PDA

View Full Version : G46VW & Windows 8

SlyBlueFox
06-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I am trying to possibly dual boot my Win7 & Win8 setup. Currently, I have only Win7 installed (laptop came pre-installed with Win8). I am having a hard time finding out how to legally obtain a copy of Win8 iso to install with. The only place so far I can find anything from Microsoft is this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only but it requires a product key to download. As far as I know, my Win8 key is stored in an on-board chip or in my BIOS. I have since updated my BIOS from pre-installed 207 to 210 & reformatted all HDD's. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

rewben
06-06-2013, 03:16 PM
hi @SlyBlueFox, since you're running w7, the trick to get a copy of w8 is this:

1. download that w8 pro upgrade with the tool at the page and a legit w8 pro key (w8 key cannot be used in this case);
2. after you have downloaded the w8 installation you will have the option to create an iso. do it;
3. create the usb boot disk by formatting it with fat32 then extracting the contents of w8 pro iso directly into it;
4. convert the w8 pro install usb with ei.cfg to allow w8 installation;
5. use the converted usb stick to boot and install w8.

SlyBlueFox
06-06-2013, 03:31 PM
hi @SlyBlueFox, since you're running w7, the trick to get a copy of w8 is this:

1. download that w8 pro upgrade with the tool at the page and a legit w8 pro key (w8 key cannot be used in this case);
2. after you have downloaded the w8 installation you will have the option to create an iso. do it;
3. create the usb boot disk by formatting it with fat32 then extracting the contents of w8 pro iso directly into it;
4. convert the w8 pro install usb with ei.cfg to allow w8 installation;
5. use the converted usb stick to boot and install w8.

I do not have a legit Win8 pro key. I am trying to not have to buy a new Win8 key in that I have already paid for one when I bought the laptop.

Clintlgm
06-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Actually I think you do have a legit Win 8 key, its still embedded somewhere you just need to extract it somehow. There are several win 8 serial number extractor programs out there. Maybe try one or two not sure if you can extract with out being loaded?? Sounds like that is your best route Sorry I'm not much help but it you originally had Win 8 then the number is still there.

SlyBlueFox
06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Actually I think you do have a legit Win 8 key, its still embedded somewhere you just need to extract it somehow. There are several win 8 serial number extractor programs out there. Maybe try one or two not sure if you can extract with out being loaded?? Sounds like that is your best route Sorry I'm not much help but it you originally had Win 8 then the number is still there.

I'm pretty sure I have a legit Win8 key embedded somewhere but I do not have a Win8 Pro key. I have tried a handful of the "key extractors" to no avail. They seem to extract only Win7 key but no Win8 (I am currently running WIn7).

Clintlgm
06-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Well no your NB came with Win 8 Standard, so if you want a Win 8 pro you will have to purchase that . I suspected that you would have to have win 8 running to extract the Key, most likely the extractors pulls it out of the registry? I think your going to have to find someone with a CD of win 8 Standard and reinstall Win 8 using the Win 8 as the main boot for your dual boot Win 8 and Win 7, you get a better interface using the win 8 UI for dual booting. Once you get this set up you should be able to upgrade your Win 8 to Pro with your purchased win 8 pro key?

Shawnnepc
06-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Well no your NB came with Win 8 Standard, so if you want a Win 8 pro you will have to purchase that . I suspected that you would have to have win 8 running to extract the Key, most likely the extractors pulls it out of the registry? I think your going to have to find someone with a CD of win 8 Standard and reinstall Win 8 using the Win 8 as the main boot for your dual boot Win 8 and Win 7, you get a better interface using the win 8 UI for dual booting. Once you get this set up you should be able to upgrade your Win 8 to Pro with your purchased win 8 pro key?

Clintlgm is correct about the key readers. You HAVE to be booted into Windows 8 to read the key.

I can't publicly provide the .ISO for Windows 8 due to restrictions placed on us by Microsoft.

Clintlgm
06-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Well since you want a Win 8 Pro, perhaps if you purchase the upgrade from Win 8 Standard to Win 8 pro you will get a ISO Download?