PDA

View Full Version : Auto Repartioning of SSD Drive

valoisr
05-14-2013, 02:17 AM
Computer is ASUS G74S / 250Gb SSD - 3 partitions / 750Gb HDD - 2 partitions / Widows 7

Based on my description below - unless someone can provide another explanation- I conclude that automatic repartioning of my SSD drive took place:

In a previous post, I was informed that the 1st partition - 25Gb unnamed and not accessible to me - in my SSD drive is the restore area so let's disregard this partition. I'll stick with the other two partitions.

One day I turn on my computer and my SSD drive shows the 1st partition in the red - about 400 Mb (yes MEGA bytes) unused. The 2nd partition was about half full which is OK.
Spent hours trying to figure out what was happening in the 1st partition but to no avail. I look at my drive again and now that bar shows completely white -indicating there's NOTHING on it !!

After some thought, I shut my computer down and turned it on again. Oh my, my 1st partition was in the blue again with about 20Gb available and my 2nd partition had grown to compensate for the "overflow" in the 1st partition.

Yes, I know, I wish that I had been more diligent in taking screenshots and recording in meticulous detail which is usually my process ... looks like I panicked - no doesn't look like, I DID panic.

Long story short, everything's been running just fine for over a week so. And so a few questions:

Did automatic repartitioning take place?
Is there an easy way to turn my two SSD partitions into a single partition? Everything I read about doing this is scary.

Thx, Ray

Pitcher@asus
05-14-2013, 03:31 AM
i think it is normal, please see the website http://www.adata.com.tw/index.php?action=ss_main&page=ss_content_faq&cat=SSD+%E5%9B%BA%E6%85%8B%E7%A1%AC%E7%A2%9F at Q6, also you can try http://www.techbang.com/posts/12827-unknown-system-cannot-be-deleted-through-the-system, sorry..those are chinese webpage.

Zygomorphic
05-14-2013, 10:27 AM
No, automatic partitioning does not occur, to the extent of my knowledge. Sounds like problems with Windows, or with your SSD. If there is a utility for checking your SSD from the SSD vendor, I'd use it. It is possible, however, that Windows was installing updates and resized the pagefile, which will chew up a lot of space. My advice on these points is to move the pagefile to the HDD and turn off hibernation (with an SSD, you won't need it).

valoisr
05-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for info gentlemen ... much appreciated !

Pitcher: yup, Chinese but there's a "translate" on the first site but not very good.

Zgomorphic: I do not have "sleep" active anywhere on this laptop including when I close the lid.

I've attached the paging file info or the various partitions on my SSD and HDD. Do you feel that these settings are OK ?

Thx, Ray

valoisr
05-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi ...

After mucho research, I found this link that seems well presented as well as making a whole lotta sense, well, to me anyhow. Can anyone provide some validation ?

See
http://lifehacker.com/5426041/understanding-the-windows-pagefile-and-why-you-shouldnt-disable-it

Thx, ray

Zygomorphic
05-15-2013, 01:51 AM
Your settings look fine, provided that "DATA" is the actual physical platter drive.

The article seems pretty reasonable, the issue of the pagefile is only truly solved when the user switches to LINUX...:cool:

Check that you have disabled hibernation in the power settings, because the hibernation file is still active. This is one of the dumbest things about Windows, MS can't utilize the hibernation file as the pagefile. :mad: