PDA

View Full Version : Easy O/C utility for CPU?

dogfart
05-31-2013, 01:41 AM
Is there any utility out there to O/C the Intel i7 CPU? Like MSI Afterburner works with GPU? Simple, run from Windows, Easy to revert to default setting etc? Lemme guess, its on the shelf next to the muffler bearings and blinker fluid!

dogfart
06-01-2013, 03:03 PM
bump bump bump...sorry needed 10 characters...lol

ggBanks
06-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. BE CAREFUL!!!
If you are rocking one of the latest BIOS versions though, I think the clock should be locked.

dogfart
06-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. BE CAREFUL!!!
If you are rocking one of the latest BIOS versions though, I think the clock should be locked.

OK Thanx. Yes Im using G75VW.223 bios. Cant O/C while this bios is in place? I hate when manufacturers think they know whats best for us. Dont think I want to go backwards with my bios just to O/C. Thank you for replying.

ggBanks
06-02-2013, 08:54 AM
With 223 you cannot overclock! An advice from me is not to go into your BIOS either!
Do not do anything that will make you save changes. I am currently having a G55, but its the same with the G75. The latest BIOS versions for both models are corrupted, and as long as you go into the BIOS everything's ok, but if you choose reset to defaults or save changes and exit options it will brick instantly. I have gone through 2 RMAs just because of this thing. Now I will not do anything into the BIOS until a good update comes out. I recommend the same for you.
However there is a way to downgrade to a previous safer and more stable version of the BIOS. The guide is somewhere in this forum, but I do not remember the name of the thread. For me that version is 209, after that version everything is corrupted that means 214 and 217, I don't know what versions are corrupted for G75 though. The only version I am sure of is 223 which is your version. So be careful, I've seen some people cry on the forum about it!

dogfart
06-02-2013, 03:56 PM
With 223 you cannot overclock! An advice from me is not to go into your BIOS either!
Do not do anything that will make you save changes. I am currently having a G55, but its the same with the G75. The latest BIOS versions for both models are corrupted, and as long as you go into the BIOS everything's ok, but if you choose reset to defaults or save changes and exit options it will brick instantly. I have gone through 2 RMAs just because of this thing. Now I will not do anything into the BIOS until a good update comes out. I recommend the same for you.
However there is a way to downgrade to a previous safer and more stable version of the BIOS. The guide is somewhere in this forum, but I do not remember the name of the thread. For me that version is 209, after that version everything is corrupted that means 214 and 217, I don't know what versions are corrupted for G75 though. The only version I am sure of is 223 which is your version. So be careful, I've seen some people cry on the forum about it!

Hello and thanx for your concern and warning. I personally never "reset to defaults" as IMO I think thats a myth that if you do that after flashing things will work properly...bla bla bla. My first computer was a 386sx 33Mhz. Used to play Wolfenstein 3D on it back in 1992! Point is Ive been flashing bios' for a long time and never have I had to "reset to defaults". Furthermore I have changed settings in my 223 bios and saved with no problems at all. I have seen where many have bricked their computer from flashing or changing and saving a setting, but at least on my machine thats NOT the case. I have the G75VW-DS71 model purchased here: http://www.excaliberpc.com/615923/asus-g75vw-ds71-17.3-rog-laptop.html#TabDescription Thanx again tho for your concern.