PDA

View Full Version : Possibly bricked G46VW

KAZiBA
05-18-2013, 06:09 PM
Before I start, I'd like to say I'm new here - and the G46 that I'm having is my first ever gaming laptop.

Either way, I'm having a major headahe following something that happened today. I was going to change some settings in the BIOS when I accidentally changed the System Date. I thought that selecting Discard Changes & Exit would revert the date to what it was before. If it helped, I don't know. However, the PC is possibly bricked now thanks to that. It does turn on with the power button lighting up and fans running, but the screen remains off, hardware activity stops after a few seconds and then it shuts itself off.

Are there any possible DIY solutions to fix this, if you know what it might be? Or do I have to RMA it?

Thank you all in advance.

dstrakele
05-18-2013, 09:17 PM
Exiting the BIOS in that manner SHOULD NOT have caused any problems, though I have read reports of others with a similar experience.

See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29307-Another-Briked-G75 and try holding down the CTRL and HOME keys while starting the laptop. This should initiate a Crisis BIOS Recovery that will flash the hidden G46VW.BIN file in the root of C :, unless you've reformatted your drive and performed a clean Windows installation. In this case, you can download the BIOS update from the ASUS website to a USB flash drive formatted to a single FAT32 partition, extract the .BIN file, rename it to G46VW.BIN, and attempt the CTRL+HOME startup to initiate the Crisis BIOS Recovery.

If this continues to fail after multiple attempts, contact your retailer if the laptop was recently purchased and see if they'll exchange your defective laptop for a new one.

Otherwise, RMA to ASUS for Warranty repair.

Zygomorphic
05-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Welcome, @KAZiBA, I'm disappointed that your entry to the forums is in such circumstances, but hopefully you'll get it all straightened out, and then stick around and help others out too! :) I'll second @dstrakele's suggestion and analysis, I wouldn't expect that changing the system date would damage it, but it might. @dstrakele, I don't suppose that the CMOS battery is anywhere in a easily user-accesible location? If it is, then pulling that should reset the date?

dstrakele
05-19-2013, 12:37 AM
Note that the OP chose to "Discard Changes & Exit", so NO changes should've been made to the BIOS.

Even so, I find it hard to believe changing the System Date would brick a computer.

KAZiBA
05-19-2013, 10:20 AM
@dstrakele

Yes, it does sound highly unusual that changing something as innocent as the date would mess up the BIOS. Maybe something else went wrong at the same time that wasn't related to any settings, however speculating is not helping in this case. I tried what the forum post you linked to suggested, and I couldn't notice any difference. Another user suggested trying 10-15 times, tried that too. Even if it was a silent process, it should have brought me back online. The keyboard doesn't even light up, and it's a backlit version so I doubt it's even registered. Hell, when the computer DID work, it didn't light up until Windows was loaded.

@Zygomorphic

Thank you for welcoming me. It's not ideal to be the new guy when the first thing you do is ask for help because you've bricked your brand new gaming portable. Either way, I'm glad you're here to help, and I'll do the same and stick around. I have read about resetting the CMOS, but when only the RAM is user accessible, what can I do. The last thing I want to do is risk my warranty. It's safe to say that ASUS has a good one - 2 years.

EDIT: I do indeed have the factory Windows 8 installed, however I've factory resetted it two times.

rewben
05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
it's hard to believe that simple date change could cause this :/

perhaps you could give it one more try before sending it to the service center:

1. take out the battery; unplug it from the power source;
2. press the power button for 20 seconds;
3. leave it alone for 24 hours;
4. after that. plug in the power source only (leave out the battery);
5. try the ctrl+home combo again and again.

i guess that's how one of our friends revived his laptop. well, this is the last try. i am not even sure if it works for you.

KAZiBA
05-19-2013, 11:57 AM
@rewben

My G46 has a non-removable battery (why on Earth would a gaming portable come with a non-removable battery), so your suggestion sadly cannot be performed in my case. I'd open it and access the components if it didn't mean voiding my warranty in the process, though.

I suppose the only solution in my case is to RMA it. I've heard horror stories about ASUS Support, but anyone can have bad luck. I have a TF Prime as well that was serviced due to screen bleeding.

rewben
05-19-2013, 12:22 PM
oh. i forgot about that battery thing :/ sorry to hear that.

Clintlgm
05-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Well be sure to PM a cl-"asus guy", cl-albert was very helpful to me on my recent RMA to Calif. repair station; that went very well. It took awhile in my case as the problem I experience did not duplicate itself at the repair station. Finally after about a week they were able to duplicate the issues, and made the repairs. So not all RMA's go bad. Do Contact a cl- for assistance. Good luck

cl-Albert
05-20-2013, 09:31 PM
it's hard to believe that simple date change could cause this :/

perhaps you could give it one more try before sending it to the service center:

1. take out the battery; unplug it from the power source;
2. press the power button for 20 seconds;
3. leave it alone for 24 hours;
4. after that. plug in the power source only (leave out the battery);
5. try the ctrl+home combo again and again.

i guess that's how one of our friends revived his laptop. well, this is the last try. i am not even sure if it works for you.

fyi.
1. I found a (working) G46VW test unit to try and was able to re-flash it today using the Ctrl+Home key combination while pressing the power button which unfortunately doesn't appear to always work for everybody.

2. If you have a way to check the hard drive with the original ASUS image, you should see the G46VW.bin file (version 204 bios for my unit) on the C: drive that will be used to re-flash the bios.

3. Tried the 'discard changes and exit' with 205 bios and didn't see any problems with my unit this time.

Doesn't sound like the customer is located in North America, but hopefully there will not be any problems for their local ASUS support to take care of it.

KAZiBA
05-20-2013, 09:48 PM
@cl-Albert

Thanks for your information. I'm certain there must have been some sort of corruption with my BIOS in the first place, since you cannot reproduce the "bug" and the fact that it messed up so easily. Chances are it was ready to crash on me at that time regardless of if I changed any settings at all. Either way, I'm going to call ASUS Support tomorrow and have their say at this. Hopefully it can be fixed on the spot, or else I'll have to send this baby in for a reset. It was done with a 210 BIOS if it makes any difference. I know they say you shouldn't update the BIOS unless strictly necessary, but it was fine all the while until that event, which makes me think that the update process is not to blame, rather the BIOS itself.

Thank you all for your inputs so far, it's really appreciated.

EDIT: I am situated in Norway, as far as location is concerned.

KAZiBA
05-21-2013, 08:51 AM
I've just been in contact with ASUS, and luckily for me my G46 is still within the so-called DOA timeframe (7 days). It's however up to the vendor (Dustin Home) if they want to proceed with putting a DOA status on my G46. As far as ASUS is concerned, it's been spotless customer service so far. I'll keep this post updated as the case develops.

EDIT: The vendor has agreed to take it back as a DOA. When confirmed by a technician, they will proceed with replacing it with a brand new machine. I'll make a new update when everything has been dealt with.

EDIT 2: Which will take anywhere from 1-2 weeks from when I send the current one off with the mail.

rewben
05-21-2013, 09:27 AM
that's nice. hopefully all will go well. good luck!

Djask
05-21-2013, 08:13 PM
@rewben

My G46 has a non-removable battery (why on Earth would a gaming portable come with a non-removable battery), so your suggestion sadly cannot be performed in my case. I'd open it and access the components if it didn't mean voiding my warranty in the process, though.

I suppose the only solution in my case is to RMA it. I've heard horror stories about ASUS Support, but anyone can have bad luck. I have a TF Prime as well that was serviced due to screen bleeding.

I actually have opened my G46VW for upgrades, and I have not voided my warranty at all. Although you should be careful. :)

Zygomorphic
05-22-2013, 10:18 AM
I've just been in contact with ASUS, and luckily for me my G46 is still within the so-called DOA timeframe (7 days). It's however up to the vendor (Dustin Home) if they want to proceed with putting a DOA status on my G46. As far as ASUS is concerned, it's been spotless customer service so far. I'll keep this post updated as the case develops.

That's good to know, especially fo those who are coming here because their customer support wth ASUS wasn't quite so good. Looking forward to seeing the results of this issue.

jacobssn
12-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Hi guys!
I'm G46VW owner and I experienced the same problem that several others did: black screen, keyboard flashes, turns off and would be an a-hole not to share this,
Here's how I did.
Battery and AC charger installed:
1. Went to ASUS website, downloaded and renamed V209 bios to G46VW.BIN
2. Put it on my SSD that is primary boot on my system (not original)
3. Hold CTRL + HOME + tap the Power button (not holding it)
4. Nothing happens, BUT could see HDD led blinking for a brief moment which indicates that it might looking for the BIOS file.
5. I still had my old G46VW original HDD laying around so I did all the steps above on this one instead, and the flash recovery did actually started

Conclusion: No USB thumbdrives would work nor would my SSD, only the original HDD would work.
This might help others w/o warranty that has given up.

What did I do wrong to deserve no boot?
Well I did have a unlocked BIOS to enable OC, this wasn't the problem. I did how ever look for an option to unlock my ME FW too (the 1.5MB locked part of BIOS if you will). I found the option "ME FW Image Re-flash = Disable", nice why not?
Enable = black screen, not boot.

@KAZiBA
If you're in Sweden (Gothenburg) sometime I could help try re-flash your BIOS, just let me know!