PDA

View Full Version : How to install linux (Ubuntu) on the g75vw?

boneskid1
05-30-2013, 08:00 PM
So just to give it a try and see how well Linux gaming is coming along I would like to install Ubuntu on my g75, but it is not really working all that well. I put in the disc and set the bios to boot from the disc with the boot menu and it takes me to the options menu to choose what I would like to do, I choose install and it hangs at a black screen until I turn it off.
It is my understanding that I have to disable something in the bios in order to boot from a disc other than windows, but all the suggestions I found when searching directed me to disable options that did not even show up in my bios.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Boneskid1

Zygomorphic
05-31-2013, 01:32 AM
Launch CSM disabled (I believe), and Secure Boot disabled ('m confidant). As to black screens, that can be due to the EFI system that you have. I would try LINUX Mint and see if that fails the same way. Which version of Ubuntu were you trying? If you decide you would like to join the growing ranks of the March of the Penguins :cool:, here is a thread detailing some LINUX discussion:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33028-LINUX-Install

boneskid1
05-31-2013, 02:10 AM
just to double check what heading is the secure boot under? I am not seeing it, I do see launch cs.
the ubuntu version I am looking at is called "Pear os 7" it looks like OS X, but is based off of ubuntu/linux

Techinstein
05-31-2013, 02:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNAlvvtAofI My YouTube video on how to install ubuntu on an external usb hard drive! Hope I helped! :D

Zygomorphic
05-31-2013, 10:25 AM
just to double check what heading is the secure boot under? I am not seeing it, I do see launch cs.
the ubuntu version I am looking at is called "Pear os 7" it looks like OS X, but is based off of ubuntu/linux

Then you have it disabled. Not every laptop ships with it. You should be OK, but make sure to check out Techinstein youtube video on how to create a bootable USB drive.

tkolarik
06-03-2013, 04:39 AM
I am right there with you, I couldn't get any Linux to install on my G75 either. Tried discs and sticks, no luck. Tested them in my Gateway laptop and they worked fine. I 'm going tofresh install Windows 7 tomorrow (actually today) and will prpbably try again.

Zygomorphic
06-03-2013, 10:28 AM
I am right there with you, I couldn't get any Linux to install on my G75 either. Tried discs and sticks, no luck. Tested them in my Gateway laptop and they worked fine. I 'm going tofresh install Windows 7 tomorrow (actually today) and will prpbably try again.

I don't know that that will help. If you have an EFI boot on your G75, and you can disable it, do so. Also, try to enable anything in the BIOS that allows "legacy" USB devices.

Sycokinetic
06-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Your installation sounds precisely like mine did, especially if you happen to be on BIOS version 207. I updated to version 223 and was able to make progress.

Here's the wall I built about it for reference and warning: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?31112-G75vw-Linux-Mint-Installation-from-Hell-(very-long-post)

Note that your G75 probably came with a GPT-formatted HDD. I've not figured out how to "undo" the boot-repair tool with its GPT interface. If you go through that and don't ever figure out how to reverse it, it'll require a full reinstall of Windows if you want Linux off. On the other hand, you can wipe your HDD and use gdisk to convert it to MBR format. Reversing the boot-repair then becomes a simple matter of clicking a check-box. (i.e. "restore MBR")

And of course, be very careful with updating your BIOS. Messing that up will brick your laptop and require an RMA. Extract the BIOS file directly to a flash drive. Do not copy it. Do not paste it. Do not pass go, do not collect $100. DO check the md5sum or sha1 if there is one available, and DO use the flash utility found in the BIOS screen, NOT the program on ASUS's site that runs from within Windows.

Edit: Oh look! f.schultz0 posted some hashes for v223 in my thread while i wasn't looking. xD