PDA

View Full Version : Adding SDD - need help.

dkgodfrey
05-21-2013, 02:06 AM
I just purchased this unit and it comes with a 1TB hard drive. I want to add a 500GB SDD to use as the boot drive and for programs. I have placed the SDD in the second bay. It is formatted.

What should I do/What steps do I take to make the SDD the boot drive?

Thanks!

KG

rewben
05-21-2013, 03:17 AM
what's the model number of your laptop (g75vw/x-yyyy)?

if it's a vx can you try use AsusBacktracker (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/Apps_for_Win8/ASUSBacktracker/AsusBacktracker_Win8_64_VER200.zip) (related thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?32703-AsusBacktracker-Backup-Factory-Image-Windows-8-G75VX))

Pitcher@asus
05-21-2013, 03:28 AM
use the ghost utility ghost to the new SSD, and plug to first bay and boot to OS make sure it is using normal.
also you can buy the restore CD from asus e-store.

TokoDude
05-21-2013, 07:08 AM
Isn’t the first bay SATA-600 and the Second Bay SATA-300? Like the G75VW

If you bought a SATA-600 SSD you could better put it in the first bay so you don’t lose some speed of your SSD.

mynewrog
05-21-2013, 08:19 AM
You could try this new Asus backtracker utility and take it from there but my own steps in succeeding in this after many hours of trying were:

1) Move the SATA to the 2nd bay. Install the SSD to the 1st (where the SATA was from factory).

2) Start Windows 8 (from the 1TB SATA) as usual and install some ghosting application. I used Acronis True Image.

3) When in the ghosting application, Clone all your 1TB SATA partitions to the SSD. (Don't worry about the SSD being smaller, you probably have enough free space to copy all the data). Now your SSD should have a 1:1 copy of the main partition plus the hidden recovery partition.

4) At that point, in order to make sure my pc starts from the SSD, I removed the SATA, connected it to another computer (I had an external hdd case but you can connect it internally as well) and wiped everything from it. Tested the SSD and it started my system fine as if nothing had happened.

5) Finally, I installed my re-freshed, virgin 1TB to the 2nd hdd bay and am now using it for storage purposes. Job done....

dkgodfrey
05-21-2013, 09:42 AM
It is G75VX. Thank you for the info.

Hashed
05-22-2013, 03:09 PM
What I did was the following steps: (If you don't want bloatware)

1. Take out HDD and put SSD in first bay
2. Do a fresh install of windows onto SSD
3. Put HDD into second bay and format it (also removed the partitions that it came with)

If you cannot do a fresh install of windows, or like having the Asus programs, you could do the following:

1. Use Asus backtracker to make a recovery USB
2. Take out HDD and put SSD in first bay
3. Disable secure boot control, fast boot and enable launch CSM in bios
4. Plug USB in
5. Restart laptop and press Esc -> Select the USB from the list that pops up
6. Restore windows onto the SSD
7. Put HDD into second bay and format it.

mynewrog
05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
What I did was the following steps: (If you don't want bloatware)

2. Do a fresh install of windows onto SSD

Using which version of Windows? Because without Backtracker (not available at the time), a Windows Recovery flash drive was unable to successfully re-install windows due to a known bug that occurs if your recovery drive is smaller than the original hdd from which you created the drive = 99.9% of the cases unless you use a 1TB usb drive for this procedure.

Now if you mean he should "find" an untouched Windows 8 version it's a whole other discussion...

Hashed
05-22-2013, 03:27 PM
Using which version of Windows? Because without Backtracker (not available at the time), a Windows Recovery flash drive was unable to successfully re-install windows due to a known bug that occurs if your recovery drive is smaller than the original hdd from which you created the drive = 99.9% of the cases unless you use a 1TB usb drive for this procedure.

Now if you mean he should "find" an untouched Windows 8 version it's a whole other discussion...

From past experience, I used a 16gb usb and the recovery worked perfectly fine on a 256GB SSD. The recovery partition should only take approximately 20GB on a partition if I recall correctly. Recently, what I did was to just put a fresh copy of Windows 8 on the SSD. I am in no way recommending this, but personally it is my preference. If you are curious, I received a full version (legitimate) of Windows 8 Pro due to being part of a Windows Development Program :)