PDA

View Full Version : G55vw shutdown issues after 2nd hard drive install in ODD bay

dantell
05-09-2013, 05:52 AM
Looking for clues. I have this laptop and replaced the DVD with a hard disk for more storage. The 2nd HD works fine, no issues i have found with its operation. I have tried 2 different HD's in it because the laptop acts strangely on shutdown most times with it installed. Sometimes it acts strangely on bootup but thats more rare.

I am running windows 8 pro, everything has been updated to the most current. Most times when i put the laptop to sleep or full shutdown everything appears to turn off (screen goes dark, mouse lights shut off, keyboard lights turn off, most activity lights go out) but the charge light and one other light stay on, i think there is a fan running slowly. They almost never turn off. I have to do the 5 second power button shut down.

Sometimes the machine wont boot back up. If you press the power button it lights up for about 1.5 seconds and it appears to be a normal bootup, but then it just shuts off again. If i disconnect the ODD caddy it will boot up again and operate normally. Except occasionally it all runs perfectly. It may run and shutdown/bootup fine for a day or two. then it starts acting strangely again. I have looked for newer BIOS, i have updated the Intel chipset drivers thinking it was power related. I have tried 3 power adapters. I have tried running it with and without the battery.

Other than this the laptop runs fine. I can use the second hard disk and i dont see any operational issues with it. I put the 2nd hard disk in as a short term fix until i buy an SSD. The caddy is just a generic one i got from amazon, it fits fine. I dont know if its the port on the MB or the caddy. I dont think its the 2nd drive as i tried 2 of them. Has anyone seen this issue before? I did upgrade the memory to 24gb a while back, but it has operated perfectly fine like that until i put in the 2nd HD.

Many thanks.

rewben
05-09-2013, 06:50 AM
i am like you: running w8 pro with replacement hdd caddy for additional storage (i have also filled up my msata slot and hdd bay with ssd's). i have no problem with ssd in the replacement hdd caddy.

i am not sure what's going wrong but i only use minimal set of drivers:
1. atk package;
2. atheros ethernet;
3. previously atheros wifi and now intel 6235 wifi;
4. intel chipset driver;
5. intel RST driver;
6. nvidia gpu driver;
7. VIA sound driver;
8. elan touchpad driver.

in power settings, i use high performance power plan and i disable the 'turn off hard disk' option in it.

dstrakele
05-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Do you see any Errors or Warnings in the Windows System or Application Event Logs during the failed shutdown/startups?

dantell
05-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Just a standard the system rebooted without shutting down cleanly. When it bombs on startup, it never gets far enough to log anything. It doesnt have time to show anything on the screen.

Thanks for the response.

Loukno
09-04-2013, 04:06 AM
*bump*
I'm having the same issue, i had this before changing the dvd tray for a second hdd bay, but it wasn't as often as now. Every time i try to shut down or restart the computer, the power indicators stays on, and so does the fans, i have to hold the power button to properly shut it down, also, when trying to put the computer to sleep, the indicator LED's turn off, but the fans stay on. I have tried the operation with safe mode and clean boot, and the result is the same. Any kind of help is welcome.

ggBanks
09-04-2013, 05:26 AM
I have had a similar issue, and solved it by doing a complete reinstall of the Windows. Somehow it seems that the OS does not pair with the drive if it wasn't there from the initial installation, and I believe reinstallation is the only way to solve it

Loukno
09-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Ok, the problem seems to be gone now, apparently this issue was caused by the second hdd tray, whenever i put the second hdd i get this issue, and when i remove it and put the odd back on, the problem is fixed. Could this issue be caused by the incompatibility of the odd sata for hdds?