PDA

View Full Version : G750JX and no Windows 7 Support. Do really what to sell the product here.

emurach
05-29-2013, 06:46 AM
Purchasing a G750JX with Windows 8 is a no can do for me the customer. And, Asus should know that. Preinstalling Win8 in a machine doesn't mean a customer will use it. An especially in Win8's case. Asus's own intenal data should show them Win8 adoption isn't going to well in usage. Frankly I see it as a total flop.

Just given the Secure Boot issue just for where Microsoft Win8 Compatibily branding forces UEFI to be enable with Secure Boot is enough to say no to Win8. Such a foul taste here. It prevents any OS from booting up unless its signed by Microsoft. Cleary a miss use of secure boot and cripples linux users from running linux. Plus prevents dual booting of OS's. It a crystal clear attempt to create a monoply for only microsoft and prevent all other OS's from running in the most sold equipment.

Next, Metro UI cripples even basic established windows usage we all know and expect. I have zero faith in the coming Windows 8.1 update as well.

So, I still demand to run my dual booting Windows 7x64 and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS in an UEFIBios enviroment.

This how my G75VW is setup.

So there are serious questions on G750JX. And Asus needs to provide answers to a sale to we the loyal customers.

1st - Where's the Windows 7x64 Support for the LAPTOP from Asus. Drivers and Apps. Its not on the site.
2nd - Can it's BIOS turn off SECURE BOOT. If microsoft in charge of the master keys then we don't what it. Users should
have been allowed to make there own keys on install of a given os.
3rd - Does the customer get a SECURE BOOT License App that install intel efi Licenses for all LINUX OS's.
And, most likely not. I clearly see online how MS is stone walling the FSF and Ubuntu.

And yes that 2nd and 3rd item is on ASUS to provide. They built the LAPTOP. Asus should support there customers on this
and not side with microsoft.

I as a customer, I want Windows 7 and not Windows 8. The only thing I what from 8 is the new native USB stack brought into 7 on a Service PACK.

If can't get these things it time to abandon MIcrosoft totally for pure Linux. And, since haven't seen ASUS doing much in regards to linux that does bode well for future sales. Asus got at least sell equipment that linux users can use and foil any all attempts by microsoft to prevent that.

ggBanks
05-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Dude calm down! First off the model hasn't come out yet. There should be a switch for turning secure boot from the UEFI. And what's more, a while ago I think Ubuntu got a signature from Microsoft, so even if you have Win 8 you can install it.

rewben
05-29-2013, 09:45 AM
@emurach, to partner with microsoft, there are terms and conditions that must be agreed upon before you can become one. this is one such term.

that being said, the bios options to negate this behavior is still there in the bios of g750 (like the current laptop versions).

Myk SilentShadow
05-29-2013, 10:02 AM
You can demand everything you want til you're blue in the face, the fact remains that Windows 8 is now out and that is what's going to be installed on the 750. Sorry if this sounds rude, but it's the truth. As rewben above stated ASUS are partnered with M$ and as such, have to provide Windows 8 across all new systems.

emurach
05-29-2013, 01:44 PM
You can't say that secure boot can be turned off. Asus needs to clearly state that and state all future bios updates will have that option on under the warranty and cover that point for 5 years minimum. Further more, the option we really need isn't to turn it off. But, an efi certicate in bios that Microsoft doesn't control. Microsoft didn't build UEFI. Why do they get to control what OS uses it. One microsofts reponses is they will issue certificates for the FSFs linux boot loader. And, they been stone walling left and right on that. Placing one land mine after another. Come on here. Its a aburp wake up call. Partner on not. We have say no and request all the detailed answers.

It's just stupid to purchase otherwise. And, before the product releases is the prime time apply that pressure on the Asus sales force for answer. If we don't clearly voice severe opposition here were going to reget it shortly.

rewben
05-29-2013, 05:16 PM
of all the features documented in UEFI specifications, it's a bad move for m$ to exploit this little feature in the name of security. however, it's here to stay. more and more manufacturers are adopting uefi with secureboot and ship their products with w8.

yes, i would like to have the tool set to create my own linux signature and insert it into the bios, too.