PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 install CD and Key Code

Dogurasu
05-14-2013, 02:43 AM
I just bought a new ASUS G75VW with Windows 8.

My question is : The computer didn't come with a Windows 8 installation CD or activation Key Code.

What happens if I decide to replace my HDD some day and need to reinstall Windows 8?

Pitcher@asus
05-14-2013, 03:13 AM
ASUS have not provide any restore CD, you can press F9 to restore your OS, if you want to change to other HDD, you can sarch from here, so many people are able to help you do that, i thing you can use ghost utility to do it.

pka4916
05-14-2013, 03:15 AM
f9 does not work... They removed that

slayer2333
05-14-2013, 03:31 AM
You can use software like Belarc Advisor to retrive your Windows 8 serial. Copy it in a safe place and do whatever you want after that. Your windows serial is included within your Bios anyways and should be automatically generated when launching windows 8 installation. But just in case...

Dedi
05-14-2013, 07:21 AM
I have done a clean install with another Win 8 and used another key, because i could not find the key that came with the computer. So is there a way now for me to get back my key?

Prymaldark
05-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Yes, every machine sold with Windows 8 is required to have a small chip embedded that contains the registration key. Your computer will always remember the code that it was shipped with, and should automatically apply it if you attempt to clean install Windows 8 on that machine. The Windows 8 installation process checks the system hardware for the registration chip, and if recognized then it should not even ask the user for a key.

rewben
05-14-2013, 07:54 AM
@Dedi,

to get the key back, just run the w8 clean install without inserting any key. after that, try recover the key for your record with Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html). the w8 installer should never ask for anything for you to proceed.

Dedi
05-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Oh, I should try that, but when my school semester ends. I will came back with the result, in 1 month :)

Vicodin
05-15-2013, 05:32 PM
I used Macrium Reflect before to clone a HDD to a SSD. It worked flawlessy. I tried many others that just would not work. I found a lot would mess up the boot efi partition thing. I don't know why they don't just give you an install disk anymore with a lot of computers. My clevo came with and OEM Windows 7 install disk. So did my friend Alienware.

rewben
05-16-2013, 01:39 AM
I used Macrium Reflect before to clone a HDD to a SSD. It worked flawlessy. I tried many others that just would not work. I found a lot would mess up the boot efi partition thing. I don't know why they don't just give you an install disk anymore with a lot of computers. My clevo came with and OEM Windows 7 install disk. So did my friend Alienware.

well, the working tool (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?32703-AsusBacktracker-Backup-Factory-Image-Windows-8-G75VX) came a few months late (but still, better than never).

Dedi
06-04-2013, 06:46 PM
I can now confirm that, after I removed my original 750HDD and installed 1x120SSD + 1x500SSD without any backup of my old OS. That Windows did find the key automatically, I was not asked to enter any key, and my Windows 8 is activated as it should.