PDA

View Full Version : Screen Blinking/Flashing BLACK, after sleep. Help Please!!?

melkerabersson
05-30-2013, 05:33 PM
My g46vw laptop screen Blinking/Flashing Black after sleep!? Please Help!
Hi! I got a new Asus G46VW laptop (1 month) with: Windows 8, i7, Nvidia GeForce 660M gtx.

This is a problem that can occur some times (with a couple of days in between working just fine).

It happens after the computer wakes up from sleep and after I have logged in to windows (or it might be just a couple of seconds after it has woken up from sleep mode).
- The screen starts blinking Black, like, 1 second black, a half second normal, and so on!!!!
The computer is still on and working, in the back, but the screen keeps blinking/ flashing like this until I restart it! Then it goes away for a couple of days!!!

Anyone have any idea what this is!!? Can't find any exact similar problems on the web.

GREATFUL FOR ANY HELP! :')

dstrakele
05-31-2013, 03:52 AM
1) What version of NVIDIA driver are you currently running?

2) Have you upgraded the NVIDIA driver since you got the laptop?

3) What applications have you installed to this laptop?

4) Has this issue occurred recently or has it been a constant problem since you got the laptop?

If this was a very recent issue, I'd try Windows System Restore to restore your system to an earlier time prior to when the problem first occurred. If not, I would try installing a different (preferably more recent) version of the NIVIDIA driver using an NVIDIA clean install.

melkerabersson
05-31-2013, 08:47 AM
1) 320.18

2) Yes a couple of times

3) Some games, nothing thats tweakig anything I think. Geforce experience? I dunno..

4) It has occured like 3 times this month, witch maybe a week in between or so..

I only experienced it so far after I wake it up after sleep mode.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall drivers, but when I got back to the drivers it was shipped with I lost a lot of performance some how, so I installed the newest driver again.

So you would suggest me to try uninstall my driver and then reinstall a clean install of the latest driver again? I'm just scared that I will lose performance again after messing with my drivers.

Have you had this problem yourself? :) thanks for helping!

dstrakele
05-31-2013, 01:16 PM
I think your system is leaking Pool Nonpaged memory due to what you've installed on it or from Windows 8 components. The only way to recover the leaked memory is to reboot your laptop. When you put it to sleep, no leaked memory is recovered and the problem is additive over time, until it eventually affects your video driver, and you HAVE to reboot.

You could troubleshoot the problem by reinstalling Windows and testing to see if the problem appears as you add applications and updates. This would probably take a good amount of time. Alternatively, you can make it a point just to reboot your laptop more often OR give up putting it to Sleep and it's likely you won't experience the problem.

SlyBlueFox
05-31-2013, 02:07 PM
What version of Intel HD4000 driver are you using?

I had a similar problem using the newest nVidia & Intel drivers; I installed the newest drivers for both & had sleep issues similar to yours (my screen would go black after sleep & only way to restore was to press ctrl+alt+delete, then press escape). I found out that if I used the ASUS provided Intel drivers, I could install the newest nVidia drivers (320.18 & ones before it) & have had no more issues since then.

melkerabersson
05-31-2013, 03:49 PM
It sasy I have 9.17.10.2828 version!

So what do you mean I should do then? with "the ASUS provided intel drivers..."?

And this is a software problem then? nothing to worry about, like it harming my computer?

thx

SlyBlueFox
05-31-2013, 05:27 PM
FYI, my problem was caused by having the newest Intel drivers I got from the Intel website & the newest nVidia drivers conflicting each other. What fixed my problem (similar to yours but not exactly like yours) was to install the ASUS provided Intel drivers (they are version 9.17.10.282 as far as I can tell) & then install the 'X' version of nVidia drivers.

I would suggest what dstrakele suggested in that you completely uninstall all video drivers (Intel & nVidia) then start over with whatever versions you would like; just use trial & error. Also, I would assume the issue is software related, not necessarily a hardware issue.

melkerabersson
06-03-2013, 08:14 PM
Hey again guys! Now this problem occured when the computer was up and running!? I was going to install VLC player from google chrome, when I clicked the install setup I downloaded the screen started blinking like that again!! Its blinking, and if I dont move the mouse or anything the back-lit keyboard turns off, and the screen completeley black. If I move the mouse the screen starts blinking again!

is this still the driver problems ?

If I should uninstall the drivers, do I just go ni and uninstall them, and then install a clean version of the new again?

thanks for helping me!!

dstrakele
06-04-2013, 03:59 AM
1) What type of mouse are you using?

2) Did you install software for this mouse?

3) If you remove the mouse and any installed mouse software, can you reproduce this issue?

4) If you reinstall the mouse and any associated software, does the problem persist?

melkerabersson
06-04-2013, 09:06 PM
I have a Steelseries sensei raw

I just reallized I never installed the software for it, so I did now, so we'll see if maybe that was the problem all along?

I'll come back to this post if it does! Thanks for your time mate!

melkerabersson
06-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Hey again guys! I just encountered the exact problem again! and it was from after sleep mode!
I did install the software for the mouse so maybe that's not the problem?

gah this is so frustrating, I dot want to reinstall the computer/hand it back to the store, got to many things on it already that I dont wana lose :/

uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled, didnt help either :/

There must be someone having the exact same problem as me out there :/ what can I do? it's not supposed to be like this on a new expensive computer, without a fix...

thx again guys

*Update* Might have something to do with the 'Asus Instant on'?!

Naes213
07-30-2013, 11:25 PM
I am having this same issue on my G75V. It only occurs on wake up after it goes to sleep and doesn't happen very often, like once every week or so. Sometimes the only way to get it to stop is to pull the battery and power. Really annoying when it does it. Anyone figured anything out yet?

melkerabersson
07-31-2013, 12:03 AM
Hey mate! Sorry to hear, but im Glad im not the only one in the world!!! If you do find any solution let me know here!

I think its the Asus instant on thing thats not working ocrrectly, when i put it to powersaving option on the Asus instant on thing the problem never occurs!! Somone said in this thread that its due to Memory leak, mus tbe something with that.. I sure want to get a fix for it though

Cheers

Qmike
09-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Hi There

I'm having the same issue.

Just bought the new G750jx-t4134h on Monday.

After installing on that night:
MS Office 2010 H&B
MS Project 2010 Standard
Adobe Acrobat X Standard
paint.net
iTunes
Dropbox
League of Legends
And doing windows updates.

I left it over night to update & patch.
When I woke it up in the morning the screen would come on every time i moved the mouse, but only for half a second, then black again. If I continuously moved the mouse it would come blink in the same way you are describing.

Last night I put the computer to sleep when I left work at 3pm.
When I started it up today at 6am it did the blinking thing again.

My first thought was it's like the "time till screen turns off" gets set to 0 after the computer has been asleep for a lengthy time.
I do not from my knowledge have the ASUS instant on feature with this laptop.

I'm hoping someones found a solution by now?

melkerabersson
09-18-2013, 04:46 PM
No man, Im sorry to say, this problem occured once again for me now, though less frequently when I put the Asus instant on option to Power saving mode! it happens like once a month for me, really annoying, feel sad that my new laptop has these kind of problems, you kinda expect it to work flawless. Its too late to return it since I got alot of things on my harddrive that I dont want to reinstall etc.

I really hope someone will come up with a sulution for this problem..

jbooker82
09-27-2013, 02:32 AM
I have experienced this problem as well with my G75VW. I haven't tweeked any settings or installed any major programs.

jjbucci
12-06-2013, 04:02 PM
I realize that this thread is a couple of months old, but I've had a similar problem...

Here is what helps when my monitor comes out of sleep mode and is flashing like crazy...I change the screen resolution and the monitor stops flashing...I then change it back and it's fine...

I have read about a shortcut that can be created to accomplish this using a hotkey, I think the utility is HRC.exe, I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS UTILITY...I'm actually waiting on UPS to deliver my new ASUS 27" Monitor right now...so I may, or may not, try this...for now it works doing it manually...at least for me...