PDA

View Full Version : Probable Bad Ram

azif
08-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Ive had my g53sw-a1 for about 2 months now and Ive had issues with it from the get-go. Always crashing in games and several BSOD per week. A couple weeks ago I started writing down all the BSOD info to try and correlate the information. It is always the following BSOD:

MEMORY MANAGEMENT
CACHE MANAGER
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
BAD POOL HEADER

My friend suggested that is was probably bad ram and that I should run Memtest.
I ignored him for a couple weeks and just suffered through the continuous crashing, but tonight I had had enough. I downloaded the Memtest ISO, burned it to a disk and rebooted to run the test.

BAM. Your computer has a memory problem. Contact the manufacturer. Im so fed up with this thing; I'm at my whits end. I am not interested in doing an RMA on the entire laptop that could take weeks or months if i can just plop some 80 dollar ram into the thing. Is it a rough job to replace? Asus repair job only? The only time ive ever had a laptop open before, it ended poorly.

So damn sick of all the BSOD and game crashes.

azif
08-06-2011, 01:41 AM
well i have an RMA in, but the estimated time of repair and time in transit is pretty grim. Any recommendations on some nice RAM I can put in this thing? I have 6 gigs of ram now (4+2) but I'd rather but two identical sticks in for 8 gigs. Any comments are appreciated.

Chastity@ASUS
08-06-2011, 04:20 AM
You could check for a local ASP if you live in North America. This way it won't take weeks.

http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_NB_Warranty/NB_ANSP/index.html

I can understand your desire to get dual 4GB sticks and have Sync Dual Channel mode. Here are some options:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600000401&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

If you are going to replace the RAM, you have the option to upgrade the RAM speed. This page has links to both the 1600 and 1866 Kingston HyperX PnP memory for Sandybridge units. They're pricy compared to 1333 memory, but it will work. See the stickies for my 1866 review. You may find you'd be interested in the improved smoothness of gameplay the higher speeds offer.

azif
08-06-2011, 11:47 AM
thank you chastity i will give it a try