PDA

View Full Version : G75VW is overheating and shutting down

davide808
05-23-2013, 04:48 PM
I have owned my G75VW for over 2 years and i have loved it had no problems till now, my warranty is also expired.

I believe one of my fans have stopped working, when i use to play games or if my laptop got to hot a fan would kick in and now i dont hear it. My laptop will now shut down if i do anything which requires some power, i can surf the web and its fine, but as soon as i watch youtube videos or play games my laptop gets hot and shuts down and it takes 10 min or so before i can start it again. ive tried to look around for similar cases which brought me to this website, but i have not been able to find any solutions. please any help would be greatly appreciated!!

aMgDrew
05-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Is any amount of air coming out under load or without load?

Is it still under warranty?

In some countries you are eligible by law to make a claim regardless of the warranty terms, if you are able to prove that the malfunction is a defect or fault and not a result of natural tear and wear.

Best of luck ;)

dstrakele
05-23-2013, 05:04 PM
The G75 allows you to open the laptop where you have access to clean the fans and filters. Have you done this?

I also recommend installing HWINFO64 and enabling the EC Sensor to allow you to monitor fan speeds as well as CPU and GPU temperatures.

If a good cleaning fails to bring the temps down to normal levels, you may need to put a repaste on your 'To Do" list. This is normal for a 2 year old gaming laptop. A fan replacement may also be necessary.

davide808
05-23-2013, 05:13 PM
There is very little air coming out, it use to pump out alot of air. and no its no longer under warranty.

No i have not opened my laptop before, i will do that when i get home. how often should i clean my fans?

Thanks for your help guys!!

dstrakele
05-23-2013, 05:20 PM
I blow out the fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas every week. I'd also clean the fan filters once a month if I had a G75..

The Manual for your laptop has a section on fan maintenance. It's worth a read...

aMgDrew
05-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Indeed G75 laptops have a user-friendly access to both cooling fans by opening both lids at the bottom of the machine. If little air is coming out, then it's clearly has dust foam clumped up where the fan is. Try air dusting those places.

which country have you bought the laptop from?

Repasting is unnecessary even if a system overheats. It's sometimes useful but not essential. Even stock cooling paste has properties of "surviving" high temperatures, higher than those that make your system shut down. But of course if you're curious, and feel like checking out the cooling paste you might as well check it out. try using safe equipment and guidelines to avoid bricking that beast.

Cooling paste serves as a mean for heat conductivity, as metal-to-metal is more heat conductive than metal-to-mountain of cooling paste-to-metal, that is why we apply a small layer of cooling paste in order to close the gaps between two metal pieces (there's no such thing as perfectly polished metal that has no microscopic holes in it), and since cooling paste is more heat conductive (some cooling pastes have metal pieces in the substance) than air, that's why it's cooling paste and not just metal-to-metal contact.

Best of luck

xeromist
05-23-2013, 06:47 PM
Repasting is unnecessary even if a system overheats. It's sometimes useful but not essential. Even stock cooling paste has properties of "surviving" high temperatures, higher than those that make your system shut down.

Thing is, we've found that some of the factory pastes are cheap and go bad after a while. It's not necessarily sudden catastrophic failure due to heat, but a general crustyness that develops over time. Compound that with sometimes less than precise application at the factory and they sometimes do need a repaste. My brother's alienware couldn't do anything more than browse the web after several years of use and a tour in Afghanistan. I repasted it for him and right as rain.

aMgDrew
05-23-2013, 06:53 PM
But I believe in you guys from ASUS. You guys would never do such a thing as using some kind of cheap cooling paste or scotch tape instead? Right?

xeromist
05-23-2013, 07:16 PM
LOL. I don't work for ASUS but I'm guessing that they buy paste by the gallon from whoever will give them a good wholesale price. Obviously they don't want a high failure rate but spending the extra on IC diamond wouldn't make good business sense either. There's a balance of price vs quality.

dstrakele
05-23-2013, 07:25 PM
But I believe in you guys from ASUS. You guys would never do such a thing as using some kind of cheap cooling paste or scotch tape instead? Right?

Sea http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29131-Weird-blue-thing-(-Like-a-GUM)&p=224768&viewfull=1#post224768.

aMgDrew
05-23-2013, 07:31 PM
LOL. I don't work for ASUS but I'm guessing that they buy paste by the gallon from whoever will give them a good wholesale price. Obviously they don't want a high failure rate but spending the extra on IC diamond wouldn't make good business sense either. There's a balance of price vs quality.
Yes indeed. But the way things are in wholesaling, it is cheaper for asus to start producing their own IC Diamond.
Simply put, IC Diamond or any other product, by the time it reaches shop shelves, the were cheaper.
If retailer sells a product, means its profitable. If manufacturer sold it to retailer, means its profitable. If parts factory sold it to manufacturer, means its profitable. If material factory sold it to parts factory, means its profitable. If someone who works for that material production company, means its profitable.
Everything comes from nothing. Initial cost of materials and labour is insignificant compared to that material being turned into a part, sold to manufacturer, put in a pc, pc shipped to reseller. If resellers had their resellers, and they had their resellers and they had their resellers, Then the price of a single unit would cost a lot more than when it came out of the factory.
Hence producing their own epic cooling paste in a small basement (using paste for manufacturing, not selling) it would come out cheaper for them and better for us.

Simple example from my life. I get 0.05$ for every lemon I collect. My company spends 5$ on my labour and they got 100 lemons. They decide to sell those lemons to a company that creates lemon concentrate. They sell those 100 lemons for 5$+their own price tag, which could be 15$ (depends on competition). So other company buys 1000 lemons and creates a litre of lemon concentrate, which they sell to different companies (juice, sauce, medicine) like manufacturers, for a price of original price+labour price+other expenses+their own price tag in order to profit. By the time it gets to shop shelves, a price per lemon used increases from 0.05$ to 1$, which is the amount I get for collecting 20 lemons. If they re-sell that stuff to asus, then the price will increase to profit. That's why it's cheaper for asus to produce their own stuff even if its 0.00001$ difference in early stages.

dstrakele
05-23-2013, 08:08 PM
But the thermal transfer properties of lemon paste is known to be very poor. The laptops would smell fresher however...

aMgDrew
05-23-2013, 08:17 PM
But the thermal transfer properties of lemon paste is known to be very poor. The laptops would smell fresher however...
Sticky lemon squash with density greater of honey should do the trick. Still better heat conductivity than air or a mountain of thermal paste.

Also I would recommend chewing a bubble gum for 24 hours and then using it as a paste replacement.