PDA

View Full Version : G46VW Not Recognizing Power Being Plugged In

SlyBlueFox
06-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Just recently my G46VW would take longer than normal to recognize that I had plugged up the laptop to external power. It started to be ~30 sec delay, & now as I am typing, it has been plugged in for an hour & has yet to recognize it. Assuming it is a software issue, the only things I have installed lately since it started are the nVidia 320.18 drivers & OpenOffice suite with C++ 2008. Anyone have a clue whats going on?

ggBanks
06-03-2013, 06:03 PM
My G55 was doing the same thing, but the delay was no longer than 20 sec. After reinstalling Windows everything was fine.

P.S. Before you do that though, you can try reinstalling just the power 4 gear utility and it might start working properly again.

Djask
06-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Hmm, strange, mine has never had that problem. Have you tried shutting down, unplugging the power, waiting a minute then plugging it back in and restarting the laptop?

SlyBlueFox
06-03-2013, 07:35 PM
My G55 was doing the same thing, but the delay was no longer than 20 sec. After reinstalling Windows everything was fine.

P.S. Before you do that though, you can try reinstalling just the power 4 gear utility and it might start working properly again.

I uninstalled & reinstalled the newest version of P4G for Win7. During installation, I get an error for 'gadget could not be installed' but the installation says it completed correctly. I can open P4G and modify settings, but still does not recognize power.

Hmm, strange, mine has never had that problem. Have you tried shutting down, unplugging the power, waiting a minute then plugging it back in and restarting the laptop?

I tried this but nothing happened. When the laptop is off & plugged in, the battery light indicator is orange & blinking; I think this means it's charging? Correct me if I'm wrong. When the laptop is on, the battery light indicator stays off. As far as I can tell at this point, it is a hit or miss if the external power is recognized when the laptop is on.

ggBanks
06-03-2013, 10:03 PM
If you are using Win 8 thats why it gave you the error, because Win 8 does not have gadgets and the Win 7 version of P4G comes with a gadget. I think the light indicator for the battery should not be blinking in any circumstances. I've never seen the battery indicator blink on any laptop. Blinking occurs only on the power on indicator and that is only when the laptop is sleeping. Maybe there is something wrong with the charging of your laptop or something and the blinking is some servicing beacon that shows that there is something wrong. I advise you to make a Live USB of Ubuntu and just boot it up from an external flash drive. Then see how it behaves and if it gives you the same error then it's from the hardware of the computer and you will need to send it for repair. Otherwise maybe it can be solved with simple reinstalation of Windows.

Pitcher@asus
06-04-2013, 02:30 AM
i suggest you send back to service center to check, because you just receive recently.

SlyBlueFox
06-04-2013, 12:48 PM
If you are using Win 8 thats why it gave you the error, because Win 8 does not have gadgets and the Win 7 version of P4G comes with a gadget. I think the light indicator for the battery should not be blinking in any circumstances. I've never seen the battery indicator blink on any laptop. Blinking occurs only on the power on indicator and that is only when the laptop is sleeping. Maybe there is something wrong with the charging of your laptop or something and the blinking is some servicing beacon that shows that there is something wrong. I advise you to make a Live USB of Ubuntu and just boot it up from an external flash drive. Then see how it behaves and if it gives you the same error then it's from the hardware of the computer and you will need to send it for repair. Otherwise maybe it can be solved with simple reinstalation of Windows.

I was installing on Win7 & the program is the Win7 version. The only one provided for the G46 is the Win8 version so I had to find the P4G for Win7 through the ASUS site to install it.

I have since found out that the light will blink only when I turn the laptop off, while the screen is still up, & it's plugged in. As soon as I close the screen, the light will become solid; this is showing me that it is in fact charging.

I tried the Live USB of Ubuntu & the issue was never encountered. Plugging/unplugging of power cord behaved correctly; I did it numerous times & behavior was normal.

I am guessing a reinstall of Win7 is the current solution :(

Djask
06-06-2013, 01:43 AM
The battery indicator blinking is probably not a good sign, but that might be the case for Windows 7. I don't know.

SlyBlueFox
06-06-2013, 01:38 PM
The battery indicator blinking is probably not a good sign, but that might be the case for Windows 7. I don't know.

It seems to only blink occasionally when the laptop is off. I decided to install Ubuntu alongside Win7; now it seems both randomly will recognize power is connected. In Win7 when I get it to recognize power, I can shut it down, remove power, plug it back in, start up the OS, & it "remembers" power was connected when it last shut down so it stays connected. I have no clue what is going on. Could this possibly be a BIOS issue? I do have the newest BIOS installed if that matters; I believe it is 210.

ggBanks
06-07-2013, 01:41 PM
I do not recommend BIOS upgrading! I've had my laptop RMAed 2 times over that sh*t. Try with reinstall, if it doesn't work, then send it to service.

SlyBlueFox
06-08-2013, 04:25 AM
I do not recommend BIOS upgrading! I've had my laptop RMAed 2 times over that sh*t. Try with reinstall, if it doesn't work, then send it to service.

In that case, would you recommend downgrading back to 207? Is there a way to restore the original BIOS that the system was shipped with without me downloading 207 and using the utility to downgrade?

ggBanks
06-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Yes there is a way to downgrade, but you have to download 207 and use WinFlash to downgrade it. It is done normally like you would upgrade your BIOS, but you have to run the command line version of WinFlash and use some commands to disable the date checking that would normally not allow you to install older version of the BIOS over the current one.

SlyBlueFox
06-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Would you recommend doing that or leaving it at 210? I have seen this before in the forum about doing a BIOS downgrade. Only reason I have upgraded BIOS is due to some changes; for example, I believe 209 fixed an issue with the fan running more than it should.

ggBanks
06-09-2013, 08:37 AM
If it is working fine, just leave it as it is. Try reinstalling first and if that doesn't fix it, just send it to service. Even if its a BIOS issue they will handle it.

SlyBlueFox
06-21-2013, 01:29 PM
Getting the same issue still with it not being recognized. I plug/unplug it a few times & usually I can get it to start charging eventually. I got curious with another charger (for an ASUS K60IJ; same size male end I believe), plugged it in, & instantly the machine begins to charge. Took it out & plugged it in again & begins to charge immediately again. Now I think there is something wrong with my charger?? Or is it still a hardware issue?? (I reverted to Win8 so it is not a software issue as far as I can tell).

ggBanks
06-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Try your charger from the G46 on the k60IJ if the K60 doesn't start to charge immediately it is from the charger.
Or it might be from the power jack of the laptop. If it has widened from the inside the charger might not make good contact, and maybe the K60 charger is just slightly thicker that makes the contact. I am not saying its this, but it can be one possible scenario.

SlyBlueFox
06-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Using G46 charger in the K60 works fine. What would you suggest doing?

Shawnnepc
06-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Using G46 charger in the K60 works fine. What would you suggest doing?

I just sent you an email with some instructions regarding your issue.

MeMyth
07-06-2013, 02:01 PM
hello guys,
i just bought my G46,then i just realized that the battery cannot be take out from the laptop body?am i right?so i just concern about my battery life time,is it ok if i just plug in the charger cable in purpose i want to play my game using the AC power not the battery power..This is because if i using the battery power i just can play the game for 4hours something.But if I keep plug in the charger cable using AC power,my battery indicator show "Fully charged 100%",im worried if it will harm my battery.Please advise.=D

Gumwars
07-06-2013, 02:40 PM
hello guys,
i just bought my G46,then i just realized that the battery cannot be take out from the laptop body?am i right?so i just concern about my battery life time,is it ok if i just plug in the charger cable in purpose i want to play my game using the AC power not the battery power..This is because if i using the battery power i just can play the game for 4hours something.But if I keep plug in the charger cable using AC power,my battery indicator show "Fully charged 100%",im worried if it will harm my battery.Please advise.=D

Lithium ion batteries don't develop memory like the older ones did. As a matter of fact, you won't get the same performance out of your laptop when gaming if you don't plug in. Batteries have a maximum safe discharge rate which is fine for movies and surfing but not so good for BF3. Things that will damage your battery is time (it is a consumable, after all), heat and completely discharging it. If you want to get the most out of it, leave it plugged in when gaming and charge it when you've run down to 30%.

zeromod
07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Does it recognize it WITHOUT the battery? My wifes battery took a **** a few months in (The AC Adapter was DOA) take the battery out and plug it in see if it powers on. Also with the battery out, hold power for a few seconds to discharge any buildup. If it works, the battery is the issue as power still moves through it when using AC. If not, then it may be the adapater or the something else.

rhk217
07-07-2013, 04:39 AM
I do not suppose its a problem with the battery indicator on the OS right? Like it is not just that it fails to show on screen but it still gets charged while plugged in?

Also I noticed that you had a best buy stock G46, So did you install the SSD yourself? Did the problem start occuring after you installed the SSD? Then its possible some wiring went loose when you reassembled it.