PDA

View Full Version : Sandybridge Throttle Issue and Workaround

Chastity@ASUS
08-06-2011, 03:35 AM
When the system is under load, especially when the GPU and CPU max out, like say, when you are gaming, the BIOS/Chipset has a safety feature that will throttle down the system to prevent damage. Unfortunately I feel that the protection is triggered too easily, and many people will have a performance loss while playing their favorite games.

This will require a BIOS fix, but until then, there is a great workaround provided by Unclewebb. It's called ThrottleStop, and version 3 was updated to support Sandybridge systems. The culprit is the Bidirectional PROCHOT function, which handles this throttle feature. What you want to do is disable it, and it only needs to be configured once every boot-up, until a BIOS update exists. Also config it to Start Minimized if you are going to have it start at Windows boot.

Go ahead and download the current build, and install it. When you got it running, click on options. You want to enable the BD PROCHOT control here.

Then you can untick BD PROCHOT on the main screen and then Save it. This way whenever you start up TS, it will autodisable the setting. Then just throw a shortcut of TS into your StartUp folder, and you'll be good to go. Once it's set, yo can minimize it, or close the application. The setting will stick until your next reboot.

G74 Guru
08-06-2011, 11:52 AM
dont forget everyone, you can go into the Throttlestop CFG file and add the line "ExitTime=1" so on startup it loads the program and closes it immediately. saw you forgot to add that in your post Chastity :)

dkillone
08-06-2011, 04:15 PM
It probably would have been easier to just sticky my post, it explains the problem much better/in more detail. Though, with G74 still having the issue, guess I should edit in for that model as well. Other companies such as Dell, HP and Sager do NOT having sandybridge throttling problems.

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it

Edit: Also, as a side note, they do not need to go into the options and tick the Unlock BD. By default, the BD PROCHOT is already unticked upon first run. Not to mention, as Unclewebb stated:

"Intel does not document MSR 0x1FC bit[0] but that's the bit that ThrottleStop toggles on and off to solve this problem.

BD PROCHOT stands for Bi-Directional Processor Hot. This allows other items to signal the CPU to tell it that the CPU is hot and that it should throttle even when it isn't. It might be the GPU or the power regulator when it gets too hot or starts putting out too much power that signals the CPU to throttle and conserve power and cool down the overall system temperature.

A better idea would be for manufacturers to start designing adequate cooling solutions with a power supply beefy enough to power the CPU and GPU at their rated speed. This would let a user buy a gaming laptop and actually be able to play a modern off the shelf game like GTA4 without it trying to throttle to a crawl."

So, technically it shouldn't be even triggered at all in the first place, no matter what. Especially since the G73/53 and G74 can easily handle the loads temperature wise due to having 2 individual fans for CPU/GPU, and an overall good cooling design. In which, this whole being triggered thing isn't even becuase of temperatures, it's definitely something to do with power draw, NOT high temps.

Chastity@ASUS
08-07-2011, 03:04 AM
thx for the updates, both of you. :)

andressergio
08-15-2011, 03:14 AM
Hi guys

is this intended just for mobile chips ?

i cant find B. PROCHOT on the MIVE but i opened TStop and its unticked by default...

Chastity@ASUS
08-16-2011, 03:08 AM
It works for desktop chips, but I don't believe they have this issue.

Boosted_R
08-28-2011, 07:35 AM
wont let me enable the BD PROCHOT, any ideas ? or is it just me

Running Bios 202, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

thanks

alfmoonspace
08-29-2011, 01:24 AM
Can't enable it as well

Selenarious
09-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Is this a problem for the G53SW too?

Frostedflames
09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Just got my g53sw-a1 followed the instructions in this thread doesn't seem to do anything in any source engine game it will run at 200 fps then flicker and drop to 20-30 fps constantly. any ideas? throttle stop 3.00 bdprochot is unchecked and saved Of course the majority of the the time I will be using it plugged in but just wondering if there is anything

Chastity@ASUS
09-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Is this a problem for the G53SW too?

If you have a Sandybridge, it's an issue

xeromist
09-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Just got my g53sw-a1 followed the instructions in this thread doesn't seem to do anything in any source engine game it will run at 200 fps then flicker and drop to 20-30 fps constantly. any ideas? throttle stop 3.00 bdprochot is unchecked and saved Of course the majority of the the time I will be using it unplugged but just wondering if there is anything

That's something else and my guess would be drivers. I've had problems with Logitech drivers and source games a few years back and also with graphics drivers so I would just make sure that all of your drivers are as updated as possible.

stillon80s
09-24-2011, 11:59 PM
I got a g74sx-xt1. I updated the bios and drivers from asus site. I downloaded the throttlestop and installed as directed. When I start some of the stress test, the cpu goes to 2.6mhz and a few second later drops to 2.3mhz and stays there no matter what. I noticed also that i cannot check or uncheck bd prochot. Was the issue fixed with the 202 bios?

JRd1st
09-25-2011, 12:42 AM
I got a g74sx-xt1. I updated the bios and drivers from asus site. I downloaded the throttlestop and installed as directed. When I start some of the stress test, the cpu goes to 2.6mhz and a few second later drops to 2.3mhz and stays there no matter what. I noticed also that i cannot check or uncheck bd prochot. Was the issue fixed with the 202 bios?

You have to "unlock bidirectional prochot" first before you can select "bd prochot".

Good luck, man!

Chastity@ASUS
09-25-2011, 11:48 PM
You have to "unlock bidirectional prochot" first before you can select "bd prochot".

Good luck, man!

It's in the Options menu

szarawata
10-01-2011, 02:18 PM
To make it clear, I want to have BD PROCHOT disabled in the main menu and Unlock BD PROCHOT enabled in options menu yes? ;)

Icemanforlife
10-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Any idea when they will fix this problem with a bios update? Also is there any risk in me doing this? I don't want to fry my new laptop or my wife who knows nothing about computers , but at times will use my laptop.

Truels2
10-04-2011, 10:41 PM
So i have the newest edition of throttle stop 3.5 and inside my options "unlock bidirectional PROCHOT" is already checked off and on the main menu BD PROCHOT is not checked off. IS this how it should be or am i misunderstanding you guys? ALso after doing this do you select "Turn ON" and then close then just minimize it or what?

Ramanos
10-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Are there any other known solutions for this? I have had this problem for some time, and this doesn't seem to do anything to fix it.

midihooker
10-17-2011, 03:35 AM
wont let me enable the BD PROCHOT, any ideas ? or is it just me

Running Bios 202, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

thanks

have to enable it in option..

omega939
10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Does this bios 203 for asus g74-sx fixed the throttling issue?

Chastity@ASUS
10-17-2011, 07:19 PM
I haven't tested that yet

Icemanforlife
10-19-2011, 05:09 AM
Chastity should i download the throttlestop you linked or should i download the latest version? If so is there any difference?

Torsten
10-19-2011, 07:46 PM
I've tried it on several versions including the 4.00 beta, and it seems to work just the same as 3.00.

Chastity@ASUS
10-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Get whichever is current on author's site

Icemanforlife
10-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Do you have a link to the site i should use? I see lots that have the throttlestop DL. Should i use this link?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/ThrottleStop.shtml

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 12:36 AM
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

Icemanforlife
10-20-2011, 12:37 AM
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

Thank you for the link and response

Icemanforlife
10-20-2011, 12:40 AM
Will it void my warranty using throttlestop?

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 12:45 AM
I don't think so. Chastity works for Asus and she advises people to use it.

But you're just using to stop throtteling, right?

Icemanforlife
10-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah i am only going to use it for what chastity suggested in this thread. Does Power4Gear Hybrid do the same thing?

JRd1st
10-20-2011, 12:54 AM
No, P4G is for power config management. It also allows you to change power profiles with the ROG key.

Rufufu
10-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Is this throttle stop manipulation usefull on a non sandybrige CPU (i7-740QM)???

BoxKiD
11-22-2011, 01:19 AM
are they ever going to fix this?

tirezege
11-22-2011, 01:45 PM
are they ever going to fix this?

That's the question in my head too..

I bought my g74sx 1 week ago, I updated my ATK, GPU, wi-fi drivers and the chipset INF files as well. My g74sx is a 3D model but the ROG button doesn't switch between 3D/2D but switches between the power modes. So I need to update my bios to 203. But if ASUS will fix this issue with a bios update, then I don't want to flash my bios 2 times and just wait for them to release it. But will it ever happen?

Also, do I need to do anything else to get full performance from my g74sx. I love the machine and would really like it to reach it's potential. I already uninstalled ASUS webstorage, that game center thing and ASUS vibe. Do I need to get rid of anything else? Advices via PM would be appreciated as here is not the right place:)

Waiting for the update and your advices, thanks!

JRd1st
11-22-2011, 05:24 PM
There is already a fix for that (3d switch). Search the forums because I don't remember what the fix was.

fountainhead
11-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Out of curiosity, how can you tell if this issue is affecting your system? Do your games run normally at first and then suddenly get hit with lag or something?

dkillone
11-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Basically, it doesnt effect every game and apps. It only happens if the game is stressing most of the cpu and gpu at the same time. I wish my thread about throttling would have just been stickied vs this one as this thread seems to just confused people. The link in my sig details the problem and should help you understand it better.

JRd1st
11-23-2011, 01:37 AM
You mean this thread - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and-how-to-fix-it

dkillone
11-23-2011, 02:48 AM
Or maybe not, thanks to diriklet, I have found a way to edit the bios myself. And it was very very simple, meaning one simple option that can be configured in the BIOS(after edited) and now no more throttling. I've already tested for a short while, but still would like to do more testing.

However, I will release the edited BIOS soon, so others don't have to edit themselves. It also has a nice bonus of AES(used for encryption) as well.

JRd1st
11-23-2011, 02:59 AM
So the setttings are there but the BIOS blocks them from being shown. Hmmmm. How about the G74bios? :D

dkillone
11-23-2011, 03:13 AM
I'm not sure, but I will open up the G74 bios and check here in a bit. I'm sure it will be same thing, however I won't be able to test since I don't have G74. If you would like to be the first runner up, just PM and I'll explain further what I'm doing and send you the edited G74 bios if I find the option in there.

EDIT: K, yeah, its there, I'm going thru the other BIOSes as well, just will need testers for those. However, I'm sure it will work, so far I've flashed it to my G73 3 times testing different things, and its been super smooth. Of course, I still want 110% stable before I post it up publicly.

BoxKiD
11-26-2011, 02:50 AM
So your custom bios has fixed it? , I'm a newb to all this I haven't flash a bios before...

WhirledNews
12-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Dues Ex Human Revolution is lagging in the cut scenes, even with throttlestop BHPRHot or whatever running... WTF why doesn't ASUS fix this terrible problem, it's a gaming rig that can't run games.

Animoski
12-04-2011, 06:32 AM
So... Been having problems recently with my brand spanking new G74SX KBB8... Runs Crysis 2 maxed out without hiccups, while running a 2001 game called C&C Renegade has a constant 60 fps with hiccups every now and then... What gives?? I've tried running the whole SandyBridge throttle thing..

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Try running the game in WinXP compatibility mode.

Animoski
12-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Try running the game in WinXP compatibility mode.

Haven't thought of that! Gave you +rep for the constant help you're providing me!

JRd1st
12-04-2011, 06:13 PM
:D No problem, thanks!

Cat
12-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm not sure, but I will open up the G74 bios and check here in a bit. I'm sure it will be same thing, however I won't be able to test since I don't have G74. If you would like to be the first runner up, just PM and I'll explain further what I'm doing and send you the edited G74 bios if I find the option in there.

EDIT: K, yeah, its there, I'm going thru the other BIOSes as well, just will need testers for those. However, I'm sure it will work, so far I've flashed it to my G73 3 times testing different things, and its been super smooth. Of course, I still want 110% stable before I post it up publicly.

If you can mod the G74 bios so that the num lock button is actually a num lock button rather than a calculator button I will name my firstborn after your pet rock.

Animoski
12-04-2011, 08:46 PM
:D No problem, thanks!

Yeah.. It doesn't work.. ://
I wonder if this only occurs on single-threaded games because it's been happening to me on CoD2 as well.. >.>

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Did you update your WiFi card driver? Look at this - http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

Animoski
12-05-2011, 12:52 AM
I have the Intel WiFi card, and when I try to even install those drivers, doesn't work. =/

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Read the second paragraph in that post :/

Animoski
12-05-2011, 01:13 AM
I did and nothing seems to pertain to a built in Intel WiFi?

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 01:27 AM
Right. It says ...AND if you have an Atheros Wifi card....

So why did you even try? :D

Animoski
12-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Oh, lol.... I was thinking maybe you were assuming I didn't read the whole thing, and I tried it just for the hell of it.

Any other ideas? I'm a big gamer and although i'm getting uber FPS on old games, that 20ms freeze on FPS just bugs me out

JRd1st
12-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Download DPC Latency Checker from this post http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s

If you see red peaks that means you have a driver latency problem someplace. Read that site's page for how to troubleshoot it.

tirezege
12-08-2011, 09:16 AM
I am really wondering, if they are actually working on this. Does anyone have any piece of information from inside? What are they doing, how is it going, do they need anything, a glass of cold water?:P Maybe we need that.

I'm losing my hope on this, not because it took quite much time, I can wait as long as they set a deadline! But just because there is no voice from ASUS here, they are all in deep silence, JRd1st and BrodyBoy and some others I may have forgot to mention helps here just like an ASUS represantative should do! I think g74sx is a great laptop, but they should just provide the damn support we need!

To cut it short, anyone knows what's going on in there, ASUS?

Sorry that I had written it to the keyboard issues topic, which was already solved:D I thought it was this topic, anyway, you guys know if ASUS is working on this throttle issue?

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 12:41 PM
I am really wondering, if they are actually working on this. Does anyone have any piece of information from inside? What are they doing, how is it going, do they need anything, a glass of cold water?:P Maybe we need that.

I'm losing my hope on this, not because it took quite much time, I can wait as long as they set a deadline! But just because there is no voice from ASUS here, they are all in deep silence, JRd1st and BrodyBoy and some others I may have forgot to mention helps here just like an ASUS represantative should do! I think g74sx is a great laptop, but they should just provide the damn support we need!

To cut it short, anyone knows what's going on in there, ASUS?

Sorry that I had written it to the keyboard issues topic, which was already solved:D I thought it was this topic, anyway, you guys know if ASUS is working on this throttle issue?

I wonder the same things, too. Plus I want a BIOS with settings that will allow memory settings like a REAL performance notebook should have. Plus a numlock key that can be OFF, too. And CPU clocking settings, etc .....

And Thank You for the promotion. lol Psssst... don't forget Drew (dstrakle)

xeromist
12-08-2011, 05:55 PM
there is no voice from ASUS here

That's because this is a community forum. It is a medium for us (enthusiasts) to communicate with each other. Any attention we get from ASUS is purely bonus because no ASUS employee is assigned to support here. There are a few that log on from time to time and do what they can but that is after all their other work is done. I hate to keep harping on this because I know that the alternatives suck but I also don't want people endlessly waiting for someone from ASUS and getting more frustrated because they don't understand the purpose of this forum.

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Moast of us DO understand the purpose of this forum, that's why we have a few guys here racking up posts helping other users. What we DON'T understand is why asus ignores the users needs, from NEVER updating the drivers listed on the support pages (please don't ask if there are "bad"drivers on the support pages because the resounding answer is YES), to not giving us timely BIOS updates to answer our concerns and correct their blunders.

What do you think happens because of Asus's neglect? WE have to give the exact same advice over and over; telling people to update their Atheros driver from Asus FTP, or telling them where to get the guide to disassembling their Sentelic touchpads because Asus used foil tape to provide a ground and didn't take into account the insulating properties of the adhesive.

So we all get frustrated when we hear nothing from Asus besides advertisements for laptop bags. If they can use the forum for that, then can use it to inform us, too.

-JR

dstrakele
12-08-2011, 06:32 PM
+1 JR!

ASUS is dropping the ball by not participating in (and paying attention to the information provided by) this forum. Successful companies do their best to establish a direct connection to their customers.

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 06:44 PM
You're so right. I wonder why they don't use this forum that way. Instead they do the opposite.

I think thet are afraid to go on record about anything for fear it may be evidence.

xeromist
12-08-2011, 06:56 PM
I completely understand. I wish that there was a Support section of the forum where people could post and engage in interactive discussion with ASUS reps. Endemic and ongoing issues could have periodic status updates and documented fixes/workarounds. Think Corsair RAM Guy. It would certainly keep the other sections more about the products and enthusiast pursuits rather than troubleshooting.

But since that's not what we have it doesn't make much sense for new people who may not know better to keep waiting for an official response that probably won't come. That's all I'm saying. Do new people a favor and help them set appropriate expectations.

JRd1st
12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
We don't need for Asus to help us, we do fine on our own. We need Asus to listen to us and acknowledge that they heard. Gary Key used to do that at one time, but I suppose he was told to be unavailable, too.

fishrule
12-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Running Intel Burntest and Furmark at the same time seems to induce throttling to 2.2ghz on my Asus G74SX-BBK8 with an Intel i7 2670m.

dkillone
12-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Technically that's not throttling, it just means turbo is no longer kicking in. Since you have 2670qm, your default multi is 22x. So the kind of throttling we are talking about here is it dropping below the default. This happens intermittently, so it goes down for a few seconds then back up in games(GTA4, SC2, L4D2, TF2, but not all games does this happen). Sometimes not even fully dropping to 798mhz(8x), I've seen it at 1496mhz(15x), 997mhz(10x), etc.

Were you using RealTemp 3.67 (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4730702/gseries/RealTempBeta_v367.zip) or better when checking to see the speeds your cpu is running at? In any event though, you not seeing it drop below default multi could be a good sign asus finally fixed it, also what bios do you have?(203 is the latest for G74)

Edit: Wait, were you using the Intel CPU widget(Turbo Boost Monitor) when checking the frequency?

fishrule
12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I am running BIOS 202, I normally don't flash to the latest BIOS unless I have very good reasons to. I do not use the Intel widget, I use Realtemp 3.67, Argus Monitor, OCCT, and CPU-Z if I ever feel like double (or triple) checking my numbers.

I guess throttling was technically the inaccurate word, but I find Intel Turboboost on this laptop surprisingly conservative about when it wants to kick in. I'm at work and forgot to take a screenshot of my laptops results after I did my rounds, but I am positive I didn't ever see it go below the 22x multi during the burn test.

fishrule
12-09-2011, 05:23 PM
As a side note does OCCT induce throttling in the G73?

dkillone
12-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Ahah, fair enough. I guess that is a good sign then, though weird the bios is 202. I was kind of expecting for you to have at least the latest or even 204(doesn't exist yet, but that would at least be a simple explanation as to why your not seeing throttling). But no biggie, all 203 really addresses is the numlock thing. Yeah, I forgot that the widget doesn't really do a good job at representing real-time cpu clocks(mainly for when its below the default clock), so I sorry, had to ask.

That does seem a bit conservative of a turbo, but at least it's not dropping below default. I wonder if they did something when they stuck in the new 2670qm's.

I PMed you about doing this, but this is just for others, it's a easy method for checking whether BD-PROCHOT is enabled or not without running throttlestop.

Dowload MSR Tool (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4730702/gseries/MSR%20Tool.zip)(it's straight from my dropbox) and then type in 0x1fc into the MSR Number box. Click, Read MSR, then look at the second row of numbers under EAX. If BD PROCHOT is enabled, it will be 0x0004005F, the key part here is the F, it will have an E at the end instead if BD PROCHOT is disabled.

dkillone
12-09-2011, 05:42 PM
As a side note does OCCT induce throttling in the G73?

Indeed it does, ran cpu test + furmark and within 1-2 seconds it drops to 798.2mhz and stays there.

MPerni
12-09-2011, 09:19 PM
I also have the 2670QM version + 202 bios, and the other day was checking the numers with CPU-Z, while i was doing some renders with premiere, i saw that it drops to 798. I try with the ThrottleStop, but nothing happend. Also something that i saw is that max core speed goes to 2.8 mhz, when its supposed to get up to 3.1

dkillone
12-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Basically it's only supposed to hit 3.1ghz when running 1 thread, and drops as more threads are run. So that could be why.

fishrule
12-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I can't seem to induce throttling under heavy load, no idea why. I will leave OCCT running overnight and post the CPU graph tomorrow.

neenja
12-11-2011, 09:38 PM
good info here

Criton
12-15-2011, 05:38 PM
I have ASUS G53SX-S1143V (Intel Cougar Point HM65, Intel Sandy Bridge) , can I use this "Sandybridge Throttle Issue and Workaround" ?

Lannigan
12-28-2011, 06:57 AM
Ok, enough is enough, Asus please learn to program bioses and research what customer service means.... Anyone who wants to disable BD-PROCHOT at the bios level it is very easy to do yourself. Firstly you will need AMIBCP version 4.5. Using this program open whatever version of bios you wish to use on your particular computer (ie most recent for you particular sandybridge gXX). Under the Setup Configuration tab, expand the folder, expand advanced, expand thermal configuration, click on Cpu Thermal Configuration. Where you see Bi-directional PROCHOT# change the failsafe value and optimal value to disabled (double click the value to change it). After changing them save the file, and flash it via the method of yout choice, i used Easy Flash in the bios with a fat32 usb drive. Boot into windows and use dkillone's method of verifying that BD-PROCHOT is disabled.....nice isnt it. Sad that asus charged us this much for a computer and cant take 30 seconds to do this for us!! I need a job Asus, more then willing to fix your fubars!

Alfonsus
12-28-2011, 01:21 PM
It Works! THANKS Lannigan...

WhirledNews
12-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Wow nice, I will wait for a few more people to post before I try it though. :D

Lannigan
12-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Credit should go to dkillone, he had done this before I had, I just didnt find his post till after I posted last night. Anyone have any idea on how Optimus outputs when using iGFX ie is there a different vbios for the geforce? Lets just say I can enable optimus but it wont output (computer boots, gets into windows, just no output). Optimus is definately there as windows installs drivers and changes monitor settings, but I had to reflash bios blind and havent been ballsy enough to try it again.

Lannigan
12-28-2011, 09:21 PM
I should also let you guys know that I did improve on what was stated in the first post I made. You can do what I posted there, or you can enable the thermal configuration menu in the bios (ie you can go into bios and turn this on or off, and some other choices as well) . To do this useing the same tool AMIBCP 4.5, open your choice of bios file for your computer. Under setup configuration click on advanced. Find the column that starts with Thermal Configuration. Double click the Access/Use parameter and change it from Default to USER. Expand the Advanced Folder and Click on the Thermal Configuration Folder. The second line down labelled thermal configuration change the Access/Use parameter to User as well. Save this file and flash it, go into your bios and go under the advanced menu, you will notice you can now go into the thermal config and enable BD-PROCHOT or disable it as you wish. You can also enable other hidden bios menus such as CPU configuration and Power & Performance by following the same steps as above for the respective menu. I am sorry if I am terrible at explaining stuff, hands on person here always been terrible at communication!

Alfonsus
12-29-2011, 12:09 PM
Wow.....more interesting Lannigan! It works once again...THANKS MAN...

omega939
12-29-2011, 02:30 PM
I cant seem to find in google the Amibcp 4.50 download website. It always directs me to a dead link..... I've got an asus G74-SX bbk7 with bios 203.... Would someone help me by sending the link of amibcp or the modified version of asus g74-sx bios 203 with a fix throttle issue in it? thanks a lot

Alfonsus
12-29-2011, 03:32 PM
here's http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R13O0LF8

Alfonsus
12-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Hey Lannigan...is it safe and doable to unlock memory configuration under chipset folder/menu ?

omega939
12-29-2011, 04:11 PM
I did it!!! btw just disable the BD Prochot in bios? What other menus to disable in the Thermal Configuartion? Thanks lannnigan...

In addition to this. I would like to find out on how to show the menus in memory config ? cos we ROG owners want to tweak a bit the memory timings or even do 4 slots of ram in sync @ 1600mhz or 1866mhz speeds.

What other options to click to show the memory configuration in bios?

Under System Agent (SA). what will happen if you change the "access value " of "Default' to "USER" of Graphics Configuration?

many thanks again lannigan

wanfeilwong
12-29-2011, 05:07 PM
For memory configuration, I did see a section for it in AMIBCP 4.5 at:
Setup Configuration>Chipset>Memory Configuration
On the right table there is 'Memory Frequency' parameter that is the 6th line from the bottom. It looks like you can set ram frequency there

Lannigan
12-29-2011, 06:01 PM
As far as memory goes, I have not tried anything myself. The issue with unhiding the Chipset menu for me has been that it is not a sub menu, but a main menu. Bein that the chipset menu doesnt show in the original bios, this is different then unlocking sub menus under an existing main menu. That being said I have tried to unlock the Chipset menu from my limited knowledge (I havent given up yet) but thus far I have had no luck. That being said......I can verify that if you change settings under the chipset category using AMIBCP and then save the file and flash it, the settings do take......I have thus far been attempting to enable Optimus as I really dont game much with this computer but wanted the ability to do so. I just figured out how to extract the vBios from the main bios on the n53 and am now looking at wether or not this is the way I want to try it or if I am going to try to change the defaults in the bios from checking the vbios to an actual setting. I am able to enable switchable graphics, but the issue it upon the flash and reboot the computer when using SG is supposed to look to the vbios to initialize the display. Being that ASUS didnt design the notebook with Optimus (stupid stupid stupid) they dont include vbios in our bios that works correctly, even though both computers appear to more or less share the same motherboard and from what I can tell we dont have optimus do to software not hardware limitations. I can verify that it boots with SG enabled it just never activates a display internal or external. It probably wont ever work, but it was attempting this that I figured the rest of it out so it was worth it anyway. If someone knows of another HM65 based maching from another manufacturer that is also using an ami APTIO bios that has the chipset category available stock, I am sure that I could get it unlocked for you. And to anyone haveing flash issues or needs to try to blindflash....I have found Aflash2.exe to be the WORST piece of garbage ever made for flashing bioses. I thought I had bricked my g53 beyond my ability to repair when I enabled SG in my first experiment, after 6 hours of disassembly, removing HD etc, and trying to flash using Aflash2, I finally got ahold of AFUDOS wich is the AMI tool to flash the AMI aptio bios (available on their site) and 15 minutes later in a move that would have required no removal of HD I had it blind flashed and the screen back to working. I really think Asus has a great product here but they need to seriously step up their customer support and service if they want to keep us as customers.

omega939
12-29-2011, 11:01 PM
Bein that the chipset menu doesnt show in the original bios, this is different then unlocking sub menus under an existing main menu

I tried it last night and it didnt work. You're right about this...

In regards with GPU, do you have any idea on how to change the volt settings of the gpu? thanks Lannigan

Dttell
12-30-2011, 04:00 PM
After just entering windows and running CPU-Z, it says that I am running at 798.3mhz, with a multiplier of 8. Is this normal? I have an i7 2670QM. I am trying to figure out if I am being throttled when doing nothing. I am running a clean install of Win 7 after a reformat.

Lannigan
12-30-2011, 06:36 PM
This is normal operation regardless of how you have your BD-Prochot setup, mine does it. Launch a game something like Linx and it will throttle up like it should and if you are using either my bios mod or throttlestop it shouldnt throttle back down while doing "work" (mine never goes below 2.5 ever. You guys have noticed that you can change the settings for how the fans work right? Not only can you change the temperatures that they come on, but you can also change the percentage of fanspeed at the temperature threshold. It works on mine....:cool:

WhirledNews
12-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Sweet! I just did this and it worked great!

I got a bit worried there for a second when it popped up with the ole "Boot MGR Misssing" bit, but I just booted from the Windows ISO repaired and restarted, then used MSR tool to confirm... it's an E!

Thanks everyone, I never expected to have to go in and tinker with the actual BIOS file and then flash my laptop with something that I messed with, but it was pretty easy.

Spiritus777
01-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Hey Lannigan, I followed your guide on modding the bios and it worked perfectly. I unlocked some additional options under Thermal Configuration and I noticed that there's a DPPM Configuration and the default value for it is "Disabled." Apparently it's for enabling/disabling Intel's Dynamic Power Performance Management. Do you know why it's disabled by default (e.g. it's not supported by the laptop). Should I enable it?

Thanks.

ASUS G53SW-XN1

JRd1st
01-01-2012, 03:41 PM
I wonder how long before we start seeing modded G74SX BIOS's all over the place? lol

This eamibcp.zip phenomena proves that it wouldn't be hard for Asus to give us a full-fledged BIOS if they had the will to do so.

I suddenly feel the urge to start pestering the "customer care" people for a few BIOS updates. How about you?

PILGRIM
01-01-2012, 04:23 PM
...I suddenly feel the urge to start pestering the "customer care" people for a few BIOS updates. How about you?

That wouldn't be a bad New Year's Resolution to start with..

kompleet
01-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Very interesting tool, under LCD parameter, color depth was set to 18bits, I changed that to 24bits, but nothing changed, I still have this weird color banding on dark shades. (grid smoothing with older Nvidia drivers and scanline smoothing with latest Nvidia)

tirezege
01-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Isn't this just TOO annoying? Mustn't be too hard to release a damn bios update to fix whatever the damn issues this laptop has!

I'm annoyed, seriously, what are we waiting for..

thesting
01-02-2012, 09:47 PM
OK, I just did CPU+GPU stress tests:

With PROCHOT it throttles the CPU down to 798mhz after like 5 minutes and an avg temperature around +60 deg C,
whereas without the heat protection bit it doesnt throttle at all but stays at a temperature of 75-78 deg C.

So is it safe to turn the protection off? I imagine in summer the system temp will be even hotter.

Btw thanks for the easy BIOS modding, I just made the volume changeable in BIOS (haven't changed it tho) :P
We should ask ASUS to unhide the chipset section main menu in BIOS instead of asking them about the PROCHOT hehe.

Lannigan
01-02-2012, 10:17 PM
As far as the safety of this goes....It is no different then using throttlestop to disable BD-Prochot. It is actually possible to change the thermal profile to change the behavior of the bi-directional controls (ie the temp that it starts the throttling at). I am currently in the process of RMA'ing my laptop due to the faulty magnetic lid sensor. It wouldnt turn on out of the box (really asus you still wont recall whats on the shelf?) but as many are probably aware by swiping a magnet around the trackpad area you can reset the switch and get the machine to boot. Works well but mine is getting worse and worse and takes more and more "playing" with a magnet to get it to start everytime. Unfortunately without a machine to test things on I wont be giving you and updates or suggestions as I will not do this without first testing myself. I also do believe if you guys want that RAID should be possible as well from what I have seen during my research (I have compared our asus bios to almost every HM65 ami aptio bios out there).

thesting
01-03-2012, 01:28 AM
You said you can change the behavior of the bi-directional controls.
Well I see that you can change the Passive Trip Point (default 95 deg !) under the "Platform Thermal Config" (PROCHOT is in "CPU Thermal Config")....
Like I said when I ran a stress test the system throttled after 5 minutes at about 78 deg which is way under 95 deg, so the Passive Trip Point setting can't be responsible for that throttling, right?
It's rumoured that it's connected with the level of power consumption, so is the G74 and its power supply strong enough or is the throttling triggered for a good reason after all?
I don't really know about the dangers, does anyone? :)
On this Dell forum they say:
ThrottleStop, brought to you by Unclewebb (developer of RealTemp) has been designed to combat the throttle "feature" Dell has implemented into the design of the XPS 1645 i7's BIOS. You WILL need a 130watt Dell branded adapter unless you understand how to limit your CPU through Throttlestop to keep it from blowing up your 90watt adapter (seriously).

Other:
You used the lid magnet to boot the machine not just to turn on the screen?

(sorry for all the editing)

zsld0423
01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks a ton for that info Lannigan! I'm going to be getting my G74SX-RH71 later today once I get it from UPS, and this bios fix will be one of the 1st things I do once I make my recovery discs :D Already have a SSD that I ordered installed with W8 dev preview and on my g60JX it boots up extremely fast, so I can't wait to get it in the g74 and get some games pumping out at max fps

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Just be aware the Recovery Disks, or ANY Recovery method you can implement, will not allow you to recover from a bad BIOS update. You'll need to RMA your laptop to ASUS to recover from a bad BIOS.

zsld0423
01-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Just be aware the Recovery Disks, or ANY Recovery method you can implement, will not allow you to recover from a bad BIOS update. You'll need to RMA your laptop to ASUS to recover from a bad BIOS.

Oh yeah of course, I know, but just from reading through the forums, most of the problems people have with the G74 is because of bad/old drivers the computer came with, so I wanted recovery discs before I wipe the drive and start fresh =P I'll start with the standard 203 bios update on ASUS's site and check to see what the throttling is like on my computer, but aside from changing the necessary things to turn off the throttling via the bios I haven't changed anything else with the editor

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
That's good, @zsld0423. My purpose in posting the warning was that new users could interpret your post as that flashing a BIOS which they've edited is no problem and they can always use the Recovery DVD's if they run into trouble. I wouldn't want anyone to think that.

I also wanted to emphasize that restoring to an earlier time with Windows System Restore, restoring an earlier System Image from Backup and Restore, or even a working Acronis partition image will not allow you to recover from a bad BIOS. I want people to be aware they are working without a safety net where the only recovery will be provided from an ASUS RMA.

EDIT: I removed the last sentence of this post because I do not want to encourage anyone to flash a modified BIOS.

zsld0423
01-03-2012, 04:13 PM
That's good, @zsld0423. My purpose in posting the warning was that new users could interpret your post as that flashing a BIOS which they've edited is no problem. They can always use the Recovery DVD's if they run into trouble.

I also wanted to emphasize that restoring to an earlier time with Windows System Restore, restoring an earlier System Image from Backup and Restore, or even a working Acronis partition image will not allow you to recover from a bad BIOS. I want people to be aware they are working without a safety net where the only recovery will be provided from an ASUS RMA. If they are comfortable with that - have at it!

Right, I should have mentioned that in my post. New users need to be aware that messing up the BIOS means you cannot recover it except for sending the laptop in. I've never edited a BIOS update myself before, but the instructions were very easy to go through and make changes myself. But everything else I'm completely comfortable with.

Edit: Also noticed in your signature that you're running your G74SX-A1 with the 202 BIOS. Any reason why you didn't go to 203? Or just everything running smoothly on 202 so no reason to upgrade it since it seems like it only fixes the 3D hotkey problem?

Edit again: Ah I see now, looks like the 203 update puts the NumLock at a constant "On", if that may be the reason? I may stay on 202 then since that happens after flashing the 203 update, since i'm not using the 3D model anyways that fix won't affect me

dstrakele
01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
I made the decision to update my G74SX-A1 BIOS to possibly resolve a missing keystrokes issue. BIOS 203 had just been released, and though I realized it also contained all of the changes in 202, I didn't feel there was time for 203 feedback to be posted if it did cause problems. Since 203 wasn't offering anything of additional interest to me on my particular system, I decided to update to BIOS version 202.

BIOS 202 is where locking NumLock in the active state was first implemented. It was locked OFF in BIOS 201. As you posted, it is also locked ON in BIOS 203.

zsld0423
01-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I made the decision to update my G74SX-A1 BIOS to possibly resolve a missing keystrokes issue. BIOS 203 had just been released, and though I realized it also contained all of the changes in 202, I didn't feel there was time for 203 feedback to be posted if it did cause problems. Since 203 wasn't offering anything of additional interest to me on my particular system, I decided to update to BIOS version 202.

BIOS 202 is where locking NumLock in the active state was first implemented. It was locked OFF in BIOS 201. As you posted, it is also locked ON in BIOS 203.

Ah okay, then either 202 or 203 won't matter then since the NumLock "On" status will be affected. I always keep my NumLock on anyways, so it won't be any problem for me now that I think about it. I just downloaded and edited the 202 BIOS file to show the additional CPU config area and allow me to disable the BD-PROCHOT from within there. Now I play the waiting game with UPS :D

WhirledNews
01-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Haha, it looks like Chastity has the time to post on the notebookreview.com forums but not on here, which is odd...

"Hi Lannigan,

I know that people get eager when new things become available, but I feel that some points need to be addressed:

1) I would prefer that we NOT encourage people to mod their BIOS themselves. The settings that Asus use are based on recommendations from Intel. The BD-PROCHOT was implemented for a reason. I would prefer we tweak the settings when the TCC trips rather than disable the thermal protection all-together.

I would also prefer having a beta BIOS released from us rather than hundreds of self-modded ones. This way we can maintain a measure of Quality Control.

2) You cannot enable Optimus successfully. In order to have it work, all the output from the NVIDIA GPU needs to pass-thru the Optimus video path. On our mobos, the Optimus video path is bypassed, and the NVIDIA GPU feeds directly out. Ergo, the black screen when Optimus is enabled.

Also, with the low idle clocks, you will not gain much from Optimus.

3) I've forwarded a request to the R&D teams to evaluate having the temp menu exposed in future BIOS releases for Sandy-based gaming machines.

As stated earlier, I'd rather get a mod BIOS out for the masses than rather having them mod it themselves. Murphy is inevitable, and can cause people to have to pay for fixes, since self-modding the BIOS is an instant warranty void.

Case: 1609604"
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/635264-bios-cpu-throttling-fix.html

I particularly like this quote:
"I would also prefer having a beta BIOS released from us rather than hundreds of self-modded ones. This way we can maintain a measure of Quality Control."

Yeah... so would we, but guess what, we havent heard anything from ASUS in a very long time so it seems like you don't give a sh!t.

Lannigan
01-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Wow, just wow. First off look I already proved that I could enable the intel onboard video, so the whole "its bypassed" is a load of crap. Putting that aside as Asus isnt the only one blowing smoke on this. Throttlestop....This has been an issue for the entire time the Sandybridge Asus laptops have been out, and yet the only fix that was offered was to run a program in the background. Assuming that a bios level fix was the only way to fix this issue, and that programming a new bios would be a difficult and time consuming procedure at best, we went along with it. I have proved that not only is it very simple and quick to implement the "fix" that Chastity has been backing (throttlestop to disable BD-Prochot) but further all of the options needed to fix this in the bios are already there and just disabled. I believe this proves just HOW BAD asus's customer support has gotten. I will say talking to their tech support on the phone was quite possible one of the worst and most laughable experiences I have had to date. I hope that the controversy that I have started will finally make them pull their head out of their @ss and stand behind what they are selling. We should not have to run third party applications or even worse, program our own bioses just to be able to use the hardware that we have paid for. Asus makes a nice computer at a nice pricepoint, but at the cost of some of the worst support I have ever come across. The issues that have plagued the G series laptops, and murdered peoples belief in the brand of Asus is a tragedy at best. Continuing blindly to produce new models that include all of the failures of the old and then blatently ignoring your customer base is down right criminal in my opinion. I hope regardless of opinions about me or what I may have caused that we will at least finally see official releases of Bioses that fix one of the very well known issues on this machine. Further I hope this will lead to Asus actually paying attention to these forums. I urge each and every one of you to not let this issue lie until they acknowledge it and fix it correctly. I am in complete agreement that one should not be modifying their own bios, but what choice have you guys given us?

Side note: What I am talking about with the magnetic lid switch is this: Those of you with "power button issues", what I have determined is this, THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE POWER SWITCHES. If you ever start haveing issues where you have to press the switch more then once IE, press it 50 times to get the machine to power up, rubbing a magnet to reset the lid close switch actually "unlocks" the power button! I recieved my g53sw as many had DEAD ON ARRIVAL, the power button WOULD NOT power the machine on no matter how long it had been plugged in. I knew about this going in, and had read long and hard before purchasing this machine, there is a video on youtube talking about using the magnet to get the machine to power on. The jist of it is this: Asus is using a switch that is either faulty out of the box, or goes faulty with time (probably too powerful of magnet) what happens is the machine thinks the lid is closed when it is not, thus overiding the power button. This is a KNOWN issue and they are still shipping machines out that are defective, further and more disturbing it appears that upon RMA'ing for this issue that it is not permanetly fixed but rather it is fixed for a while until the switch once again starts malfunctioning. This either means that they dont care about use enough to do the simple thing and find a new supplier that can make this part correctly, or even after all the problems they have had with this issue, are to dumb to figure it out. I urge people that have issues to look for this video and try it and report back (we should start a new post) as I have never seen a report that leads me to believe the power on issue is anything but this!

Oh and you guys should also know that you cannot recover from a bad flash on an Asus ami aptio EFI machine at least partly because Asus has either: not given us the information on how to initiate the recovery mode, or has accidently or on purpose not enabled this mode. All ami aptio based machines have this ability, it is part of the core bios that the manufacturer then "customizes" to their wants and needs. I for one would like a response as to the procedure or why Asus disabled it. We all love our laptops, but its time that Asus either steps up their support or we look elsewhere for our next purchases.

JRd1st
01-04-2012, 11:58 AM
"Wow ..." is right!

kompleet
01-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Thank you Lannigan, really. This is really insane from a comany like Asus. A bios fix that took 5 seconds to make, and NO there are no risk at doing that unless you are a complete moron who don't understand **** at computers.

I'm also pissed off by Asus with their driver update. Their FTP is down for 4 days now, and on the official support page, none of the drivers have been updated, that is really crazy, as this would take maybe 10mn to update their support page.

And las but not least, I'm very satisfied with my G74sx (non 3d), the gpu is perfect, it's a solid computer with very good specs, but common, I would have paid 100 or 200 euros more to get a decent screen (I don't care about "3d"), and not a 6 bits Chimei crap with poor viewving angle and a blueish tone.

xeromist
01-04-2012, 11:57 PM
none of the drivers have been updated, that is really crazy, as this would take maybe 10mn to update their support page.

While I agree that regular driver updates should be made, it is not a 10min process. A proper update requires all drivers to be tested with all other drivers first. That means all model variants with different hardware and, if you want to be thorough, against multiple driver revisions since customers may update one driver and not another. To properly test the compatibility of every OEM driver release for every product ASUS makes would be a full time job.

If ASUS released a driver on their page and it crashed when installed with another driver they had previously released people would scream bloody murder. Yet those same people want all of the latest drivers re-published by ASUS as soon as the component manufacturer releases them. I don't think ASUS could ever win here, although as I mentioned more effort would be nice.

So yeah, for many products the drivers are woefully out of date on the support page, but ASUS supports OEM drivers so just get them directly from Nvidia, AMD, etc.

kompleet
01-05-2012, 12:27 AM
While I agree that regular driver updates should be made, it is not a 10min process. A proper update requires all drivers to be tested with all other drivers first. That means all model variants with different hardware and, if you want to be thorough, against multiple driver revisions since customers may update one driver and not another. To properly test the compatibility of every OEM driver release for every product ASUS makes would be a full time job.

If ASUS released a driver on their page and it crashed when installed with another driver they had previously released people would scream bloody murder. Yet those same people want all of the latest drivers re-published by ASUS as soon as the component manufacturer releases them. I don't think ASUS could ever win here, although as I mentioned more effort would be nice.

So yeah, for many products the drivers are woefully out of date on the support page, but ASUS supports OEM drivers so just get them directly from Nvidia, AMD, etc.

Sorry, that's not what I meant, I know you don't create a new driver within 10mn, lol !

No what I meant, was that on the asus FTP there were a lot of updated drivers, especially GPU drivers far more recent .
So the 10mn process was about editing their support page ;)

Stian234
01-26-2012, 09:55 AM
I cant get my Asus G53sx to stop throttle.

Current prosessor is intel core i7 2670qm sandy bridge

The problem is that the throttlestop program wont work. It throttles even if i have the program running.
I have tried to find the bios settings for to turn this off, but it seems like the bios settings for this pc is very limited? can someone verify i cant do it with the bios as a temporary resulution?

Best regards
Stian H. Jensen

dstrakele
01-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I recommend you post screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop configured. Then others that are using it successfully to control CPU Throttling can offer comments.

pabvr81
01-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know if BIOS version 209 solves the throttling issue?

rozwell911
01-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Does anyone know if BIOS version 209 solves the throttling issue?

Bios 209 i believe is only for the G53's, and no i do not believe it solves the issue.

Stian234
01-26-2012, 07:15 PM
I recommend you post screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop configured. Then others that are using it successfully to control CPU Throttling can offer comments.

Thx for good adivce! for some reason i wasnt able to upload two of my jpg pictures. So i have uploaded them to this site.

http://bildr.no/view/1089487
http://bildr.no/view/1089490

Any commets are welcome =)

Edit: i can confirm that Bios version 209 does not solve the problem.

dstrakele
01-26-2012, 08:50 PM
From what I see, it looks like you have ThrottleStop 4.0 configured correctly to eliminate CPU Throttling. Hopefully other folks can offer suggestions to help you out.

Stian234
01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
thank you very much for your time :)

I hope so to:( Because we dont know long it will take befor a fix comes up. Or if it will be fixed at all :O

rozwell911
01-26-2012, 10:03 PM
From what I see, it looks like you have ThrottleStop 4.0 configured correctly to eliminate CPU Throttling. Hopefully other folks can offer suggestions to help you out.

Maybe i am wrong here, but on the throttle Stop threads, it says to run it in "Monitoring Mode" . Thats what i do and TS 4.0 runs perfectly for me for stoping throttling,just open the app, close it and im good..no issues, no problems...i didnt touch much if any of the settings.

I also noticed in the pics above he has TS turned on, not in "Monitoring Mode."...Logicly this should have no bearing on it working properly, but maybe that is the problem?!? I apologize, i am just through out suggestions as for what has worked for me, as i am not 100% familary with TS other options.

dkillone
01-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Thx for good adivce! for some reason i wasnt able to upload two of my jpg pictures. So i have uploaded them to this site.

http://bildr.no/view/1089487
http://bildr.no/view/1089490

Any commets are welcome =)

Edit: i can confirm that Bios version 209 does not solve the problem.

Second picture, BD PROCHOT is supposed to be Unchecked, so that is probably why you are seeing throttling. And of course, you don't need to hit the "Turn ON" button for it to work. Other than that, everything else is fine.

Stian234
01-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Second picture, BD PROCHOT is supposed to be Unchecked, so that is probably why you are seeing throttling. And of course, you don't need to hit the "Turn ON" button for it to work. Other than that, everything else is fine.

Thank you alot for replaying :)

Ive turned of BD PROCHOT and i still see the throttling :( Ive also tried to run the program stock settings without any luck :(
So the turn on button doesnt matter ?

Hopfully im doing somehting worng, because else there wont be a fix for me :(

Thx alot for the help so far!

Best regards
Stian H. Jensen

Edit :

I can confirm this fixed the throttling problem for me:

The guide is from our forum member Lannigan ! Read carefully!

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/635264-bios-cpu-throttling-fix.html

THX!

Swifty76
01-31-2012, 09:27 PM
When saving a DXdiag report to the desktop and scrolling allll the way to the bottom I noticed it says forced throttling. Checking and unchecking the BD PROCT with or without restart doesn't change that. I also didn't notice any difference in FPS when enabling or disabling the throttling, that is with all the options at max with V-sync, AA, and AF max. I would be interested in getting AMIBCP so I can tweak my bios, but have no idea where to get the 64-bit version.

ColonelS
02-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Just a heads up for all~

The R&D team are duplicating this throttling issue now and are taking a serious note into this. ( please do give them some time, i know is like errr 13pages and nearly 1 year but i really pushhhhh all e way and probe them into checking this matter.. u know i love you guys~ )

As for the driver issue in the web I have already also brought it up.

Best Regards
Sawn

P.S Meanwhile anyone still experiencing any forums posting issues? like double post or quotes?

JRd1st
02-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow, thanks!

PILGRIM
02-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Just a heads up for all~

The R&D team are duplicating this throttling issue now and are taking a serious note into this. ( please do give them some time, i know is like errr 13pages and nearly 1 year but i really pushhhhh all e way and probe them into checking this matter.. u know i love you guys~ )

Best Regards
Sawn

P.S Meanwhile anyone still experiencing any forums posting issues? like double post or quotes?

Nope. Posting is back to normal now.

Thanks, also, for your "pushing" the R&D Team for this..

I take your word for it..
So, I'll be chalking up the days on my calendar, until the BIOS fix for all G-Series is released.

..but if it takes longer than the first 3 months of 2012 for it to be released.. Goodbye, ASUS.

ColonelS
02-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Nope. Posting is back to normal now.

Thanks, also, for your "pushing" the R&D Team for this..

I take your word for it..
So, I'll be chalking up the days on my calendar, until the BIOS fix for all G-Series is released.

..but if it takes longer than the first 3 months of 2012 for it to be released.. Goodbye, ASUS.

mark my words~~~ :D

Astrum
02-02-2012, 02:00 PM
Just a heads up for all~

Best Regards
Sawn

Thanks, ColoneIS! I have two G74SXs that I RMA'd today due to the screen flickering at dark colors/low brightness and the keyboard issues. If I can get these fixed, and Asus releases a BIOS to fix the throttling issue, I'll have two perfect laptops. :)

Swifty76
02-02-2012, 07:58 PM
So I took a look at a guide on notebookreview by Lannigan (Thanks a ton for the guide by the way Lannigan, MAJOR props) and decided to take the BIOS Flashing approach. I opened BIOS build 203 for the G74SX and made the said changes from the guide, but also giving people the option to access their CPU Configuration, Power & Performance, and ICC Overclocking Library from the BIOS Menu. Seems stable so far after stress tests and a little bit of gaming and boots seem a little bit quicker. Now I don't believe that the G74SX is using the same BIOS as the G73 or 53SW but I have posted a link below so anyone willing to can flash my the modded BIOS.

Disclaimer: YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I am not liable for any damage that may happen to your computer by flashing this BIOS file.

1. Download the Windows BIOS Flashing Utility from Asus HERE (http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G74SX/#download) under the BIOS Utilities tab.

2. Download the modded BIOS file from Here (http://www.comc.cc/Rob/bios.html)

3. Open Install then open up the Winflash utility in your Start>ASUS Utility folder and hit Ok when the warning opens.

4. You will be prompted to locate the bios file you just downloaded, find the .203 file and hit Open.

5. The BIOS flash utility should open and give you information regarding your Current BIOS Rom and the BIOS image you just opened. Review the details if you want but otherwise hit Flash at the bottom.

6. It should only take roughly a minute to flash the new BIOS.

7. Hit Exit to restart.

You shouldn't really have any problems as I didn't. But a BIOS can be fairly picky sometimes. Press F2 at boot to get into the menu and browse around to take a look at the options. If you don't know what an option is then its best to leave it.

Invincible
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Hello everybody
Just one week ago i Bought Asus G74sx, i found it best buy for 1600$,
And if talk about temp and throttling, first thing that i noticed it's Horrible voltage management during load of CPU
1.24V on 2800 Mhz ??! it's unacceptable huge value for such modest frequency, this is the one of the main reason that interferes cpu run with more lower temperatures that it can
My desktop Core i5 2400@3800Mhz is perfectly run on 1.10V without any energ.sav. features, when it's default V. was 1.24 too
And i win 10-12C under load on stock CS
I have experience to drop down voltages on penryn cpu's from 1.2V to 1.07-0.95V and it's give impressive drop's of temperatures anв prevents throttling
But now I can't find the software that correctly works with Core I CPU VID's
Maybe someone knows the way to set defined voltages on our SB CPU?

rozwell911
02-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Just a tid bit of info to share with everyone:

I have been running ThrottleStop 4.0 successfully since i got my PC almost 2 weeks ago.

I followed the forums instructions to the T about using TS in monitoring mode and it has worked....up until today.

My TS is set up in Task Scheduler to auto start when i log in. It does, in monitoring mode...But as of today i noticed that while playing any game the MHz nver went above 1200, and dropped to 789 frequently.

So i did some playing around with TS and this is what i found...

1) I have to turn on TS (Button on bottom right) and it instantly pulled MHz above 1200 consistantly, but it stil was not using the CPU full sespeed (2800 MHz)

2) I have to put the Set Multiplier to 28 in order to use the CPU's full speed while gaming. I tested this while paying BF3 in windowed mode
with TS running on the side, and it jumped up to the high 2700's while playing.

Now this may not be the right way to test, for which i am sorry if its not, but it leads me to believe that something is up or has changed? or maybe i screwed something up.

My G74sx came with bios 202, i have not updated it at all. I updated all the drivers with the exception of the wifi card...and it was working after driver updates almost 2 weeks ago...no changes since.

Any thoughts?

Invincible
02-04-2012, 02:47 PM
My TS is set up in Task Scheduler to auto start when i log in. It does, in monitoring mode...But as of today i noticed that while playing any game the MHz nver went above 1200, and dropped to 789 frequently.

Make sure that you are in High Perfomance mode. or it set correctly according to it;s purpose

fuzon1337
02-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Just a heads up for all~

Best Regards
Sawn

When do you think the fix for the throttling issue will be released? :)

mother.wizzer
03-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Wow, just wow. First off look I already proved that I could enable the intel onboard video, so the whole "its bypassed" is a load of crap.

Hi Lannigan,

Can you give more details regarding intel integrated graphics ?
On my side, I have a G53SX with last BIOS (209). Using AMIBCP I can manage to find interesting options :

/Chipset/System Agent (SA) Configuration/Graphics Configuration :

- Primary Display : auto or IGFX or PEG or PCI or SG
- Internal Graphics : auto or enabled or disabled

I am not really confident with tweaking those options but if you succeeded to unlock the sandybridge integrated graphics I would really like to know what are your settings ?

Thanks for all your insights!

(by the way you can disable HyperThreading, it's crap too =)

Horizon
04-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Still at 798.2

Hello i have a G74SX-BBk7 and i installed and turned on throttlebot 4.0 and it still shows me at 798.2 and now my computer seems to be running even slower am i doing something wrong?

Here is more info

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.111118-2330)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: G74Sx
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/23/11 16:59:53 Ver: 04.06.03
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8170MB RAM
Page File: 2555MB used, 13781MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

dataDave
04-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Still at 798.2

Hello i have a G74SX-BBk7 and i installed and turned on throttlebot 4.0 and it still shows me at 798.2 and now my computer seems to be running even slower am i doing something wrong?

Here is more info

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.111118-2330)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
System Model: G74Sx
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/23/11 16:59:53 Ver: 04.06.03
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8170MB RAM
Page File: 2555MB used, 13781MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Print-screen your ThrottleStop window and let us look.

-----

Here is AMIBCP 4.53 for anyone needing an updated link, had trouble finding it today: http://www.sendspace.com/file/owfsdf

imbloodyskintagain
04-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Here is AMIBCP 4.53 for anyone needing an updated link, had trouble finding it today: http://www.sendspace.com/file/owfsdf

THANKYOU SO MUCH, Been looking for this on google for days and only got lots of dead or BS links.

dataDave
04-15-2012, 01:55 AM
No problem.

Has anyone had any luck getting a full bank of 1600mhz running at full speed using the options in the BIOS mod?

cehucehu
04-19-2012, 01:04 PM
does the bios version v209 fix this throttle issue ???

BrodyBoy
04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
THANKYOU SO MUCH, Been looking for this on google for days and only got lots of dead or BS links.
It's a really handy tool for looking at your BIOS, seeing the defaults and options, etc. But be VERY CAREFUL about making any changes to a BIOS and actually trying to flash it. G-series BIOSes have no back-up, and no emergency repair option....one wrong move or setting and you can easily brick it, with no option to revert back. (And since modding the BIOS instantly voids your warranty, no coverage when you send it in for repair.)

Sandrock7383
04-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah can anyone please let us know if Bios 209 has resolved this issue? i want to change it, but i dont wanna go through the potential hazards of bricking my system if it does nothing for the throttling issue.

thanks!

mylasthope
04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah can anyone please let us know if Bios 209 has resolved this issue? i want to change it, but i dont wanna go through the potential hazards of bricking my system if it does nothing for the throttling issue.

thanks!

Ditto. I'd love to know if this problem has been resolved yet.

I'd rather not risk having to RMA my laptop again since I'd be extremely sad since my Transformer Prime is already being RMA'd.

TeckTime
10-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Brody,

I'm just now getting around to using throttle stop, what is the latest version to get?

DaemonXR
12-08-2012, 11:02 AM
I didnt been aware of this problem till become member here. I noticed some starnge stuttering in cpu intensive games. Now when i know this issues thanx to you guys, i wonder:

WHEN ASUS PLAN TO OFFICIALLY MAKE STATEMENT ABOUT THIS!

renzpwns
12-22-2012, 04:15 AM
Anyone know if the newest ThrottleStop safe for a G53SX(Best Buy) with the BIOS it came with it(205) and the latest driver for the 560m(310.70)

Batsika
01-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Hello guys ,
I have a really good question for you. I hope so :)
So I am using asus G74SX :
Performance :
Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2ghz
DDR3 16gb , frequency 665.3MHz
Video : Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 ; 3gb ram

The problem my notebook have is about that the FPS going down when is full loaded for a period of time.
I mean when I play games like Guild Wars 2. I manage the graphics settings to play normal for my performance.
It always starts without a problem till some moment of full load of the video and cpu for a period of time.
Than comes that FPS going down for some seconds (from 60 to 15fps) and than up again and down and up and down(this is really annoying) ...And this till the full load goes(for example if I do some massive fight whit lots of players it happens).
I have started looking up forums , also monitoring my CPU and Video whit some programmes and I have found out something important. When the CPU temp Hits 75 degrees the turbo boost starts to lowing down the speed of the CPU so here is the reason my FPS going down for seconds . When the temperature goes down than 74degress its all fine. For example when I play StarCraft2 I play it on ultra video options and the highest temperature I have pointed was 68 degrees. But games like Guild Wars 2 , Star Wars The Old Republic and more and more are doing this. However the maximum temperature I have measured on the CPU ever was around 79-80 degrees which I thing should be normal ?!
And so what I do when I play games is just setting up the clock of my CPU to run not more than 99% on high mode. Than it works all the time on 2.194mhz and it goes to max of 67 degrees and I don't have any FPS drop and all fine but in compromise of performance and everything is running at least 10fps lower than normal.
However I think that this throttling system is messing around whit my CPU. Is there a chance that I can set the decreasing of my CPU to start not at 75 degrees but for example 80-85? And I am sure If I can do this I would not have anymore problems whit the FPS. I was trying my bios to see if there is some options but I am afraid my bios is not open for any options and I cant do nothing there instead of managing the boot drivers :)
I am sorry for the long writing guys but I am not a pro and I don't know how to explain it whit other words.
Hope the information I gave you is useful .
Best Wishes
Batsika

Dttell
03-03-2013, 07:59 PM
Just checking in after a very long time, but has this problem been resolved by ASUS yet or do to do Lannigan's technique mentioned several pages back?

Gsuby
06-04-2013, 05:44 PM
I don't know why I did not try this sooner. I have a great increase in the speed of my system. Good work!

danwat1234
06-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Just a heads up for all~

Best Regards
Sawn

Oh sure they are

anouar_3
03-30-2014, 08:36 AM
I should also let you guys know that I did improve on what was stated in the first post I made. You can do what I posted there, or you can enable the thermal configuration menu in the bios (ie you can go into bios and turn this on or off, and some other choices as well) . To do this useing the same tool AMIBCP 4.5, open your choice of bios file for your computer. Under setup configuration click on advanced. Find the column that starts with Thermal Configuration. Double click the Access/Use parameter and change it from Default to USER. Expand the Advanced Folder and Click on the Thermal Configuration Folder. The second line down labelled thermal configuration change the Access/Use parameter to User as well. Save this file and flash it, go into your bios and go under the advanced menu, you will notice you can now go into the thermal config and enable BD-PROCHOT or disable it as you wish. You can also enable other hidden bios menus such as CPU configuration and Power & Performance by following the same steps as above for the respective menu. I am sorry if I am terrible at explaining stuff, hands on person here always been terrible at communication!

hi there plz help me am not fimiliar with amibcp 4.5 i dont know where to find the bios file , i have bios v 205 can u plz be more detailed

numanuk
05-08-2014, 01:02 PM
I have modded bios version 203 for G74Sx with the thermal configuration page unlocked. You can turn BD-PROCHOT off and you can also tweak the fans and when they kick in etc. Check the links further down this post.

Avoid the mac os x mod bios to enable turbo in mac os x, there are too many options that will brick your laptop and you'll have to reprogram the damn thing as I did.

I've uploaded a couple of working modded bios's to my webserver.

They both work perfectly.

1) This is really a bonus bios lol. https://www.lutonparking.com/G74SxASBackLightFix.203.zip this bios will fix the backlight not working issue after updating or recovering flash.

2) this bios adds the thermal options to the bios. https://www.lutonparking.com/G74SxThermalMod.203.zip

Just a little note about eazyflash using NTFS drives to update bios is great and works very well providing you have no folders on the drive.

Best rule of thumb is make sure any bios you flash is recognised by the utility including model and bios revision. Once you have a folder on the NTFS partiton the files are no longer read properly but appear in the list. You will brick your laptop if you flash at this point.

Also I have no quarms testing bios's on my own laptop, PM any bios's you want testing, I don't care if i brick my G74Sx I bricked mine at least 3 times last night testing out bios's lol.

PM me your asus bios for a different model and I will PM you it back modded to turn off BD-PROCHOT

spearhead3
08-31-2014, 08:18 AM
ASUS EP 121 ..THROTTLESTOP 6.00 (BD PROCHOT) worked great when de-clicked!

Thanks

DaemonXR
10-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Dont fiddle with custom Bios flashing. There will always be posibilities to brick your machine. Instead use ThrottleStop. Its an easy way to fix this problem and you will not be in danger that something goes wrong.
Cheers folks

shinoyaj
04-07-2015, 03:00 PM
How about the G75VW?

Almighty1
09-16-2015, 09:10 PM
I wonder if the v204 bios for the G74SX fixes this issue or not.

Blood Omen
03-09-2016, 09:35 PM
Is this problem was resolved ?