86įC in benching with this voltage. I bet anything under 60% would need 1.3v and up to reach it.

;)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2gx3dc2.png

somejoshdude
05-02-2013, 02:53 AM
Hey all!

Been a while, but I can say that Asus has done something right with their GTX 670mx offering.

I have a volt mod completed with unlocked overclock sliders and have reached a plentiful 1001 // 2600.

If you are interested in vbios modifications, you can google KLEM or SVET..

Flashing a custom VBIOS is not supported by your warranty but can grant you EXTREME performance increases.

After hours of gaming, I am at a consistent yet stable 80C.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6505572

75.4 Score 1899 Unique Heaven Benchmark

Thank you,
--Joshua Norman

Dreamonic
05-02-2013, 02:59 AM
While that is nice, we managed to put the 670MX near the mild OC'd 7970M territory with our modded 670MX vBIOS with our volt mod and completely OC software free.

Thanks.

somejoshdude
05-02-2013, 04:38 AM
While that is nice, we managed to put the 670MX near the mild OC'd 7970M territory with our modded 670MX vBIOS with our volt mod and completely OC software free.

Thanks.

I'd say that's pretty substantial for a laptop that is only $1250.

ROG-Daniel
05-02-2013, 11:02 AM
^Hmmm ok. For testing can I use my games for testing? Or test from some benchmarking softwares?

diogogmaio
01-28-2014, 05:01 PM
+135 core / +1000 memory it's my current mild OC.
I want better could you tell me how?
The steps...I know it's some time unsafe but I want to maximize my gaming.
Please Reply.

I have a G75VX, 32 gb RAM...all the stuff...