PDA

View Full Version : G74SX freezing for 30-180 seconds at a time, seems USB-related. Help!

StefanLundmark
05-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi,

I've had this laptop for over a year now and it's been great. But the last few months it's started to behave badly with freezing for ~30-180 seconds at a time, and it's starting to do it quite often now. While the computer is frozen, mouse input is dead - seems like a hardware fault or something but I can't spot anything in the logs.

Anyway. Rebooting makes the issue go away for an hour or two. But it always happens right after I get the message "USB-device not recognized" in the system tray. The only USB device I got is the ROG mouse. If I switch USB port from the USB3 one to a USB2, the issue is delayed for another hour or so.

I've tried to use older drivers for most of the stuff (except the Fresco ones, I'm using the latest ones there.. should I revert those?).

I'm so disappointed! I love this laptop, but I really would prefer for it to last more than a year.
Any ideas?

Pitcher@asus
05-23-2013, 08:33 AM
if you uninstall USB instant on and USB charge +, is it occur? also you can press F9 to restore your OS and try again.

dstrakele
05-23-2013, 01:15 PM
If I were in your situation, I'd confirm that the Atheros WiFi driver version was 9.2.1.470 or later if your G74SX has the Atheros WB9002-1NG WiFi Adapter. Earlier version Atheros WiFi drivers had high DPC Latency which caused performance problems.

If that failed, I'd selectively UNinstall your Antivirus software, then reboot, to see if it resolves the problem. Driver conflicts can result in freezes. AntiMalware, Firewall, Remote Administration, and Disk Management software are other suspects you can selectively uninstall to troubleshoot.

Otherwise, I'd try installing the latest Intel Chipset driver from an elevated Command Prompt using the -overall switch to ensure all drivers are updated.