PDA

View Full Version : May Madness Results and Discussion

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 07:58 AM
May Madness was a challange open to all ROG forum members.

The Benchmarks

3Dmark2001SE
Wprime1024
Aquamark

Hardware Limitation
ASUS Motherboard only
The same hardware has to be used for all 3 benchmarks
No Sub Zero cooling - photographic proof will be required
CPU frequency has to be the same for all three benchmarks - and if your result is to good to be true, then it most probably is.
Single Video card or Dual Video card
If you are in the top three a video will be required showing a successful completion of your Wprime run.

Benchmark Limitations
3DMark2001SE Nature Score is Capped at 1000
Same Operating System for all three.
Same CPU frequency for all three.

Start 1 May 2013
Close 31 May 2013

And the final results are....

flexnl
nikosa43
Menthol

Congratulation to Alex (flexnl) and to all that participated in this challenge. You guys have come a long way since the challenge opened. Let us use this discussion part to share ram timings and other settings that we used or experimented with to all learn more about these benchmarks and our systems.

I will consolidate all the tweaks and guides into one or two posts here in this thread for future reference if you guys like or maybe Zka can have them in the team section if that would be better for the team.

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 07:59 AM
reserved for guides and stuff like that.

Arne Saknussemm
06-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Congrats flexnl! Nice benching! well done nikosa43 and Menthol....and everyone else.....this was good fun.....and truth be told will keep me occupied for a while yet!

Truth be told I have a whole lot to learn about RAM too henk......we can investigate together....:D

Thanks HiVizMan, as always, for setting it up and all the shared knowledge, tips and tricks!

Myk SilentShadow
06-01-2013, 11:36 AM
congrats to the top 3!!! and I would like to voice my opinion of yes, please, guides so when I get my bench built I can mess with it :D

nikosa43
06-01-2013, 01:12 PM
@ Flexnl, yes it is Coolabs Ultra on the die, lapped Heatspreader from outside, Coolabs Ultra again for contact with NH-D14. Heat surface of Noctua is intact, never lapped.

@ Henk, the much you want to know about memory, multiply by two and it's the things I want and I need to know about memory. If you noticed my settings never been very tight, because of a simple reason. My knowledge in that domain is swallow. But, that's one of the reasons we are here.

@ Arne, it's amazing how many things answered to me, (and how many not :p), from this challenge. Because for me the real challenge was to make it work on that clocks, I 've never been before. On day one, the highest clock I have managed to stabilize was 5G and after a week, I caught myself tweaking and changing things with confidence on 5.2G.

@Vizman, the thing you said about a secret button lurking in the depth of the BIOS, was it a joke or it was real? Because I found out something this morning, that was a huge boost to specific things.

Menthol
06-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Congratulations to everyone, Flex, Nikosa, really great stuff you did.
Viz,
Thanks again for hosting this for us.

nikosa43
06-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Congratulations to everyone, Flex, Nikosa, really great stuff you did.
Viz,
Thanks again for hosting this for us.

Thanks Menthol, btw, your avatar really means a lot to me (I wanted to say that long time ago).

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 02:11 PM
@Vizman, the thing you said about a secret button lurking in the depth of the BIOS, was it a joke or it was real? Because I found out something this morning, that was a huge boost to specific things.

LOL share with us all nikosa it is not secret.

Henkenator68NL
06-01-2013, 03:48 PM
Guys how do I set LOD back to normall??

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 03:58 PM
What video card?

If AMD SetLOD6 0 enter
If nVid. Inspector LOD 0.000

Done deal

nikosa43
06-01-2013, 04:13 PM
LOL share with us all nikosa it is not secret.

It was sometime in the morning (I don't quite remember 03:00 or 04:00). I was trying to come close to Flex's amazing Aqua score. I had done all my optimizations, tested many times and everything was absolutely stable and first time I felt that I had total control on the scores. I had find the golden setup for my H/W and I got 415000 points all the time -/+ some points, if I made some minor tweaks. I was ready to give up, because I couldn't imagine what was the extra thing that can give me 5000 extra points. Then I decided to go for a walk in BIOS, just to check everything again.
This settings are of them, that my mind never gave second thought. I was saying, Ok it's some Intel stuff that do something but who knows, what really do. After that, I had a second thought. I thought that this thing, maybe it serves as a buffer to optimize some functions. Maybe in our case that we need something like fast streaming of DATA, acts as a brake.
So, I disabled Hardware prefetcher, Adjacent cash line prefetch and something above them which serves as a protection for malicious code. Reboot, loaded tweaked driver, adjusted GPU OC and I gave it a run. First splash screen and my jaw hitted the floor. 420200 points!!! That was 5000 bonus by just turning one button. From that floor, yes, I could reach somehow 1000 points....:D I used that to run one 3dmark also. Gave some extra points and I felt it flow better but nothing like Aqua. I didnt used it for wPrime, so I do not know if there is an effect there. :cool:

Zka17
06-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Nice job to all - congrats to flexnl, nikosa43 and Menthol! :cool:

Special thanks to HiVizMan for organizing this Challenge! I'm sure, we learned a lot from this one too and also sure that in couple weeks we all will be able to have high scores in these benchmarks... :)

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Nikos yeah that makes a huge difference in 2D benching too.

With 3D benching and especially 2001SE benching you need to find a motherboard that is the most efficient at the benchmark. I do not think that the Maximus V Extreme is that good for this benchmark. I have way better scores with other boards, the gene is very good for 2001 I found. And I test maybe 5 of each board to see what board is the most efficient.

Another thing you can do is disable all the services in BIOS that you do not need. So no lan no sound no USB3 stuff like that. You want the bare minimum working. That is why cheap no frill boards are often more efficient than the expensive enthusiast boards. BUT they do not last long. The Extreme lasts really long under Sub-Zero conditions. So too the Gene by the way. :)

Pleased you all enjoyed yourselves.

You guys nearly ready for some Summer Sizzle????

Henkenator68NL
06-01-2013, 04:35 PM
What video card?

If AMD SetLOD6 0 enter
If nVid. Inspector LOD 0.000

Done deal

Thanks you verry mug ! (little dutch joke that you probably know ... :-)

Zka17
06-01-2013, 04:48 PM

You guys nearly ready for some Summer Sizzle????

Hm... what is that? Is it an another Challenge? :)

Arne Saknussemm
06-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Hm... what is that? Is it an another Challenge? :)

Hmmm.....is that going to be photos of HiVizMan in his leopard skin swimming trunks?

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 05:39 PM

Nope it means we bench hot....

Arne Saknussemm
06-01-2013, 05:43 PM
ROFL!! :D :eek: :D

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 05:50 PM
And you have to provide a photo to support your benching claim you in your mankini and your hardwear (pun intended) in one photo. So lads start looking on eBay on Amazon for those mankini's the only way to sizzle. :D :D

Arne Saknussemm
06-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Got mine!.....http://www.ebay.es/itm/Tuxedo-Mankini-Borat-Fancy-Dress-Wedding-Costume-/230988019656?pt=AU_Costumes&hash=item35c7f577c8#ht_3010wt_906

Dartmaul
06-01-2013, 06:34 PM
FFS Viz I've spend whole evening to update my submission and you didn't included my last results in final leader board(((

Update it please)) (off course it wouldn't affect top3 in any way but I'd like to move from the last place)

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Dartmaul here is the new leaderboard but you are still in tied 6th place.

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
Got mine!.....http://www.ebay.es/itm/Tuxedo-Mankini-Borat-Fancy-Dress-Wedding-Costume-/230988019656?pt=AU_Costumes&hash=item35c7f577c8#ht_3010wt_906

Hmm classy - like the cuffs.

Menthol
06-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Benching hot?

HiVizMan
06-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh hell yes.

flexnl
06-02-2013, 04:32 AM
tnx alot all of ypu... and tnx for this challenge i had a lot of fun!!
also big gaines on hwbot:

3dmark2001: 87213----> 119185

aquamark: 409839-----> 430331

prime: 149.865-----> 143.625

all tnks to this challenge TNK YOU ALL and keep on benchin!!! :D:D

flexnl
06-02-2013, 04:39 AM
It was sometime in the morning (I don't quite remember 03:00 or 04:00). I was trying to come close to Flex's amazing Aqua score. I had done all my optimizations, tested many times and everything was absolutely stable and first time I felt that I had total control on the scores. I had find the golden setup for my H/W and I got 415000 points all the time -/+ some points, if I made some minor tweaks. I was ready to give up, because I couldn't imagine what was the extra thing that can give me 5000 extra points. Then I decided to go for a walk in BIOS, just to check everything again.
This settings are of them, that my mind never gave second thought. I was saying, Ok it's some Intel stuff that do something but who knows, what really do. After that, I had a second thought. I thought that this thing, maybe it serves as a buffer to optimize some functions. Maybe in our case that we need something like fast streaming of DATA, acts as a brake.
So, I disabled Hardware prefetcher, Adjacent cash line prefetch and something above them which serves as a protection for malicious code. Reboot, loaded tweaked driver, adjusted GPU OC and I gave it a run. First splash screen and my jaw hitted the floor. 420200 points!!! That was 5000 bonus by just turning one button. From that floor, yes, I could reach somehow 1000 points....:D I used that to run one 3dmark also. Gave some extra points and I felt it flow better but nothing like Aqua. I didnt used it for wPrime, so I do not know if there is an effect there. :cool:

nice job man:)
btw the "hint" about beeing something in the bios was given at some point in the thread by hivizman :):)

nikosa43
06-02-2013, 08:08 AM
nice job man:) btw the "hint" about beeing something in the bios was given at some point in the thread by hivizman :):) I know my friend :). Call me stupid, but because of lack of experience in benching and the given humorous style of Vizman, I was scratching my head if he was serious or made a joke about that tip. If I knew before, I could use it also when I had the wPrime night session. I wonder what could be the number. I gathered lots of knowledge from that night, especially on the thermal behavior of the system and the settings I had to use, because for the very first time temperature throttling, was not an issue. We have to discuss this thing. Once again congratulations to your win. I wish we had this golden cup for real also :D

HiVizMan
06-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Nikos do you know what that cup is? I selected that one because of you. It is the first cup in a series.

Arne Saknussemm
06-02-2013, 09:00 AM
They are beautiful! Some of the nicest things ever made in gold that's for sure.....

nikosa43
06-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Nikos do you know what that cup is? I selected that one because of you. It is the first cup in a series. Hahaha, you just killed me. I was thinking, where from, I remember this one? Is it from Uncharted Drake's Fortune in PS3? No, stupid, you have seen it in Athens Archaelogical Museum :D... Thanks Vizman, Bulls are my favorite animals, my star sign also (although I don't believe in that much). They symbolize silent and cool power.

HiVizMan
06-02-2013, 11:02 AM
Yip it is the first gold cup from Vaphio, Catching a wild Bull (part of the royal ritual, the deeds of Heracles)

The second cup will be for the winner of the Summer Sizzler.

nikosa43
06-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Yip it is the first gold cup from Vaphio, Catching a wild Bull (part of the royal ritual, the deeds of Heracles)The second cup will be for the winner of the Summer Sizzler. lol, the Summer Sizzler is the one I am scared of. I will send a picture in the afternoon to show why :)

Dartmaul
06-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Dartmaul here is the new leaderboard but you are still in tied 6th place.

Thank you, Sir. :(

HiVizMan
06-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Thank you, Sir. :(

Ah don't look so sad my friend you did not have chance to play with us. The bonus points made such a big difference to the challange. I think that having them added to the event.

What do the other guys think?

And I would be interested in seeing your 2001SE running order. list the card and the running order. If you like you can include your LOD for each benchmark.

I will go first with some of mine.

GTX 580

N 4.5 --- CH 2 --- LH (2 or 6) --- DH 6.5 --- LL 1 --- DL 4 --- CL 2.5

nikosa43
06-02-2013, 06:07 PM
First, have a look to a couple of pictures of today's benching. I am scared of the Summer Sizzler because I don't want my rig, looks like my other rig outside. :)

HAF BBQ

CLOSER LOOK INSIDE

Arne Saknussemm
06-02-2013, 06:20 PM
LOL HAF BBQ! Looks good though...made me hungry :p

nikosa43
06-02-2013, 06:21 PM
My last run was at 5 o'clock in the morning and I was in rush. I gave a run to all the games with the same settings and the same LOD --> 5.125 ASUS GTX570 DCII

CL once (for some funny reason my first run, always is without the barrel) 1673
NATURE 1277
LH 727
DL 1716
DH 1008
LL 1521
CH 407
NATURE (as many times needed, reducing oc of GPU to reach 1000 cap)

nikosa43
06-02-2013, 06:24 PM
LOL HAF BBQ! Looks good though...made me hungry :p

Arne if you ever be in Greece, you are welcome to a bench session like this :D

HiVizMan
06-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Might just take you up on that if the offer is extended to me too.

nikosa43
06-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Might just take you up on that if the offer is extended to me too.

It's definetely a YES Vizman and of course we can discuss about the sequence : Beef-->Pork-->Sausage---> Chops--->Burgers or your favourite run and LODs... rare, medium, well done etc...:D

flexnl
06-02-2013, 10:49 PM
N 4 ---- CH 4 ---- LH 4 ---- DL 3 ---- LL 3 ---- DH 4 ---- CL 3

this is not the run from the challenge but from a submission from hwbot...
cpu @ 5200mhz ---- ramtimings @ 9-12-11-36-1 ---- 1200mhz (2400) <-----ddrVoltage @ 1.82
gave me 124k

:D

flexnl
06-02-2013, 10:57 PM
It's definetely a YES Vizman and of course we can discuss about the sequence : Beef-->Pork-->Sausage---> Chops--->Burgers or your favourite run and LODs... rare, medium, well done etc...:D

i hear greek ladys are very beautifull to :)

nikosa43
06-02-2013, 11:29 PM
i hear greek ladys are very beautifull to :)

lol, they like to take care themshelves too much. High maintenance stuff :)

Flex, I also noticed improved performance with increase of voltage for DRAM. VCCIO and VCSA also needs more than 1.2 to those frequencies. For my GSkill pair it says actually 1.25V for the memory controller, which I never use when I have it for normal every day use 4.4GHz. Usually I leave it around 1.0Volts.

Henkenator68NL
06-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Oke guys the riddle of Henk...

I turned everything upside down to get the AM3 score higher ... Tried it al RAM running on 2400MHz CL9 : no problemo
Used the hardware prefetcher etc that nikosa posted..

result: jack s**t

After close examening: what happens when I run AM3 .... only 1 core works the others are not

So I still keep getting the same low scores on the cpu 31k-ish : I got the highest score on AM3 arround 357k but no where near 400K+

I disabled HT.... same result

I am completely baffled :confused: :mad: :p

Surely I must have done something stupid, any ideas guys

flexnl
06-03-2013, 08:01 PM
I know my friend :). Call me stupid, but because of lack of experience in benching and the given humorous style of Vizman, I was scratching my head if he was serious or made a joke about that tip. If I knew before, I could use it also when I had the wPrime night session. I wonder what could be the number. I gathered lots of knowledge from that night, especially on the thermal behavior of the system and the settings I had to use, because for the very first time temperature throttling, was not an issue. We have to discuss this thing. Once again congratulations to your win. I wish we had this golden cup for real also :D

haha i would melt it down and builld the ultimate bench rigg :D:D

flexnl
06-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Flex, I also noticed improved performance with increase of voltage for DRAM. VCCIO and VCSA also needs more than 1.2 to those frequencies. For my GSkill pair it says actually 1.25V for the memory controller, which I never use when I have it for normal every day use 4.4GHz. Usually I leave it around 1.0Volts.

yes had VCCIO at 1.3v
VCSA i always leave auto...

i m lookin around for a sweet pair of ram sticks to buy also..
now i have mushkin2133 redline wich have always been good to me.. 2400 cl9 2600 cl10 no problem
but want more, better, faster :D:D

Arne Saknussemm
06-03-2013, 08:17 PM

Wow.....most of my girlfriends must have had Greek ancestry then ;)

any ideas guys

Henk! have you done the renaming the Aquamark exe file. to Crysis(.exe) ?

haha i would melt it down and builld the ultimate bench rigg :D:D

flexnl!.....melt it down....I'm speechless......I'd keep it and drink my beer out of it :D

flexnl
06-03-2013, 08:22 PM

I turned everything upside down to get the AM3 score higher ... Tried it al RAM running on 2400MHz CL9 : no problemo

After close examening: what happens when I run AM3 .... only 1 core works the others are not

So I still keep getting the same low scores on the cpu 31k-ish : I got the highest score on AM3 arround 357k but no where near 400K+

are you absolutlly sure you have the renaming of the exe right?
and have the wrapper linked to the renamed file
and have the rivatuner D3Doverider running the right way?
also the inspector settings set the way The Boss himself ( HiVizman ofcours) proposed?
running in diagnostic mode?
everything has to be perfect henk. I really think there must be something you overlook :)
use win7 64bits also...
Good Luck!

flexnl
06-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Wow.....most of my girlfriends must have had Greek ancestry then ;)

Haha most...? :D tell us about the ones that did not :P were they reall dirty and smelly girls ? :P

flexnl!.....melt it down....I'm speechless......I'd keep it and drink my beer out of it :D

hmmm that might be a good ideea alsoo...o well all ideas that involve getting drunk seem oke to me haha :D
and who knowes we might even do it 4 real some time :D would be lots of fun i bet! with this bunch of crazy bencherss

:D:D:)

Arne Saknussemm
06-03-2013, 09:03 PM
LOL flexnl! They're not dirty and smelly....the're outdoorsy ;)

Yeah a ROG barbecue one day would be nice.....we could cook on GTX 480s :D

flexnl
06-03-2013, 09:12 PM
LOL flexnl! They're not dirty and smelly....the're outdoorsy ;)

Yeah a ROG barbecue one day would be nice.....we could cook on GTX 480s :D

wahah outdoorsy :P :eek:

HiVizMan
06-03-2013, 09:49 PM

To get the scores you need to have affinity set to more than one core, at least two.

The way I do that is by renaming the exe file in the x86 programs folder. Let me see if there is a batch file or dll that you can use and I will link it here. I used to have a patched dll for 64bit.

nikosa43
06-03-2013, 10:46 PM
To get the scores you need to have affinity set to more than one core, at least two. The way I do that is by renaming the exe file in the x86 programs folder. Let me see if there is a batch file or dll that you can use and I will link it here. I used to have a patched dll for 64bit. Hi guys, I am in the middle of a business trip in Creta island. Unfortunately no Minos Palace for me. In addition to the affinity tip, Vizman said, I 've seen better scores when I set affinity not to all cores but skipping one. So, if I use 4 cores, instead set affinity to all 4 of them, I set only to 0 and 2. It worked for me :).

HiVizMan
06-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Yes that is correct.

Henkenator68NL
06-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Is it the HWBOt wrapper that causes this??? At thestart it asks about affinity, but it doesnt seem to matter what I fill in

HiVizMan
06-04-2013, 05:49 PM
will download the latest version and have a look

HiVizMan
06-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Just downloaded a fresh copy and my day to day system got 333K

Seems pretty normal.

Henk list your hardware and the score you get please.

Dartmaul
06-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Ah don't look so sad my friend you did not have chance to play with us.
This challenge had the most specific HW requirements then any other. Such "antiquarian" benching)
But how it has been said: who doesn't takes a look at the past has no future)

My exams are almost over and I'm looking for some HW upgrade. Have to decide Haswell or wait for Ivy-E...

HiVizMan
06-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Ah Summer Sizzle is the one for you.

flexnl
06-04-2013, 06:55 PM
pffff hot in my room todayyy cant get any score out grrrr

nikosa43
06-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Ah Summer Sizzle is the one for you.

I wonder what goodies you have in your mind :p

nikosa43
06-04-2013, 10:17 PM
pffff hot in my room todayyy cant get any score out grrrr

Smells like Barbeque :)

Henkenator68NL
06-09-2013, 05:38 AM
Just downloaded a fresh copy and my day to day system got 333KSeems pretty normal.Henk list your hardware and the score you get please.

Just tried and tried but it doesnt seem to move up, the AM3 score that is.

Hw:maximus v extreme 3770k
watercooled custom loop @5100

7970 ghz edition water cooled @1220 /1750
2x 4gb Riipjaws X cl9 2133MHz @2400 cl9,11,10,36,

1tstripped winxp 32 bit
- renamed aquamark.exe to crysis.exe.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2387591_check

my cpu score it think its way to low

gfx score is really not bad
tried running it in win7, but it will not start, same for 3dmark01

all other tests are as to be expected, except AM3 ...hope this provides you with a clue..By the way Dagmar, huge scores m8! wauw!
take care talk to later

resolution: 1024x768, 16 bit

killed al. processes set affinity to 1 and later to 2 cores

killed explorer

ran AM3: 360k

HiVizMan
06-09-2013, 08:53 AM
OK will do some testing myself and see how it goes. AM3 is not a bench I have done much of recently so it will be good to see how the new Wrapper works too.

nikosa43
06-09-2013, 12:42 PM
Just tried and tried but it doesnt seem to move up, the AM3 score that is.

Hw:maximus v extreme 3770k
watercooled custom loop @5100

7970 ghz edition water cooled @1220 /1750
2x 4gb Riipjaws X cl9 2133MHz @2400 cl9,11,10,36,

1tstripped winxp 32 bit
- renamed aquamark.exe to crysis.exe.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2387591_check

my cpu score it think its way to low

gfx score is really not bad
tried running it in win7, but it will not start, same for 3dmark01

all other tests are as to be expected, except AM3 ...hope this provides you with a clue..By the way Dagmar, huge scores m8! wauw!
take care talk to later

resolution: 1024x768, 16 bit

killed al. processes set affinity to 1 and later to 2 cores

killed explorer

ran AM3: 360k

Henk hi, try this. Run the wrapper and press start. Then choose real time and by all cores from the menu. Then open Task manager, point to Crysis.exe, set real time to the process and then set affinity to cores 0 and 2. Then kill explorer, close Task manager and start the bench :), I hope it will work for you.

Henkenator68NL
06-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks Niko,Ill try that, keep you posted.By the way the file that is renamed is not the hwbot wrapper right? It is about the file sitting 1 directory lower that the hwbotwrapper directory (better double checked than a babylonian speech confusion - or confusius to keep it greek :-P)

nikosa43
06-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks Niko,Ill try that, keep you posted.By the way the file that is renamed is not the hwbot wrapper right? It is about the file sitting 1 directory lower that the hwbotwrapper directory (better double checked than a babylonian speech confusion - or confusius to keep it greek :-P)
Henk, my friend, to tell the truth, I didn't rename the file. I did my runs in a stripped win XP OS, I 've prepared and from the beginning run to 2 cores. I renamed files, I deleted files, no matter what I did, my runs were the same. I also stripped Win 7 64 from an ISO file I have kept immediately after activation without any applications installed. In that case no matter what I did, I couldn't pass 360000 points. Also my runs were not in diagnostic mode. I run once in diagnostic mode and because the message for activation of OS came up, I didn't want to reenable Ethernet adapter and internet for activation, so I reinstalled the previous activated image. Flexnl, seems to mastered very well the win 7 64 version.

HiVizMan
06-09-2013, 08:06 PM
With the latest version of HWBOT AM3 wrapper you do not need to rename anything. The wrapper automatically allows you to select the number of cores. It was to enable all cores that we used to rename the aquamark.exe file.

flexnl
06-09-2013, 09:00 PM
its kinda.....SISZZZZLING hot over here :D

Henkenator68NL
06-09-2013, 09:02 PM
With the latest version of HWBOT AM3 wrapper you do not need to rename anything. The wrapper automatically allows you to select the number of cores. It was to enable all cores that we used to rename the aquamark.exe file.

perhaps a silly question, but could the total stripped os be the cause of this?? ie missing chipset driver or something like that?

HiVizMan
06-09-2013, 09:31 PM
It could most certainly. If you have a spare HDD install a full OS and compare.

Henkenator68NL
06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
to be totally clear.. on how many cores should the test run?
Set affinity to real time and than all cores??
if i do that still 2 cores running?

I am AM-fusius

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

dead meat !:mad:

Henkenator68NL
06-09-2013, 10:57 PM
It could most certainly. If you have a spare HDD install a full OS and compare.

tomorrow new day, new energy !

nikosa43
06-10-2013, 01:36 AM
its kinda.....SISZZZZLING hot over here :D Hi Flex, aircondition here is a must have :)

nikosa43
06-10-2013, 01:38 AM
to be totally clear.. on how many cores should the test run?Set affinity to real time and than all cores??if i do that still 2 cores running?I am AM-fusiusgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr21217dead meat !:mad: Never saw it run more than two cores.

Henkenator68NL
06-10-2013, 02:12 AM
I have clean install version for xp win 7 and win 8! I always clone the partition after fresh iinstall. use acronis true image or even mMicrosoft backup. troubles... swap drive, 10 min tops to get it restored to after clean install.

Will see if its a missing driver.

wordt vervolgd

HiVizMan
06-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Think we need to work out what is the best practice for AM3 in this thread and then write it up for all our team members.

flexnl
06-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Hi Flex, aircondition here is a must have :)

haha
im on an attic zo very hot.... need winter hah :P

flexnl
06-10-2013, 01:15 PM
here is what i do for am3 on windows7 64bit system

HiVizMan
06-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Yip that is about all - resolution is key of course but I assume that we are all running at the benchmark screen resolution.

Arne Saknussemm
06-10-2013, 02:17 PM
........actually some of us weren't :o....does that make a big difference? actually I can answer that by trying it....

HiVizMan
06-10-2013, 02:53 PM
Screen resolution is singularly the most important 'tweak' for all benchmarks. Regardless which one your run make sure you are running the bench at the bench resolution.

Arne Saknussemm
06-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Jeepers! righto!.....thanks HiViz!

nikosa43
06-10-2013, 06:25 PM
........actually some of us weren't :o....does that make a big difference? actually I can answer that by trying it.... :D Arne, you make my day with your sayings. That remind me a small boy in school, that admits he made a naughty thing. lol, maybe I have lots of imagination....:)

nikosa43
06-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Screen resolution is singularly the most important 'tweak' for all benchmarks. Regardless which one your run make sure you are running the bench at the bench resolution. Resolution was always set to the benchy's native. Does color depth has any impact? I run mine in 8 bits.

Arne Saknussemm
06-10-2013, 06:39 PM
That remind me a small boy in school, that admits he made a naughty thing. lol, maybe I have lots of imagination

LOL....nah....you're right....I can hear The HiVizMan now...

21240"Don't forget to set the RE - SO - LU - TION Arne!"

nikosa43
06-10-2013, 08:38 PM
LOL....nah....you're right....I can hear The HiVizMan now...21240"Don't forget to set the RE - SO - LU - TION Arne!" Ahahaha!! That brought tears in my eyes :D. Vizman as the strict teacher and young overclockers to the Bench Boarding School trying to cope with his lessons. Fabulous!!! I wish it was for real, excellent school :D

Henkenator68NL
06-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Yes!

Finally broke through the 400K barrier in Aquamark !!

Score: 404584

The only change I made ... installed a complete new windows 7 version.

CPU@5000MHz mem 2400MHz CL9-12-10-36-1T

HiVizMan
06-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Well done Henk very pleased for you.

Arne Saknussemm
06-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Nice one Henk.....perseverance paid off there!:D

nikosa43
06-12-2013, 06:52 PM
Well done Henk, :D. I wish, I could see your Chip delidded, but honestly I cannot push you to that because until you see the first successfull boot your blood pressure goes skyrocket. :).

flexnl
06-12-2013, 07:51 PM
GJ Henk de aanhouder wint :)

nikosa43
06-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Flex, how the temps go there? Here, is an amazing mess. We have rains with dust from North Africa, quick up and downs. For real, until now, if I don't look at the calendar, I have no idea what season we have. May, during the challenge we have hit 36 and now the top is 29.

HiVizMan
06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
We are nearly into summer and the temps are really hotting up here. Yes indeed, think we got to 18'C at noon today.

flexnl
06-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Flex, how the temps go there? Here, is an amazing mess. We have rains with dust from North Africa, quick up and downs. For real, until now, if I don't look at the calendar, I have no idea what season we have. May, during the challenge we have hit 36 and now the top is 29.
well its between 18 and 25 over here but my appartment has no airco so ambient temp of 28-30 i guess
i desided te see how sizzling proof my delidded friend is and its not bad...

henk could you trie to run prime 48x for 10 mins..soo we can see the difference between delidded cpu or not :)
should be interesting... and your temps my greek friend? :D

nikosa43
06-13-2013, 07:35 AM
We are nearly into summer and the temps are really hotting up here. Yes indeed, think we got to 18'C at noon today. Wow 18C, sounds very good to my ears Vizman. I bet Overclocking, first started from the northern countries :)

nikosa43
06-13-2013, 07:54 AM
well its between 18 and 25 over here but my appartment has no airco so ambient temp of 28-30 i guessi desided te see how sizzling proof my delidded friend is and its not bad...21318henk could you trie to run prime 48x for 10 mins..soo we can see the difference between delidded cpu or not :)should be interesting... and your temps my greek friend? :D Flex, I had not idea you could have those temps in Holland. For you it must be real hot. But from your pic, temps look ok for a 48 x. I 'll set a 48 x too and check mine also. Here, we have lots of ups and downs. For the moment I do not use the airconditioner, so I 'll write down the room ambient the moment I 'll do the run. When I visited Amsterdam, about a decade ago, it was February, but I remember it was very hot around a specific shopping district :D

Arne Saknussemm
06-13-2013, 08:04 AM
36 here today.....bring on the weekend....no benching...just beach:D

flexnl
06-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Flex, I had not idea you could have those temps in Holland. For you it must be real hot. But from your pic, temps look ok for a 48 x. I 'll set a 48 x too and check mine also. Here, we have lots of ups and downs. For the moment I do not use the airconditioner, so I 'll write down the room ambient the moment I 'll do the run. When I visited Amsterdam, about a decade ago, it was February, but I remember it was very hot around a specific shopping district :D

yeAH that ...we got alot off, whorehouses and coffeeshops waha
btw that is in amsterdam only... here in brabant were i live we have only 1 coffeshop nearby :)
BUT i stoped smokin that **** ages ago so... huh..... why am i talking about this??? :D:D

but yeah in summer it is very hot over here usualy. Sometimes 30-35 for weeks ... but i dont know if the impact on benching is that big of a deal... i broke my 3dmvantage record with this setup yesterday when it was at boillingpoint in my room :)... maybe h2o cooled cards better resist the temps or something

p.s I was in your country to nikosa...3weeks and i dont remember much of it haha only that my walllet was 3000euros lighter in 3weeks... daaaamz thats expansive over there men... 2beer @ 10euro if you r lucky pffff and stilll you guys go bankrupt haha (little joke) sorry :)
btw i was in KOS

Myk SilentShadow
06-13-2013, 12:00 PM
~chuckles~ it's cute how Viz thinks 18 C is hot....when you experience 40 Deg C days...then we'll talk about Summer mate :p

HiVizMan
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Well to put things in perspective, when it gets to 25'C in London it is officially a heatwave. Sad but true.

flexnl
06-13-2013, 02:05 PM
any hotter isnt relaxed anyway...25C is good temp :D dont be sad :D:D

HiVizMan
06-13-2013, 02:22 PM
No I am not sad when it is 25'C - what I am trying to explain is when the temp gets to that (has not yet for a while) then they declare a official Heat Wave weather warning in London. You know like if it is going to flood or stuff like that, it is very funny to me.

nikosa43
06-13-2013, 02:45 PM
yeAH that ...we got alot off, whorehouses and coffeeshops waha
btw that is in amsterdam only... here in brabant were i live we have only 1 coffeshop nearby :)
BUT i stoped smokin that **** ages ago so... huh..... why am i talking about this??? :D:D

but yeah in summer it is very hot over here usualy. Sometimes 30-35 for weeks ... but i dont know if the impact on benching is that big of a deal... i broke my 3dmvantage record with this setup yesterday when it was at boillingpoint in my room :)... maybe h2o cooled cards better resist the temps or something

p.s I was in your country to nikosa...3weeks and i dont remember much of it haha only that my walllet was 3000euros lighter in 3weeks... daaaamz thats expansive over there men... 2beer @ 10euro if you r lucky pffff and stilll you guys go bankrupt haha (little joke) sorry :)
btw i was in KOS

Yes, I know, I am sorry for that Flex. It 's the land of corruption. Greece is a beautiful country, but only if you are rich. It is also the last communist country. Everybody wants to work to a public job, doing nothing and get paid. The rest of us work to pay taxes for their salaries and pensions. Bankrupcy was a natural thing after this, the only bad thing is who suffered before, now suffers more. As for tourism, the same mentality. They want to work for a few months and get paid for a year. There are good places with services worth to pay and not expensive but you have to know where to go.

nikosa43
06-13-2013, 02:54 PM
36 here today.....bring on the weekend....no benching...just beach:D

Bring it on :cool:. I just need mirror sunglasses to survey the surroundings without bedtalk after :D

nikosa43
06-13-2013, 02:58 PM
No I am not sad when it is 25'C - what I am trying to explain is when the temp gets to that (has not yet for a while) then they declare a official Heat Wave weather warning in London. You know like if it is going to flood or stuff like that, it is very funny to me.

lol, I know exactly what are you talking about. I remember people in London sunbathing with 18 C and I was searching with a telescopope over the sky to find out where the sun was.

nikosa43
06-13-2013, 03:10 PM
~chuckles~ it's cute how Viz thinks 18 C is hot....when you experience 40 Deg C days...then we'll talk about Summer mate :p

Hey Myk, my favorite place is in Cairns. 36 C all over the year. The place is magnificent. I don't care about the wet season. Best diving area of the world. I am trying to get a transfer there. South is more hot, I know because my wife is from there. Don't ask what I 'm doing here and do not complain about expensive prices there. You live in the best country of the world.

Henkenator68NL
06-13-2013, 05:03 PM
@flex
Dank je wel ! ;)

@nikosa
Thanks m8!
about delidding .... hmmm I am still thinking about it ... The thing is ... I have really unsteady hands, trying to do that I am sure I will ruin the CPU.

Nontheless I did break my AM3 score again today:
414014 MARKS!

http://hwbot.org/submission/2389392_

:cool:

But now the temps are rising here too, but bad weather is coming :D

HiVizMan
06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Henk it is all about trial and error. I can recall starting a bench session and for the first two hours or so getting no real gains, but by the end of the session I had far exceeded the targets I had set myself. Learning about what services were needed, and which were not. The smaller tweaks can make a difference for those extra points. Stuff like using the keyboard to start benchmarks and not using a mouse.

Henkenator68NL
06-13-2013, 09:18 PM
@ flexjeI will run prime tomorrow, I cant wait to see the difference. Which prime test did you run? small fft?

nikosa43
06-14-2013, 01:20 AM
Henk it is all about trial and error. I can recall starting a bench session and for the first two hours or so getting no real gains, but by the end of the session I had far exceeded the targets I had set myself. Learning about what services were needed, and which were not. The smaller tweaks can make a difference for those extra points. Stuff like using the keyboard to start benchmarks and not using a mouse. The keyboard start is for real, or it's a matter of saying? :) Also, I remember I faced a problem. When I booted in diagnostic mode the OS, asked for reactivation. Because I didn't want to reenable internet and do it, I didn't use it and I reinstalled the activated image I had prepared. What did you do in such case?. Because, sooner or later someone have to go back to normal. Don't tell me that I have to reactivate again, because after a while it will lock or something. What I have to do? Keep images of the same OS in different disks or images without internet is a solution?

flexnl
06-14-2013, 02:04 AM
Yes, I know, I am sorry for that Flex. It 's the land of corruption. Greece is a beautiful country, but only if you are rich. It is also the last communist country. Everybody wants to work to a public job, doing nothing and get paid. The rest of us work to pay taxes for their salaries and pensions. Bankrupcy was a natural thing after this, the only bad thing is who suffered before, now suffers more. As for tourism, the same mentality. They want to work for a few months and get paid for a year. There are good places with services worth to pay and not expensive but you have to know where to go.

**** the system...keep on benchin :D

flexnl
06-14-2013, 02:09 AM
@ flexjeI will run prime tomorrow, I cant wait to see the difference. Which prime test did you run? small fft?

aight! ;)
no... blend...and memorie set at xmp (2133 1.65v)

Henkenator68NL
06-14-2013, 05:27 AM
@ flex all right, ill post the results later.@ nikosa, I use ps2 keyboard, not even a usb device.For the OS, I just install the os. Skip the serial question part and select do not activate online. You have 30 days to activate. Than I take ot the hdd put it othed system and clone the OS partition (I use acronis its super fast and has never failed me).Then I put the hdd back (I use 2,5 inch sdd and hdd and have a docking bay for it so i can fast swap OS) and start benching. If microsoft start whining about activation I just whipe the drive and put back the image with acronis (10 minutes)Also I have a version of unattend Win7 , this is a fast business installer for doing fast install including all updates . Ofcourse I have valid serials for it (just in case big brother is reading this :-P )

Henkenator68NL
06-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Oke Guys,

Here are my temps, after running Prime95 for at least 10 minutes:

@Flexje: What kind off cooling do you use Flexje?

I use a custom waterloop:
1 x cpu block
1 x gpu block
1 x alphacool monsta 240 radiator (80 mm thick, 4 x noctua nf-p12 in push pull)
1 x hwlabs gtx120 radiator (53 mm thick with 20 fins per inch, 2 x noctua nf-p12 in push pull)
1 x laing DDC-1t pump
1 x reservoir

flexnl
06-14-2013, 10:41 PM
wow ..geuss not al ivy's are hotties...you have a very cool chip there henk.. same temps as my delidded and i use only 1.32v pfff nice :D no need to chop up the chip i would say :)... are you running your mem @1.65v ?

i have h100 for my cpu with 2 original corsair h100 fans (LOUD f*ckers) push and 2 noktua p12's pull....and for gfx i have custom loop with 240 rad and 2 noktua f12 pwm (hooked up on my gtx 680 ofcourse)pull, and 2 cheapass fans push...eheim 1046 pump... ek FC block

i havent desided yet if im gonna go spend a fortune on phase change or keep it and put the money towards ln2 setup... :D

anywayy nice chip henk ! tnx for sharing

nikosa43
06-16-2013, 01:07 PM
@ flex all right, ill post the results later.@ nikosa, I use ps2 keyboard, not even a usb device.For the OS, I just install the os. Skip the serial question part and select do not activate online. You have 30 days to activate. Than I take ot the hdd put it othed system and clone the OS partition (I use acronis its super fast and has never failed me).Then I put the hdd back (I use 2,5 inch sdd and hdd and have a docking bay for it so i can fast swap OS) and start benching. If microsoft start whining about activation I just whipe the drive and put back the image with acronis (10 minutes)Also I have a version of unattend Win7 , this is a fast business installer for doing fast install including all updates . Ofcourse I have valid serials for it (just in case big brother is reading this :-P ) Henk, thanks for the answer. I am also using Acronis years now. It 's very fast, reliable and life savior. Do Max extreme has a Ps2 connector for keyboard and mouse? That's excellent for gaming also.

Henkenator68NL
06-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Henk, thanks for the answer. I am also using Acronis years now. It 's very fast, reliable and life savior. Do Max extreme has a Ps2 connector for keyboard and mouse? That's excellent for gaming also. Yes Niko, it does indeed come with ps2 ports. If am going for a new gaming keyboard, it will indeed be one with ps2 and mechanic keys ... I have used many different gaming mice. Most logitech gaming series, but they don't like it when I slap them around if my *ss it getting kicked during a gaming session O:-) But now I have the RAT9 mouse, I just love it. You can slide all different pieces in multiple directions. So it fits your hand perfectly, you have to be patient, but if you found the best setting... Its the best one I ever had and my hand gets less tired from long usage. For gaming it has an extra scroll button (nice for battlefield) and it has a precision aim button: if you play with high dpi, it is not easy if you scope and take a long distance shot. When pressing that button it slows down your dpi so you can do a nice kill from the otherside of the battlefield. :-) And it doesn't suffer from my battle stress :-P. It would have been superb if it had ps2 support... For benching I have a real old keyboard... I think from the cold war period lol, it must contain dossens off spilled coffee cups, and what not.. it still works fine. lol

flexnl
06-17-2013, 01:07 AM
Henk...do you also play real games ? like css haha :) id love to frag yr ass sometime :D

HiVizMan
06-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Henk...do you also play real games ? like css haha :) id love to frag yr ass sometime :D

Bro love taken to a whole new level. :D :D

Henkenator68NL
06-17-2013, 07:55 AM

Well I play quite a few games, CSS is one that I have never tried - played.
I do play:
Battlefield Bad Company
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty Black Ops 1 and 2
Grid 2
Saints Row

I see in your sign that you have played only 13 days ..... LOL

Highest in 1 game was for me Battlefield 2142; 900 hours ... I was at position 76 at a certain time. But I am not spending that manny hours on gaming anymore.

I like sniping a lot, in BF3 I have a kill over 1900 meters, most fun was a triple headshot (they where running behind eachother towards the front LOL) at 600 meters with sniper rifle.

Do you play other games?

Henkenator68NL
06-17-2013, 08:08 AM

Haha indeed !! :D

flexnl
06-18-2013, 05:38 PM

oeefff
that level i wil never reach haha

flexnl
06-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Well I play quite a few games, CSS is one that I have never tried - played.
I do play:
Battlefield Bad Company
Battlefield 3
Call of Duty Black Ops 1 and 2
Grid 2
Saints Row

Highest in 1 game was for me Battlefield 2142; 900 hours ... I was at position 76 at a certain time. But I am not spending that manny hours on gaming anymore.

I like sniping a lot, in BF3 I have a kill over 1900 meters, most fun was a triple headshot (they where running behind eachother towards the front LOL) at 600 meters with sniper rifle.

Do you play other games?

Henk all of those shooters i have played but i just cant seem to get rid off my cs addiction
its the godfather of shooters and most played all over the world
i usualy play the singleplayer mode of a new shooter and then come to the conclusion that cs still kicks more ass :P
in the past i have competed on clanbase in a team but thats soo time consuming if you want to do it right...
you should really try cs some time and come play on tmf gungame server and show your snipe skills with awm :)

nikosa43
06-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Hi guys, lots of work for me lately and no time for serious things :). Last night I made a 20 minutes run with prime at 4800, ambient temp 31 C, no airconditioning. I guess my Noctua is doing well.

Unfortunately I cannot upload image. Is there a problem with the site?

One more try

At last, it worked

flexnl
06-19-2013, 07:22 AM
you voltage is nice and low ...good temps with 31 ambient.. great job men
what ere your ram settings with that run?

HiVizMan
06-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Summer Sizzler thread will go up in the next few days.

I have the benchmarks all ready but if there is one bench you guys would most like to have included post up here.

Zka17
06-19-2013, 02:54 PM
How about ROG RealBench? :D

I know, we already have a League table, but that's more about the raw power/max scores... I'm thinking about an efficiency-like competition... - to have max frequencies fixed at some level, which for more people is easily achievable, then see what happens...

Oh, and some graphics benchmarks which has to have the CPU and memory score exactly the same as the RealBench...

HiVizMan
06-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Keep them coming or I will choose and I can be real evil if I want to.

flexnl
06-19-2013, 05:31 PM
pcmark 05 perhaps?
i ike it very much...lots to learn also

flexnl
06-19-2013, 05:41 PM

lol henk that 13 days is totall amount of time on that specific server wich i play on now for about 4 months :P
i play the gAAME from bacjk version 1.5 thats about 10 years ago haha 13days 11hours x 24= 333hours so i estimate my total cs hours on about hahaha 10000 :P

Zka17
06-19-2013, 05:43 PM
pcmark 05 perhaps?
i ike it very much...lots to learn also

Actually i never run PCMark05... so I also could learn about it too...
What about the FireStrike?

Chino
06-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (Intel XTU) :)

HiVizMan
06-19-2013, 06:50 PM
OK I get the picture.

I will post up the challange thread in the next day or so - that way you guys can start practising.

Now what kind of limitation should there be, eh? Upper limit for frequency maybe, or a cap of a sub test in the benchmark?

nikosa43
06-19-2013, 07:56 PM
Guys you can set anything you like. For me it's a whole new world, so anything you throw in, it will be great. I 'll have a disadvantage if it's very GPU dependent, but ...life sucks anyway. :D

nikosa43
06-19-2013, 08:02 PM
you voltage is nice and low ...good temps with 31 ambient.. great job men what ere your ram settings with that run? Thanks flex. Ram settings are default for G.Skills 2400, 10,12,12,31 1T, instead of 2T. Voltage 1.65 and 1.0 V for VCCIO and VCCSA. CPU PLL 1.74V.

flexnl
06-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks flex. Ram settings are default for G.Skills 2400, 10,12,12,31 1T, instead of 2T. Voltage 1.65 and 1.0 V for VCCIO and VCCSA. CPU PLL 1.74V.
okej very nice... i think the hole wather cooling thing is BIT OVER rated :P with some kickass aircooler and some dedication like you :) one can achief just as much... also @ gfx cards...i recently went l h2o on gfx and cpu but did not see very big difference in gpu performance ...only noise and looks are better.....or it might just be my loop build skills haha because if you look at what zka17 achieves with his h2o skills.. you start to think otherwise agAIN :)... MUCH MUCH To learn :):) love it haha

flexnl
06-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Actually i never run PCMark05... so I also could learn about it too...
What about the FireStrike?
you wil love pcmark 05
lots of OS ttweaking
i began lookin into pcm05 after the challenge and been intrigued (prlly not spelled right) by it very much...

XTU also nice

actualy i like m all haha

HiVizMan
06-19-2013, 09:25 PM
My plan is to have a GPU based benchmark, a CPU benchmark or two and maybe something old to play with.

flexnl
06-19-2013, 09:44 PM
yeahhh great man
05 beeing...old? :P
deffenitly firestrike is usefull i think becaUSEeveryone still has to learn about thaT one
xtu is pretty good also only the hwbot version has some errors i think becAUSE i have often the same result with totaly different settings...i think it has child desease (again dont mind the spelling plz )
anyway am happy anyway
gonna be lots of long bench night... love it :D

Henkenator68NL
06-19-2013, 11:31 PM
@Alex: I know you meant 13 days as in 13*24 hours... I was just kidding@HiVizMan:I would like the XTU in the summer shizzle (sizzle I know).Also It would be nice to put some balancing factor in the scores; if possible at all. Reason: it would give much more realistic options to compare scores from totally diffenrent systems/setups. I know that is hard to factor in all the variables, but it would be very nice it anyways.

nikosa43
06-19-2013, 11:48 PM
okej very nice... i think the hole wather cooling thing is BIT OVER rated :P with some kickass aircooler and some dedication like you :) one can achief just as much... also @ gfx cards...i recently went l h2o on gfx and cpu but did not see very big difference in gpu performance ...only noise and looks are better.....or it might just be my loop build skills haha because if you look at what zka17 achieves with his h2o skills.. you start to think otherwise agAIN :)... MUCH MUCH To learn :):) love it haha

Hmmm... About the over rated water cooling thing, I believe that all things come down to efficiency. Noctua's cooler, is a very well designed product and I believe that gets almost 100% of that technology's performance. Also even with fans to it's max rpm is almost silent. Unfortunately I can't see my mainboard which I love its design and looks and I have to be very carefull when I move the case. From the other hand you are right. Just because a product belongs to water cooling category, doesn't mean it's good also. Personally I do not like all these closed loops from various designers, into the 90 - 120 Euros price range. They offer an easy going solution for everyone, but I don't think quality, efficiency and noise level are in their highs. I would love to go for a water loop, but for sure it will cost me a lot more money than 100E, because quality pumps, blocks and radiators are not cheap staff. Also they need lots of personal skills and passion for the small details that make the difference.
For Zka, I guess I have to find time on my holidays to follow his thread about his explorations :).

HiVizMan
06-20-2013, 08:13 AM
It is my aim to find a benchmark mix that does not favour one CPU type more than another, one graphic vendor more than another. Frankly it is impossible but we will try.

Benchmarks are

3DMark - Fire Strike Extreme
3DMark06
ROG Realbench
????? The mystery benchmark

The restrictions will be posted closer to the time.

nikosa43
06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
It is my aim to find a benchmark mix that does not favour one CPU type more than another, one graphic vendor more than another. Frankly it is impossible but we will try.Benchmarks are3DMark - Fire Strike Extreme3DMark06 ROG Realbench????? The mystery benchmarkThe restrictions will be posted closer to the time.Thanks Vizman, for me anything would be fabuloso. If I am lucky from 8 of July I will start my holidays also. As for the mysterious ???? Benchmark, I already have drums in my ears. Drrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... Chsssss, and the winner benchmark is.... :D

flexnl
06-20-2013, 09:52 AM
It is my aim to find a benchmark mix that does not favour one CPU type more than another, one graphic vendor more than another. Frankly it is impossible but we will try.

Benchmarks are

3DMark - Fire Strike Extreme
3DMark06
ROG Realbench
????? The mystery benchmark

The restrictions will be posted closer to the time.

will have to buy 3dmark then...
hmmmz was planning on that antway :D
its on sale on steam :D

flexnl
06-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Hmmm... About the over rated water cooling thing, I believe that all things come down to efficiency. Noctua's cooler, is a very well designed product and I believe that gets almost 100% of that technology's performance. Also even with fans to it's max rpm is almost silent. Unfortunately I can't see my mainboard which I love its design and looks and I have to be very carefull when I move the case. From the other hand you are right. Just because a product belongs to water cooling category, doesn't mean it's good also. Personally I do not like all these closed loops from various designers, into the 90 - 120 Euros price range. They offer an easy going solution for everyone, but I don't think quality, efficiency and noise level are in their highs. I would love to go for a water loop, but for sure it will cost me a lot more money than 100E, because quality pumps, blocks and radiators are not cheap staff. Also they need lots of personal skills and passion for the small details that make the difference.
For Zka, I guess I have to find time on my holidays to follow his thread about his explorations :).

yeah i am still trying out also with h2o...
have custom loop for vga...butt i think my tubing is to slim (10 ID - 13 OD) and maybe my rad isnt the greatest also..
but the noctuas ive got on it are indeed very quiet ...love that brand and its worth the money if you ask me
gonna replace my h100 also, cause been having trouble with that damn thing from day 1 ! and those fans are LOUDDDD pffffffff...
but al those things come after....i got enough money for hasswell...
i dunno yet wich board is better the hero or the gene...anybody got some thaughts on that maybe?

and uhh did i mis something maybee?....rog realbench? were can i get that?

flexnl
06-20-2013, 10:08 AM
never mind about realbench ....Got it :D

HiVizMan
06-20-2013, 10:09 AM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?156-ROG-RealBench

Wondered why you were not playing.

Menthol
06-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Henk all of those shooters i have played but i just cant seem to get rid off my cs addiction
its the godfather of shooters and most played all over the world
i usualy play the singleplayer mode of a new shooter and then come to the conclusion that cs still kicks more ass :P
in the past i have competed on clanbase in a team but thats soo time consuming if you want to do it right...
you should really try cs some time and come play on tmf gungame server and show your snipe skills with awm :)
When I need to relax I play Wolfenstien Enemy Territory, it is dieing a slow death like me

flexnl
06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
http://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?156-ROG-RealBench

Wondered why you were not playing.

gonna put some hours into thisone for sure :)
also...makes me wanna go buy a new board those pictures jammmm hahaha

flexnl
06-20-2013, 01:42 PM
When I need to relax I play Wolfenstien Enemy Territory, it is dieing a slow death like me

lol menthol... arent we all? :D
i never played ...gonna check it out :)

Henkenator68NL
06-21-2013, 03:03 AM
When I need to relax I play Wolfenstien Enemy Territory, it is dieing a slow death like meAgent B.J. Blazkowicz ... ahhh .. that sure brings back some memories.

Henkenator68NL
06-21-2013, 06:54 AM
I noticed Flexje and Nikosa's discussion about the pros and cons of water cooling. I got my first water cooling set in 2005. At the moment I am using 2 different –custom- water loops. I have done quite a lot of research on this matter. I am gathering data to do elaborate reviews on the used water cooling components in my new set. In the near future I will either publish the reviews here at ROG or put links to review sites.

Some general information:
The setup determines the cooling capacity, which is greatly influenced by the radiators, the fans used and the general setup. The material of the cooling blocks and the pump used are also part of the end result.

There is quite a difference between a closed loop water cool set (like H100) and a custom loop and not just in price. Just compare this:
Products:-----------Dimensions:----------------Cooling Surface in m2 * :
H100 Radiator-------122mm x 275mm x 27mm-----------0.00230m2
Alphacool 240 Monsta-124mm x 279mm x 80mm-----------0.00077m2
Conclusion: The theoretical cooling surface is 2,98 times larger !
* Based on surface for 2 x120mm fans.
** There are more factors (like fins per inch) but I will not go into detail about that now.

Some theory:
Why water cool?
Water has the second highest chemical (after ammonia) capacity of transporting heat. Not long ago Nasa’s JPL published a research paper that the oceans of our planet absorb 80-90% of all global warming.

For example here is some data about heat capacity (I will not take you into the chemical details):
Substance-------- State (Phase)------- Temperature-------- Specific Heat capacity(mass)---- Volumetric Heat capacity
Air --------------Gas ------------------25C ------------------1.002 ---------------------0.00121
Aluminum--------Solid ------------------25C------------------0.897----------------------2.422
Ammonia---------Liquid-----------------25C------------------4.7------------------------ 3.2003
Copper-----------Solid------------------25 C------------------0.385----------------------3.45
Helium-----------Gas------------------------------------------5.1932
Water------------Liquid-----------------25C-------------------4.1813--------------------4.1796

As you can see the specific Heat Capacity of water is about 4 times that of air! The volumetric Heat capacity is even far greater.

So now we have the Chemic and Physics determined, let’s look at usage of air vs. water (or water with additive like anti-freeze) in cooling/heating:

Most modern cars use a water cooling solution to get rid of the engine heat
Most modern houses use water to transport heat (central heating system)
Huge amounts of Industrial plants use water cooling; either in a recirculating system or a single pass (once through) system. A good example are all Nuclear Power Plants.

So we can conclude that this is a wide spread method of cooling/heating.

About 2 years ago I did a review on the cooling water block that I mounted on my HD 6990 GPU. This GPU has a power usage of about 300 Watt under full load. You can imagine the heat it caused (and the noise level of the cooling fan was terrible). Here is a table comparing air vs. water cooling for my GPU. This water block was integrated in the custom waterloop already installed in the system case.

So the temperatures under full load dropped by 35% and the noise level by 19%

If you already have a custom water cooling system it is quite easy to upgrade it; provided that the pump etc. are in good shape. Adding a new radiator will enhance the cooling performance greatly. More cooling surface/radiators = better cooling performance.

I found that using 2 different loops for the GPU and the CPU do not have a big advantage over a single loop. The other easy upgrade is to invest in some good cooling fans, that are designed for usage on radiators. I use Noctua NF-F12 pwm fans. They have very good static pressure, even at lower fan speeds. So if you are OC-ing crank up the fans to their max. But if you are not, use the pwm to lower the fan speed; this greatly reduces the system noise level.

I hope this helps a little in deciding what direction to go!

HiVizMan
06-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Very good post Henk have repped you.

Henkenator68NL
06-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Very good post Henk have repped you.
Well :D
Thank you !!!

twisted1
06-21-2013, 03:10 PM
+rep Henk :)

Just getting my first "real" water cooling loop, pretty much decided on a EK-KIT, the H3O 360 HFX one with the XTX 360 rad.

My plan is of course to expand the loop with GPU's later on. Good choice? Seems like a solid kit and not expensive att all.

Henkenator68NL
06-21-2013, 05:27 PM
Thanks Twisted1!That is a nice kit. Did you check this out:http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p1158_Alphacool-NexXxoS-Cool-Answer-480-DDC-XT---Set.htmlThe radiator is not as thick as the EK one, but you can add another Radiator or GPU cool block for the same money. If have an Alphacool custom set and the other has some EK components. The both are the same quality, but Alphacool is def. cheaper.Check out also the aquatuning shop (have shops in most european countries).

twisted1
06-21-2013, 06:06 PM
A 480mm rad wont fit in the top of the case I'm afraid 420/360 rad no problem, but not bigger rad than that. It would easily fit in the front tho, with some modding.

For me the price diffrence is not that big at all, the EK kit is like 30 euros more than the alphacool kit. And the reason for that is that I'd have to get the alphacool kit from Aquatuning while I can get the Ek locally. Will look into that a bit more tho.

For the gpu's I need Matrix 7970 fullcovers, but wont get those right away(well I'm saying that now, once I get the loop set up it'll probably be e few weeks and everything will be under water :P)

nikosa43
06-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Well Henk, you blew me away :). That was amazing. Rep from me too. That shows dedication and passion to the things you do. From the discussion, I hope you understood that when I was talking about Noctua, I said it's a very well designed and efficient product for that kind of technology and if I go for watercooling it will be something different from the popular closed loops. Also let's not forget that we say air cooling but if you look closer, it's not pure aircooling. Heatpipes have liquid inside that are in a constant cycle of evaporation and back to liquid phase. That alone adds points to your writtings. Pure aircooling is only the old coolers with just copper or other alloys and just plain fins to help get rid of heat. Well done.

flexnl
06-21-2013, 08:31 PM
yeah henk ..good stuff :)...tnx
got f12 pwms to they are very quit love them
so if i understand you right if you had 2 loops h100 for vga and a custom on cpu
you would take out h100 buy a waterblok for cpu and put it in the custom loop with gfx card?..
or would that be not very wise?
and howmuch impact does tubing thickness have on temps mine is only 3/8 10mm ID

Henkenator68NL
06-21-2013, 11:17 PM
@flexje, if have done a lot of testing.

The tubing is doing absolutely nothing for the flowrate. And that is what is supposed to impact... Nothing in that direction is supporting the theory that large tubes get better flow.

It is like in any process: it is determined by the weakest link... This comes down to the following: in any loop the bottlenecks (if you will) are actually the cpu and GPU blocks. Mostly the cpu, since they put a lot of tiny channels in the block to transport as much heat from the cpu/gpu. So these small channels affect the flowrate; in a much larger scope than any tubing would compensate.

My advice stick to the tubing you have and save a lot of money in stead of buying new tubings and fittings. On top off that... once you have already some components/fittings in once and you buy another size... believe me at a certain pont of time you are going to make a.mistake and use the wrong part in the wrong setup (i have been there and you really dont want that)I my oppinion a must = compression fittings (the ones that have a nut on the tube side, that slides over the tube to the fitting.

An other example: last year I got a set of ram water coolers from Aquatuning (they where so kind to sponsor some of my projects). The results where actually asthonishing: I can ramp up my memory rated for 1333 Mhz up to 1850 MHz with cl7, all at stoch voltage. The down side - at least I feared at the beginning is that the ram waterblock use even smaller channels to transport the heat over such a small surface. My flowmeter (conected to a rpm transformer should A drop of 1500 rpm of the pump. But to my surprise.... this had no influence on the thermal capacity of al other components in this loop.

Here is a picture of my AMD system watercooling set; CPU water block, gpu waterblock and ram watercooled:

What happens is that as soon as you start the loop, water is flowing arround. Some places are hotter than the other, but after a few minutes it al balances out. And the temps dropp to very acceptable temps. I have not seen my 7970 over 45c even under heavy load and large oc.

I did a review on that, backup by a lot of data. In the case of adding a radiator or waterblock to the same loop=excisting loop; this is the best option. The fact is that the delta temp (the ambient) greatly affects the low end of your system temps, thats why the guys from colder counties do have a advantage.

But a simple solution: I just bought a second hand mobile airco.... For 75 euro.... Great improvement, I managed to drop the ambient by 9c !temp

twisted1
06-22-2013, 12:27 AM
@flexje, if have done a lot of testing. The tubing is doing absolutely nothing for the flowrate. And that is what is supposed to impact...Nothing in that direction is supporting the theory that large tubes get better flow.It is like in any process: it is determined by the weakest link... This comes down to the following: in any loop the bottlenecks (if you will) are actually the cpu and GPU blocks. Mostly the cpu, since they put a lot of tiny channels in the block to transport as much heat from the cpu/gpu. So these small channels affect the flowrate; in a much larger scope than any tubing would compensate.My advice stick to the tubing you have and save a lot of money in stead of buying new tubings and fittings. On top off that... once you have already some components/fittings in once and you buy another size... believe me at a certain pont of time you are going to make a.mistake and use the wrong part in the wrong setup (i have been there and you really dont want that)I my oppinion a must = compression fittings (the ones that have a nut on the tube side, that slides over the tube to the fitting.An other example: last year I got a set of ram water coolers from Aquatuning (they at so kind to sponsor some of my projects). The reaulfs where actually asthonishing: I can ramp up my memory rated for 1333 Mhz up to 1850 MHz with cl7, all at stoch voltage. The down side - at least I feared at the beginning is that the ram waterblock use even smaller channels to transport the heat over such a small surface. My flowmeter (conected to a rpm transformer should A drop of 1500 rpm of the pump. But to my surprise.... this had no influence on the thermal capacity of al other components in this loop. What happens is that as soon as yiu start the loop water is flowing arround, some places are hotter thsn the other, but after a few minutes it al balances out. And the temps dropp to very acceptable temps. I have nit seen my 7970 over 45c even under heavy load and large oc.I did a review on that, backup by a lot of data. In the case of adding a radiator or waterblock to the same loop=excisting loop; this is the best option. The fact is that the delta temp(the ambient) greatly affects the low end of your system temps, thats why the guys from colder counties do have a advantage. But a simple solution: I just bought a second hand mobile airco.... For 75 euro.... Great improvement, I managed to drop the ambient by 9c !temp

Water will do wonders form my 7970's, they can handle the clock's but in benchmarks they get hot pretty fast and start showing artefacts and then it crashes or gives bad scores.

Hehe I can't wait till next winter lol :P

flexnl
06-23-2013, 12:00 PM
tnxx henk very helpfull :)

Zka17
06-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Henk is very right regarding the tubing (too)! The flow rate will not be dependent on that...

If I may add some things...

If you have more blocks in a loop, higher will be the flow restriction. Most often, the most restrictive parts are the mobo blocks...

Depending on the particular loop, you have to be aware that not the highest flow is always the best... you have to find the balance between the heated (blocks) and cooling (rads) surfaces...

twisted1
06-23-2013, 01:18 PM
For now I'll be running a EK XTX 360 Rad, for cpu only. Starting out with EK's kit with the XTX 360 rad.

So it would be best to have one separate cpu loop, then. And one loop For the GPU's wich will probably be 2. I have a third 7970 but not a matrix but a DCU2 top, Anyways can run the DCU2 with A H100i orsomething cuz that will only be for benching.

I've ordered a new case with plenty of room no problem getting a thick 480 rad in there if I'd like that. And a 240. hmm case goes testbench :P

Gotta get another motherboard also, I have two M5E's but one of them is not fully functional due to me bending some pins in the socket ;/ The board works fine, except for one small thing. It will not run the RAM in Dual channel, and only 2 sticks on the slots farthest away from socket. Totally me screving up so I'm not RMA'in that one. Get good ol' code 55 if trying any other ram combo.

It's amazing really how good it works when you se the state of the socket :P Wish that you could replace the socket, cuz i really like these boards.

Is there any trick to replacing a socket pin that's broken off? IE missing from the socket but the base is still left in socket so it would be possible to get something in there. But what would you use to replace a socket pin with?

Henkenator68NL
06-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Gotta get another motherboard also, I have two M5E's but one of them is not fully functional due to me bending some pins in the socket ;/ The board works fine, except for one small thing. It will not run the RAM in Dual channel, and only 2 sticks on the slots farthest away from socket. Totally me screving up so I'm not RMA'in that one. Get good ol' code 55 if trying any other ram combo.

It's amazing really how good it works when you se the state of the socket :P Wish that you could replace the socket, cuz i really like these boards.

Is there any trick to replacing a socket pin that's broken off? IE missing from the socket but the base is still left in socket so it would be possible to get something in there. But what would you use to replace a socket pin with?

Twisted; there are lots off bench tests that run perfectly on only 1 ram stick (look at the score HiVizMan posted at Realbench with only 4GB), 1 stick means less strain on the IMC so you might get very thight timings ... So don't throw the board away :cool:

twisted1
06-26-2013, 04:31 AM
I'm not throwing it out, no way :)

You know it's wierd, my 2500k will boot just fine @5.5Ghz but when about half of the windows animation it crashes. Doesn't the OC apply until then or what? Because I have not been able to reach 5.5 in windows via turvoV. It booted @5,7Ghz also and that just seems abit to good to be true.

It's rock solid @5,3Ghz in benchmarks, just up Vcore and it goes 5,3 no problemo, so usually there's OC head room after that point. Although Sandy cpu's can have a limit where it's just dead stop if i remember correctly.

Except for that it boots fine @high OC like I described, either the OC applys when the windows anim is half done or I got a great 2500k(if i can get it stable lol)

Chino
06-26-2013, 04:53 AM
The overclock is applied the moment you save and exit BIOS. So when you get to the Windows loading screen, it's either unstable or your cooling solution cannot keep the heat under control. An old trick is to boot into Windows with lower clocks, say in your case 5.3GHz, then use TurboV.

Henkenator68NL
06-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Im not sure if you know this:
through msconfig set your system to start in diag mode; press apply, then go to tab: computer start and check start without user interface or gui (i am not sure since mine is in Dutch) hit apply. Go to: services tab; disable all services you don't need in the benchmark .

If you reboot your system then the strain at startup is al lot less than at full boot. It might just get you in to windows to do some bench tests.

twisted1
06-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Chino: The problem is that I can't get it much above 5,3Ghz in windows with turboV. It doesn't get to hot, ambient around 10 C and huge cooler with 3x3000rpm fans :D Aha, I can always use the OC Key, then I can see temps, voltages and so on. And I didn't even have to give it that much Vcore then I've used before, I have probably used higher then I needed to before. It sucks so bad when 3dm11 crashes just the last 2 sec before the last test is done, vcore fixes that sometimes :D

Damn, it boots with ease @5,7Ghz too. You sure this is not some bug? On M5E mobo of course :)

Sure Henk I know what that is, use it for benching sometimes. If that wont work I'm sure if i boot into linux it'll be rock stable :D