DvvDROG
05-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi. New in Asus Download.

-Backup factory Image: Usb Device +14Gb

-Backup ASUS Driver/Application: Usb Device +3Gb

-System Recovery: Refresh system
Reset system

Link Update
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8/ASUSBacktracker/AsusBacktracker_Win8_64_VER200.zip

TokoDude
05-12-2013, 08:56 PM
file not found XD

tkolarik
05-13-2013, 03:56 AM
Downloaded fine for me!

Dedi
05-13-2013, 07:20 AM
So if I made a clean install with Win 8 Pro when i bought my G75, i can't use this to recover my old Win 8 that came with my laptop?

Zygomorphic
05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
So if I made a clean install with Win 8 Pro when i bought my G75, i can't use this to recover my old Win 8 that came with my laptop?
I believe that depends on whether or not you repartitioned the drive. If you just over-wrote the Win 8 partition, and there was a separate recovery partition (I don't if MS still has this), then yes you could. If there was no recovery partition, or if it got over-written, then no. Please post a screenshot of Windows' partition manager and we can tell you definitively. ("Start"->search for "partitions"->click on "create and format hard disk partitions").

pathfindercod
05-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Awesome!!! Finally asus release a way to backup the factory drive!!!! So you can restore to new replacement drive... I bet they got DOZENS of laptop back from best buy with people screwing up boot drives...

Dedi
05-14-2013, 07:31 AM
I formatted the 750gb HDD and installed the OS on a SSD. I did not even start the computer when i got it, I had to have the OS on an SSD. But i got a free Win8 copy from school, but now i have a legit Win 8 key in my Bios that i cant recover and use, that is just not that good IMO.

Zygomorphic
05-14-2013, 10:23 AM
I don't think that you will have a problem, since the key is locked in the BIOS to that computer. You would need to point Windows at the BIOS key (alternately, it may be on a sticker on the bottom of the machine).

Dedi
05-15-2013, 11:39 AM
I am going to try that when my school semester is done.

pka4916
05-15-2013, 11:32 PM
You can only backup to USB ?
Also my USB needs to be bigger then 14 Gb ?
The Hidden partition is only 1 Gb
what am I missing here?????????????

rewben
05-16-2013, 01:35 AM
from the release note, it needs a hdd-usb/external hdd (please correct me if i'm wrong).

the recovery partition from asus is more than 1gb.

pka4916
05-16-2013, 01:54 AM
True.. didn't think about that..
but still the 1st hidden part = 1 Gb and the other hidden one is 20Gb..
I'll try it with my USB HDD.. would have been nice if there was an option to make 4 DVD's
w'll see what happens... lol

pka4916
05-16-2013, 01:56 AM
ugh... It will wipe out my whole USB HDD of 1 Tb... that's a NO NO to me.

rewben
05-16-2013, 02:04 AM
ugh... It will wipe out my whole USB HDD of 1 Tb... that's a NO NO to me.

oh; yeah the recovery tool will back up the hidden one with 20gb (that's the actual recovery partition from asus for your laptop).

i think it's better to get an empty external hdd for this.

pka4916
05-16-2013, 02:07 AM
backing up my 1 drive to the other one...
Then I'll leave the data on it so I can see if it really wipes it out.

pka4916
05-16-2013, 05:12 AM
ok..
it's creating an image now...

I had 2 partitions on my USB-HDD

They both got wiped out :(
Created a new 20Gb partition seems like it, and nothing else is happening..
had It sit for over an hour and nothing was happening..

rewben
05-16-2013, 06:46 AM
wo.. it's extremely destructive! thank you for sharing this with us!

uh? did you mean there was no sign telling you that the process was completed? that's weird.

pka4916
05-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Correct. it makes no sense why it needs to wipe everything out..Why not just creating a set of ISO/image files..
it seems to work for the 1st 30 seconds when it creates the new partitions on your drive, unhide the hidden partitions
and that's the end of it
Tried rebooting
Tried Run as Admin.
Nothing worked.

The backup Asus Drivers works.. But that's a simple filecopy.

pka4916
05-16-2013, 04:27 PM
anyone else tried this and got it to work?

PetitOursBrun39
05-16-2013, 04:36 PM
For me the 1st option works (creating the usb key for restauration), but not the 2nd one (for the drivers) because it crashes when trying to access the usb key...
it looks like a beta release, not really good tested ! Or it's due to the fact that I've cloned my original HD to a SSD...

pka4916
05-16-2013, 05:27 PM
Did you used an USB Stick or HDD ?
HDD is failing for me.. Going to buy a Stick and see if that one works.

PetitOursBrun39
05-16-2013, 06:02 PM
I used a USB key for the 1st option (recovery) and tried both USB key and USB hard disk with the same result for the 2nd option (drivers).
I've also tried 1st option with an old SATA disk and plugged it as usb using a sata-to-usb dock. It worked fine too.

If I have time to spend, I have try to remove the SSD and reinstall the original HD before retrying the 2nd option to see if it's really buggy.
The driver disk is less important because we can download the last version of drivers on the asus website, and they'll be newer as the original ones.
If I have a lot of time to spend, I will change the SSD by a newer and bigger one and try to use the recovery usb key to reinstall. I'll have to reinstall all my applications after that). And because I use my laptop daily at work, I have to wait for holidays...

pka4916
05-16-2013, 07:21 PM
Interesting.. I will give it a shot tonight.. just bought a 16Gb stick.
All I can think of is that I installed the program normally. and not with a Right-click and selected Run as Manager.
My guess then the Driver thing wouldn't work for me then.. but that one worked.

pka4916
05-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Tried it with a USB stick and also for that one... frozen.... stuck on creating Boot sector

Tried 3 different mediums..
1 Tb HDD
500 Gb HDD
1 16Gb Stick

all faling for me..

pka4916
05-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Contacted support and they can't do anything for me

rewben
05-17-2013, 02:27 AM
Contacted support and they can't do anything for me

ah.. perhaps some friends here who have intact stock drives could help you to test it :/

pka4916
05-17-2013, 04:20 AM
Would be nice..

The option Asus support gave me was to mail in the Laptop for repair... wth.. it's 3-4 weeks old.
Laptop is fine... it's their stupid buggy program that's not working...

mynewrog
05-17-2013, 08:17 AM
Will that work for people that have completely wiped the stock partitions?

I am happy enough with my Windows 7 but in the end I paid for those crappy Win8 and I would like to have them backed up somewhere just in case.

pka4916
05-17-2013, 07:03 PM
i doubt that it will work once you wiped out all the partitions.. since there will be no data..

What I wonder is if there are other people having problems with this tool ?
It's only backing up 37 Mb and then just sits there.

mike929
05-17-2013, 07:29 PM
watching this thread to see how this goes

pka4916
05-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Could it be that it's not working since I have 2 HDD's installed ?
Tried disabling the port, but then the USB ports don't work either :confused:
Before I opened it all up again and remove the drive.. just wanted to check

Zygomorphic
05-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Could it be that it's not working since I have 2 HDD's installed ?
Tried disabling the port, but then the USB ports don't work either :confused:
Before I opened it all up again and remove the drive.. just wanted to check

That shouldn't be a problem, but you can check it by disabling the second HDD SATA port in the BIOS (check under "Security", or something like that). If you already tried this, then I'm sorry, but it would seem odd for the USB ports to be tied to the SATA channels.

pka4916
05-19-2013, 01:34 PM
That shouldn't be a problem, but you can check it by disabling the second HDD SATA port in the BIOS (check under "Security", or something like that). If you already tried this, then I'm sorry, but it would seem odd for the USB ports to be tied to the SATA channels.

That's indeed what I tried.
After that None of my USB ports would not recognize my STicks and External HDD's.

Odd thing is that my mouse did work (plugged into the usb)

it's almost that the Detection is turned off.

Once I enable it, then the USB part is working again

Zygomorphic
05-19-2013, 06:02 PM
That's indeed what I tried.
After that None of my USB ports would not recognize my STicks and External HDD's.

Odd thing is that my mouse did work (plugged into the usb)

it's almost that the Detection is turned off.

Once I enable it, then the USB part is working again

OK. I guess that it must be disabling external HDDs as well. Go figure. :confused:

pka4916
05-21-2013, 02:48 AM
Is there a way to email asus support?
There's so far no way I could email them the issues..
All I get from Support online is that it's my laptop. what is a few weeks old...

Zygomorphic
05-21-2013, 10:23 AM
All I get from Support online is that it's my laptop. what is a few weeks old...

I assume you can, try getting on the support website and looking for an email address.

cl-Albert
05-21-2013, 05:02 PM

If you haven't seen it, you can find the contact information for U.S. and Canadian ASUS support at this page (http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9) which includes email, phone, and chat.
I haven't heard much about this problem yet though, so it may take more time and effort to resolve.

You may also want to try back at the ROG forums too see if we've been able to get more information about it.

pka4916
05-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Working with support on the problem.
Think we might have found the issue.
Seems there is a program not closing in the background..
After closing, then it's working..
only question I responded back is, that how would I know if it backed up all the data.. since I had to cancel a process..

But.. at least there is progress :)

cl-Albert
05-29-2013, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I still haven't finished my testing, but if you didn't already know, I believe ASUS backtracker will only back up the factory image and not the rest of your data, so please be aware of this.

It's probably more for customers who want to reinstall the factory recovery partition to an upgraded or replaced hard drive.

Also, you might want to tell us which program you closed to solve this, but I was wondering if it was something you installed on your end, or came with the unit when you first received it (I'm not expecting it did although I may be wrong).

pka4916
05-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Yes, I wanted a plain factory image, incase I replace my HD.
Since I wanted to try Windows 7 as well, I needed my factory settings :)

Welll... I had my programs installed, since the program didn't exist yet :)

Back to the program..

Task Manager->Detail->then find the "Robocopy" process

Kill that task, and it will continue creating the backup.

I did not try yet to restore from it... gonna need another HDD to do that..
my 2nd HDD is full, so maybe I'll back that one up and use that, to try it out..
But that's goinna be a weekend project.

pka4916
05-30-2013, 03:35 AM
Backed up all my HDD's and took the plunge of restoring with the USB.
Everything went perfect, so the backup program, made a good image.

Now making a blue ray of the image, so I have an extra backup in my archive...
Thought I would share that, that the program does what it suppose to do. Feeling a lot better now I can try to install Windows 7 hehe :)

rewben
05-30-2013, 06:34 AM
nice!

it's better to create images/iso's of the backup and store them in an external hdd, just in case.

Dedi
06-04-2013, 06:47 PM
I can now confirm that, after I removed my original 750HDD and installed 1x120SSD + 1x500SSD without any backup of my old OS. That Windows did find the key automatically, I was not asked to enter any key, and my Windows 8 is activated as it should.

AlexK661
08-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Killing the process gives me an error code from back tracker.
Any solutions to this?

teotwawki
08-29-2013, 03:10 AM
I have done a backup with the Asus Backtracker, and it worked well when I had to restore my notebook.
I used a 16GB pendrive as it's the only option in the program to make the backup (I bought it specifically for that =@ ), and I didn't remove any partition although I would like it.

So I suggest, if you need to make a factory backup, to use this program, but do not delete the backup partitions.

AlexK661
09-09-2013, 08:48 PM
you didn't answer my question... I get stuck after Backtracker does the boot part for the flash drive. afterwards it just won't move, and following the steps from above doesn't help. I think it's due to the fact that i have my windows on an SSD and the recovery image on the old HDD...and maybe the fact that i deleted some partitions...