PDA

View Full Version : Well, Don't I Feel Like A Bonehead...

SHADO
05-26-2013, 06:14 AM
I've had my G75 since the first of May, and have been nothing but impressed with it (except for the speakers). But the appearance of the touchpad has always annoyed me. It just didn't look quite "right" to me. So over the last couple of days, I've watched about 20 unboxings/reviews of the G75 on You Tube. And everyone else's touchpad seemed to look as crappy as mine, until I watched the last one. It made mention of the fact that there was a protective layer of plastic on the touchpad that could be removed. So I wrestled with it trying to get ahold of a corner so I could peel it off. For a minute I thought the guy was mistaken. But I finally got ahold of it, and sure enough, it was meant to be removed! Loving the look of my "new" touchpad now. But I sure feel like an idiot, LOL...

mehdi.moha
05-26-2013, 06:29 AM
oOOOOOOkay :D

do you know how can remove "matt" lcd-protective laye ?
i think that is good for anti-reflex , but without that my LCD will be brighter and clearer .

SHADO
05-26-2013, 06:40 AM
oOOOOOOkay :D

do you know how can remove "matt" lcd-protective laye ?
i think that is good for anti-reflex , but without that my LCD will be brighter and clearer .

I have no clue how to remove the matte layer from the display, or if it is even possible. I would assume it would require disassembly of the lid/bezel from the display, for starters.

I think you should start a new thread asking that question. It would probably get more attention that way. :)

Matrix Leader
05-26-2013, 06:47 AM
WOW!! And I also thought it could be removen when i first bought my G75VW as something just didn't feel right about the trackpad, I tried to remove it a bit but I was afraid I would actually damage my trackpad...

so are you sure you can remove it and the trackpad would look ok?

mind to take a pic and post it of how yours looks now?

SHADO
05-26-2013, 06:52 AM
WOW!! And I also thought it could be removen when i first bought my G75VW as something just didn't feel right about the trackpad, I tried to remove it a bit but I was afraid I would actually damage my trackpad...

so are you sure you can remove it and the trackpad would look ok?

mind to take a pic and post it of how yours looks now?

TRUST ME. It comes off, and the touchpad looks GREAT!!

EDIT: Trackpad. In addition to not being a photographer, I'm terrible with nomenclature, too.

SHADO
05-26-2013, 07:09 AM
I'm not a photographer, LOL.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/1shado1/IMG_20130526_015807.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/1shado1/media/IMG_20130526_015807.jpg.html)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/1shado1/IMG_20130526_015800.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/1shado1/media/IMG_20130526_015800.jpg.html)

Matrix Leader
05-26-2013, 07:42 AM
wow! that looks awesome! I can't wait till I get hom and tear my ****ty trackpad apart :)

Matrix Leader
05-26-2013, 07:50 AM
I guess now I know why my trackpad always seemed NOT responsive compared to other laptops I play with

SHADO
05-26-2013, 07:54 AM
I guess now I know why my trackpad always seemed NOT responsive compared to other laptops I play with

Good to see that I'm not the only bonehead, LOL... ;)

mynewrog
05-26-2013, 09:23 AM
+1 here lol... The bonehead count is rising!

As others said, didn't feel right, but also seemed very tight to remove and with no space to insert your finger/tool to remove it. I used a thin needle at the bottom left corner and off it came... wow...

Make this thread sticky!

SHADO
05-26-2013, 09:57 AM
+1 here lol... The bonehead count is rising!

As others said, didn't feel right, but also seemed very tight to remove and with no space to insert your finger/tool to remove it. I used a thin needle at the bottom left corner and off it came... wow...

Make this thread sticky!

My thoughts exactly! I FIGURED it should be removable, but as there was no tab to grab onto (like the one on the plastic covering the webcam), I just figured I was wrong. Also, my 5 year old Toshiba laptop had protective plastic covering the trackpad, but had a little tab sticking up so you knew to remove it.

I ended up using a needle to get mine started too, after trying to use a fingernail with no luck. Now that I think about it, a piece of scotch or masking tape applied to the corner might work also. :)

rewben
05-26-2013, 11:03 AM
11 months ago i thought i was the only one LOL!

SHADO
05-26-2013, 11:08 AM
11 months ago i thought i was the only one LOL!

Nope, apparently not. But you MAY have been the first! :)

rewben
05-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Nope, apparently not. But you MAY have been the first! :)

LOL! that was a funny experience :) i remembered i tried to remove the small bubbles under the plastic cover but finally gave up. then a friend here told us it's just a plastic cover haha!

dstrakele
05-26-2013, 12:25 PM
My G74SX also shipped with a clear protective film over the webcam lens. Be sure to remove that or your videoconferencing images will be blurry.

SHADO
05-26-2013, 12:54 PM
My G74SX also shipped with a clear protective film over the webcam lens. Be sure to remove that or your videoconferencing images will be blurry.

Same with my G75. But at least that one was fairly obvious, because there was a little pull tab hanging free to grab. Not so on the trackpad, though.

chrsplmr
05-26-2013, 02:33 PM
I couldn't figure out how to turn my G on for 6 weeks and then some0ne said 'Hey,
Why don't you try taking it out of the box ?'

hahhahhaa .. stuff happens .. great catch .. and now you have all save a bunch of others from
the grief. Cudos for bringing this forward.c.

dogfart
05-26-2013, 02:33 PM
So the plastic you removed from trac-pad was transparent? Or was it black? tia

SHADO
05-26-2013, 04:20 PM
So the plastic you removed from trac-pad was transparent? Or was it black? tia

It's transparent. :)

mynewrog
05-26-2013, 06:23 PM

The images will be blurry regardless of the protective film... it's the crappy webcam! :p

shadow_smile
05-26-2013, 09:41 PM
+1 to bonehead list
:P

SHADO
05-26-2013, 09:50 PM
+1 to bonehead list
:P

Welcome to the club, fellow bonehead! :)

MikeyV311
05-27-2013, 03:49 AM
Add +1 idiots to your list... Just figured this out last night by accident whilst cleaning my computer with an LCD wipe. Some moisture got into the corners of the trackpad, and I caught a glimpse of one of the corners wanting to roll up (kinda how stickers to that when you get them wet lol) and finally got a thumb nail underneath it and was SOO relieved! (also felt like a freakin idiot) It's good to know that I am not the only person that was tricked by this layer. What did impress me was the ability of them to be able to apply a piece of plastic so well, as to trick us into thinking that it was a cohesive part of a whole. I have also removed the monstrous sticker on the right hand side of the palm rest that states all of the specs for the laptop.. Between that and feeling how the trackpad actually should, I've become much more comfortable with my new laptop. Just got a G55VW-DS71 for 999.99 on eBay, free shipping, open-box. Came with driver CD, stickers, and printed manual, but no back-pack or USB mouse. (no big deal I have tons of them that are better!) I've created my Factory DVDc, tested them, and am now onto learning more about UEFI, and installing a dual-boot with Win 7x64 Premium Home (ASUS Factory) and Linux Mint 15. Wish me luck!!

SHADO
05-27-2013, 04:12 AM
Add +1 idiots to your list... Just figured this out last night by accident whilst cleaning my computer with an LCD wipe. Some moisture got into the corners of the trackpad, and I caught a glimpse of one of the corners wanting to roll up (kinda how stickers to that when you get them wet lol) and finally got a thumb nail underneath it and was SOO relieved! (also felt like a freakin idiot) It's good to know that I am not the only person that was tricked by this layer. What did impress me was the ability of them to be able to apply a piece of plastic so well, as to trick us into thinking that it was a cohesive part of a whole. I have also removed the monstrous sticker on the right hand side of the palm rest that states all of the specs for the laptop.. Between that and feeling how the trackpad actually should, I've become much more comfortable with my new laptop. Just got a G55VW-DS71 for 999.99 on eBay, free shipping, open-box. Came with driver CD, stickers, and printed manual, but no back-pack or USB mouse. (no big deal I have tons of them that are better!) I've created my Factory DVDc, tested them, and am now onto learning more about UEFI, and installing a dual-boot with Win 7x64 Premium Home (ASUS Factory) and Linux Mint 15. Wish me luck!!

LOL, "I'm With Stoopid". Welcome to the club, Mikey! :) I too was amazed how well that piece of plastic was applied, and that's why I wasn't sure about it either.

Man, it sure sounds like you got a killer deal on your G55!! Best of luck with your new "toy".