PDA

View Full Version : Trouble w HD partitions in G75 upgrade

ftracy35
05-18-2013, 05:24 PM
This is probably more of a general Windows question but haven't been able to find an answer searching the web. I replaced the 1TBHD on my new G75VX with an SSD and now can't get rid of the original unneeded system partitions on the larger drive. Here are the steps I followed:
1) Cloned the 1TB c: drive with Macrium to the 250 Gig SSD.
2) Swapped the two drives so am now booting from the SSD
3) Renamed d: to Storage (both c and d were named OS)

The problem I'm having is that the additional partitions (restore/recover, and 3 smaller ones..unformatted primary, recovery and FAT32 system) are still cloned on the 1TB drive that contains d:storage and I can't get rid of them through disk management. It sees them but the options to do anything with them are greyed out (the d: volume on that drive can be manipulated, but not the others). I can't rename, shrink, delete..nada.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of these and utilize the full space available on the 1TB drive as d: storage? It's not the end of the world but I'm losing over 20 gigs to this.

dogfart
05-18-2013, 05:38 PM
format drive outside of windoze with something like hiren's

rewben
05-18-2013, 05:46 PM
@ftracy35, if the disk management didn't work, you can try using the command 'diskpart' (run command prompt as administrator, then type 'diskpart'). that's the easiest way that i can think of.

now before you do anything, please back up all the stuff in the drive in question; and close the disk management.

diskpart> list disk
diskpart> select disk <disk.number.of.your.1tb.hdd>
diskpart> clean
diskpart> exit

this should clear the configuration information, or all information, off the disk. you can start over and reorganize the disk to your needs.

there should be a way to make necessary adjustments to each affected partition using diskpart (i.e. clear all the hidden option, required option, and attributes set to them), but sorry i am not sure how.

ftracy35
05-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Thank you, Rewben..that did the trick.