PDA

View Full Version : G46VW - FN Hotkeys Interface on Windows 7

Neffy
05-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Hello all,

I own the G46VW which came pre-installed with Windows 8. I got a crucial m4 128 gb mSATA SDD, removed Win 8, installed Win 7. I noticed the interface for the hotkeys (brightness, volume, etc) are different then they were on Win 8. The looked much cooler on Win8 and if anyone had possibly tried getting those visuals on Win 7?

mynewrog
05-21-2013, 11:53 AM
I only own a G75VX but I can confirm that here as well, the indication of volume/brightness change etc. is different in Win7 compared to the minimal one in Win8 which consisted of a mere slider actually.

I think it's a matter of driver unfortunately, but I am no way reverting to useless Win8 just to get those simple sliders in the FN functions. Funny enough, that may be the first (and only) area where I find Win8 to have an advantage over 7 :D

ggBanks
05-21-2013, 04:48 PM
The slider that you are referring to in Windows 8 is actually from the Windows itself. The big black squares that were on Windows 7 were from the ATK package. If you want to bring back the big black ones go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey and one of the .exe files (I think it was the HControl.exe) will start the service that runs the black squares. I personally prefer the sliders of Windows 8, they change the settings much smother than when using the big black squares.

Pitcher@asus
05-22-2013, 02:34 AM
asus have not provide win 7 driver and utilities for G46, you will try youself but not recommend change to win 7.

Neffy
05-22-2013, 06:29 AM
The slider that you are referring to in Windows 8 is actually from the Windows itself. The big black squares that were on Windows 7 were from the ATK package. If you want to bring back the big black ones go to C:\Program Files (x86)\ASUS\ATK Package\ATK Hotkey and one of the .exe files (I think it was the HControl.exe) will start the service that runs the black squares. I personally prefer the sliders of Windows 8, they change the settings much smother than when using the big black squares.

ggBanks, I see what you are referring to but didn't do anything. Guess we're stuck with Win7 sliders. lol

mynewrog
05-22-2013, 08:43 AM

Erhh... I think he means doing it the other way around! That is: Win8 sliders in Win7 (instead of useless big icons).

I confirm that those big icons appeared when I installed the ATK package but without it, FN keys didn't work at all as Windows 7 were not recognizing them by themselves.

Neffy
05-22-2013, 10:02 AM
Erhh... I think he means doing it the other way around! That is: Win8 sliders in Win7 (instead of useless big icons).

Yes! Guess there isn't anyway to do it..