PDA

View Full Version : ASUS G51v Overheats during gaming

Madmacabre
05-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi guys, I should have found this forum years ago! Ive had my laptop for about 4 years ago now and its been the best laptop Ive ever had.

A few months back my laptop started overheating and crashing everytime I played youtube videos, movies etc. I thought I fixed tthe problem with removing the old cooling paste from the cpu and graphics card (just a tiny dab!).

Everything works fine except when playing Java based games such as Runescape. It will run for about an hour then completely **** the bed!

Anyone know of a way to get it running like normal again, or is my graphics card on its way out?

Thank you so much!

Mike

Madmacabre
05-06-2013, 12:49 AM
Forgot to mention I added a drop of Artic silver to the cpus, cleaned the vents, fans working fine etc.

Zygomorphic
05-06-2013, 01:14 AM
I'll bet it is a failing video card then. If you really cleaned the vents and repasted the GPU properly (and I believe you did), then you shouldn't have any cooling problems. Question: do you know how much thermal paste to put on? I don't, but from what I have read around this forum, if you get too little or too much, you'll have overheating problems.

Madmacabre
05-06-2013, 03:10 AM
I'll bet it is a failing video card then. If you really cleaned the vents and repasted the GPU properly (and I believe you did), then you shouldn't have any cooling problems. Question: do you know how much thermal paste to put on? I don't, but from what I have read around this forum, if you get too little or too much, you'll have overheating problems.

Most recommend on applying a small droplet of coolent and once the heating pads have been placed over, it spreads through the entire cpu. It seems like the graphics card is the culprit in the in the overheating, but Im not sure if replacing the card is worth it since it costs about 120$

Zygomorphic
05-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Most recommend on applying a small droplet of coolent and once the heating pads have been placed over, it spreads through the entire cpu. It seems like the graphics card is the culprit in the in the overheating, but Im not sure if replacing the card is worth it since it costs about 120$

I thought you were supposed to spread it around a little bit, but OK. I'd agree with you and say that replacing just the video card is a waste of time and money. At the age of your computer, you can get a much nicer (ROG) system for a little over $1000. I'd save your money and go that route, unless you can find the necessary video card for $20-30 or less.

Madmacabre
05-07-2013, 03:17 AM
Do you think possibly updating to windows 8 or just re installing windows would have ANY effect? I may try that but its just a pain in the butt! It makes me wonder about the nvidea driver update had something to do with it as well...

Myk SilentShadow
05-07-2013, 03:27 AM
Zyg: nah mate, you don't *have* to spread the TIM for it to cover the CPU/GPU, I never have yet and I don't have any problems whatsoever :)

Madmacabre: How long has it been since you last clean installed to your laptop?

Madmacabre
05-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Zyg: nah mate, you don't *have* to spread the TIM for it to cover the CPU/GPU, I never have yet and I don't have any problems whatsoever :)

Madmacabre: How long has it been since you last clean installed to your laptop?

The last clean install was in August or so and I only noticed problems about two months ago. I also have a "naughty" copy of windows 7. Perhaps that could also be causing the overheating as well?

Madmacabre
05-07-2013, 03:58 AM
FYI im Running a java game now and my gpu is at 95c so far..

Zygomorphic
05-07-2013, 10:20 AM
The last clean install was in August or so and I only noticed problems about two months ago. I also have a "naughty" copy of windows 7. Perhaps that could also be causing the overheating as well?

The "Naughty" no, but you should just purchase a license, because that's the right thing to do. If your laptop came with Windows 7, you can download the ISO from Microsoft - legally! - and punch in the product code on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop.