PDA

View Full Version : Problem with VirtualBox?

Aliasmk
05-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Hi all.
Around Christmas time I installed Oracle virtualbox. I began to notice my computer freezing randomly, even though I had the virtual box network adapter disabled and virtual box itsself not running. Looking at the event log and comparing starts to times I had to crash it by holding the power button, I traced where the problem begin; the day I installed virtualbox.

Thinking it was a fluke, forgetting the previous problem, i dont exactly remember but 2 months ago I reinstalled Virtualbox. Same problem. I have now uninstalled it.

Im running a G75VW with the 670M. Anyone else had a problem with VirtualBox or random crashes?

BTW, the crashes usually begin with applications not responding to scrolling, then mouse clicks, then the mouse freezes. Meanwhile what ever audio was playing still plays and the harddrive light still occasionally flashes. I am forced to shut it off by holding the power button.

dstrakele
05-02-2013, 12:34 AM
System Lockups such as you describe typically result from driver conflicts. Antivirus, AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Administration, and Disk Management software drivers are the usual suspects in these conflicts. Selective uninstallation of such software, followed by a reboot, can be used to further troubleshoot the problem.

Aliasmk
05-02-2013, 12:41 AM
Thank you for your reply.
I've tried selective starting as one thing, as well as changed my system configuration around interms of the programs and drivers I use but consistently now and after christmas, it all started with VirtualBox. As far as I know the only driver that Virtual Box installs is the network adapter, which I disabled.
Even if it was disabled, could it affect my system?

Zygomorphic
05-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Shouldn't, but Virtual Box installs several drivers: network, USB, and some others (I don't remember). They can cause problems. :(

dstrakele
05-02-2013, 03:15 AM
Selective startup, stopping application services, and changing system configuration are generally ineffective in troubleshooting driver conflicts, particularly with 3rd party Antivirus software. Drivers may still be loaded at startup anyway as long as the software is installed. Windows cannot stop kernel mode drivers on the fly. The system must be rebooted to unload the driver.

The only way to be truly sure you've eliminated a suspect driver is to uninstall the program and reboot. Even then, incomplete uninstallations may leave problematic drivers still running on your system. This is where utilities like CCleaner have a purpose.

You did well troubleshooting the Event Logs to determine the problem originated with VirtualBox. Perhaps some additional examination of the System and Application Event Log Warnings and Errors could point you in a direction to identify the other culprit.

Another troubleshooting method is to enable Windows Driver Verifier. The system will then BlueScreen rather than lock up and the resulting Memory Dump file may be analyzed to determine the culprits involved in the conflict.

Aliasmk
05-02-2013, 09:43 PM
I examined all the event logs, and there was nothing that consistantly showed up, which really stumped me.
I haven't had any lockups since then, and am still watching for them now that its uninstalled. I'll update this thread in a week with whether or not it worked.
Thanks for your help :)