PDA

View Full Version : G75VW-DH72 SSD Upgrade and Keeping Windows 8 - Ive tried different things

bignadad
04-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Okay, i have been through these threads all morning and i still can't come up with anything conclusive.

I purchased the G75VW-DH72-3D and i hate that the SSD drive is partitioned. I wanted one partition for Windows8 and i figured i would go ahead and put a 512gb SSD in it.

So after reading through all these forum post on this site i get so much conflicted information..

I would honestly rather install a fresh copy of windows 8 (not pro) and be on my way.

I booted up the original drive and got the product key that came with the computer. I put my new SSD drive into laptop and windows 8 (not pro) dvd and it started setup but product key would not work.

So then after looking the windows version has to match what your product key. So now im burning the en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso and going to try it. BUT i compared the sha1 to the thread it was posted on and its a mismatch so im assuming the iso has been altered!

So then i tried active disk image software. Figured i could just copy the os partition off the old drive to the new one and open the rest of the space up. Well when doing this i realized the EFI, and recovery partitions are on orig drive. ive tried to copy those over but i can get them to replicated like they should. meaning the type of parition.

Like i said i would love to do a clean install but this is the hardest install i have ever done and i dont understand why. i have formatted computers for years now.

What should i do?

bignadad
04-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Would i be okay just copying the os partition and not the efi and recovery partitions?

Matrix Leader
04-30-2013, 06:33 PM
The reason your product key is not working is because the key on your laptop is an OEM key while the Windows 8 image you downloaded is a retail DVD

Sorry can't help you on Windows 8 as I despite that OS. if you wanna upgrade to Windows 7 I can guide you step by step

Shawnnepc
04-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Okay, i have been through these threads all morning and i still can't come up with anything conclusive.

I purchased the G75VW-DH72-3D and i hate that the SSD drive is partitioned. I wanted one partition for Windows8 and i figured i would go ahead and put a 512gb SSD in it.

So after reading through all these forum post on this site i get so much conflicted information..

I would honestly rather install a fresh copy of windows 8 (not pro) and be on my way.

I booted up the original drive and got the product key that came with the computer. I put my new SSD drive into laptop and windows 8 (not pro) dvd and it started setup but product key would not work.

So then after looking the windows version has to match what your product key. So now im burning the en_windows_8_x64_dvd_915440.iso and going to try it. BUT i compared the sha1 to the thread it was posted on and its a mismatch so im assuming the iso has been altered!

So then i tried active disk image software. Figured i could just copy the os partition off the old drive to the new one and open the rest of the space up. Well when doing this i realized the EFI, and recovery partitions are on orig drive. ive tried to copy those over but i can get them to replicated like they should. meaning the type of parition.

Like i said i would love to do a clean install but this is the hardest install i have ever done and i dont understand why. i have formatted computers for years now.

What should i do?

Huge FYI: Windows 8 is going to make different partitions as a default because of the nature of EFI.

If you are talking about the OS / DATA split you could delete the data partition and expand the OS partition on the old SSD.

We use a version of Win8 that's provided by our MSFT partner program so I don't have any experience as a end user reinstalling Windows 8.

Past that, the next best thing would be to purchase the recovery media from ASUS @ the estore.

bignadad
04-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Huge FYI: Windows 8 is going to make different partitions as a default because of the nature of EFI.

If you are talking about the OS / DATA split you could delete the data partition and expand the OS partition on the old SSD.

We use a version of Win8 that's provided by our MSFT partner program so I don't have any experience as a end user reinstalling Windows 8.

Past that, the next best thing would be to purchase the recovery media from ASUS @ the estore.

"If you are talking about the OS / DATA split you could delete the data partition and expand the OS partition on the old SSD."

I think that is what im going to do. wish i could upgrade to this bigger ssd but seems to be a pain

So i just delete the data partition. how do i expand the os partition?

Matrix Leader
04-30-2013, 07:57 PM
"If you are talking about the OS / DATA split you could delete the data partition and expand the OS partition on the old SSD."

I think that is what im going to do. wish i could upgrade to this bigger ssd but seems to be a pain

you can use Minitool Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.8 (http://www.majorgeeks.com/MiniTool_Partition_Wizard_Home_Edition_d6175.html) to resize partitions

Shawnnepc
04-30-2013, 08:01 PM

For vista, but still the same:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/95418-disk-management-delete-extend.html

Will DELETE EVERYTHING ON THE DATA PARTITION

bignadad
04-30-2013, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys. I just found the correct version of windows 8 with the right sha1 code. Going to load is on usb and try it first.

If that doesnt work then i guess im going to use the stock ssd and delete the data and merge that with os.

I really wanted the 512gb ssd so hopefully this will work.

Shawnnepc
04-30-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys. I just found the correct version of windows 8 with the right sha1 code. Going to load is on usb and try it first.

If that doesnt work then i guess im going to use the stock ssd and delete the data and merge that with os.

I really wanted the 512gb ssd so hopefully this will work.

If it still doesn't you can use http://www.acronis.eu/homecomputing/products/migrateeasy/

Mount both drives in the system and transfer away

bignadad
04-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Okay using the correct version of windows 8 i finally got past the product key.

So im installing windows now. Hopefully this will work :D

bignadad
04-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Just as an fyi to anyone needing it i got the untouched windows iso from here

EDIT: Removed as it violates Microsoft's distribution agreements sorry.