PDA

View Full Version : Got Windows 8, wanting to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro

Pygon
05-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Hi all.

I recently received my spanking new G75VW-RH71 laptop. Runs great, love it.

However, it only came with a single 750gb 7200 hdd with Win8 Home Premium installed. I plan to trick it out with an SSD boot drive and a new 750gb 7200 drive for data with Windows 8 Pro.

When I pulled out the original 750gb drive, plugged in the SSD and did a practice install of Win8 Pro, I noticed that the installation used the same product key that the original hdd had on it. Apparently it's being read from the BIOS somewhere, and my Win8 Pro install didn't even ask for a key. So the SSD is currently running Win8 Home Premium instead of Pro.

I'd like to enter the Pro key to unlock the Pro features.

My question is this:

With the original HDD removed and replaced with a new SSD and new HDD, if I install Win8 Pro and enter the product key to get the Pro features, will that in any way goof up the BIOS-written key or interfere with my ability to go back to the original hdd system with Win8 Home Premium if I so decide?

Thanks for any insight.

Additional note: With only the new SSD installed, Asus Live Update is screaming that my recovery partition needs to be repaired. I don't plan to do that with only the new drives in the system! When I removed the SSD and put the original HDD back in, naturally, that alert went away.

Shawnnepc
05-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Nope, key is written to BIOS.

If for some reason you ever need to reinstall, you'll need to go through the Pro upgrade process again.

It's probably complaining because you don't have a recovery partition installed on the SSD.

Many forum goers recommend removing the ASUS update utility as it has been known to be problematic

Hi all.

I recently received my spanking new G75VW-RH71 laptop. Runs great, love it.

However, it only came with a single 750gb 7200 hdd with Win8 Home Premium installed. I plan to trick it out with an SSD boot drive and a new 750gb 7200 drive for data with Windows 8 Pro.

When I pulled out the original 750gb drive, plugged in the SSD and did a practice install of Win8 Pro, I noticed that the installation used the same product key that the original hdd had on it. Apparently it's being read from the BIOS somewhere, and my Win8 Pro install didn't even ask for a key. So the SSD is currently running Win8 Home Premium instead of Pro.

I'd like to enter the Pro key to unlock the Pro features.

My question is this:

With the original HDD removed and replaced with a new SSD and new HDD, if I install Win8 Pro and enter the product key to get the Pro features, will that in any way goof up the BIOS-written key or interfere with my ability to go back to the original hdd system with Win8 Home Premium if I so decide?

Thanks for any insight.

Additional note: With only the new SSD installed, Asus Live Update is screaming that my recovery partition needs to be repaired. I don't plan to do that with only the new drives in the system! When I removed the SSD and put the original HDD back in, naturally, that alert went away.

Pygon
05-09-2013, 03:20 AM
I assume you're saying that when I enter the Pro key, it will be written to the BIOS, and I'll be stuck with all installations of Win8 being in Pro mode unless I enter a different key at a later time.

It seems odd, then, that we aren't provided with the original product key so we can revert to a true factory default setup if we recover from the partition. Thanks for the info.

rewben
05-09-2013, 05:03 AM
@Pygon, no; what @Shawnnepc meant was the w8 key is embedded permanently into bios, it will not be overwritten (unless you know how to change it at bios level).

to overwrite the bios-stored w8 key is to put the w8 pro key in pid.txt in the installation media (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28632-Windows-8-Clean-Install&p=219961&viewfull=1#post219961).

Zygomorphic
05-09-2013, 10:25 AM
I assume you're saying that when I enter the Pro key, it will be written to the BIOS, and I'll be stuck with all installations of Win8 being in Pro mode unless I enter a different key at a later time.

It seems odd, then, that we aren't provided with the original product key so we can revert to a true factory default setup if we recover from the partition. Thanks for the info.

No, the Win 8 Home Premium (Whatever was factory-installed) key is encoded into the BIOS. The other one is just an override key that can be input into Win 8 at any time. It isn't stored in the BIOS, so if you wipe the installation, that key goes away and must be re-entered into the system.

Pygon
05-10-2013, 03:02 AM
Thanks for the info, all.

After all that bother, the key I have for Pro isn't being accepted. I'm guessing because it's an OEM key instead of an Upgrade key.

Too bad I didn't know that the laptop would force the initial key to come from the BIOS. That must have been what was meant by putting the key on a USB stick for the install, so that the install takes that key instead.

Live and learn.

Zygomorphic
05-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Yes, that's the issue with OEM vs Upgrade keys. You might be able to install from USB by turning off Launch CSM and Secure Boot (the process you have to go through to install LINUX).