PDA

View Full Version : install xp on 2d hard drive

stormdog3
05-10-2013, 05:46 AM
I disconnected my win 7 hdd and put in a 320gb sata hdd, and tried to install xp home edition sp2. The cd loaded files
but asus stopped the install and shut down the computer. Error something about harming the cptr.
If I had used a 1TB disk and tried install of xp sp3 would that make a difference? Has anyone had success in installing
xp on a g75vw? The drive I used wasn't formatted--would that be the problem? I know this can be done, but I'm
stuck. Any replies will be appreciated.

Pitcher@asus
05-10-2013, 06:23 AM
i think it is able to install and XP SP2 and SP3 is not difference, i am curious why you can not install. and could you tell more detial or post error photo?

Zygomorphic
05-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Don't try a 1 TB drive, that can only cause more problems (advanced format [4K sector] drives). Try formatting the 320 GB drive to NTFS first, and then try installing. To be honest, XP is so old that I would recommend going with Win 7 as your base OS and XP in a VM (www.virtualbox.org). That usually works better, since Win 7 can handle the larger drives and later hardware.

Shameless plug: Alternately, you can install LINUX as your base OS and run Windows in a VM (like @fostert). :cool: