PDA

View Full Version : G75VX Do not disable hibernation

Highlander
06-13-2013, 04:05 AM
I installed 2 840 Samsung drives with 512mb cache SSDs.

One of the things people tell you is to disable hibernation on the SSDs... actually with win8 this is NOT a good idea... Computer when you shut it down, it sort of hibernates... Opon reboot... it starts off in just a couple of seconds.. If you disable hibernation, you will notice start ups take 50% longer....

Worth a note.

Clintlgm
06-13-2013, 04:26 AM
So your going to have a complete shut down are restart in 4 seconds? My VW Win7 makes a complete start up in about 25 seconds that's fast to me and I would prefer a complete shut down than a Hybrid shutdown I have always had problems with Hibernation and I haven't found the Hybrid shutdown any better in Win 8, I have set up an Icon on the one Win 8 WS I deal with, just for getting a complete shutdown. While I don't use hibernation I do leave it activated on m NB's just incase it should come unplugged and need to hibernate to save data on a dyeing battery. For smaller SSD's the hiberfil.sys file is 16 GB of space. so some people disable it to recover that space.

Dedi
06-13-2013, 10:39 PM
I have 2 samsung SSDs in my VX, and i have disabled the hibirnation. I can open Chrome in like ~10sec from when i press the power button. Would it be faster if i enable hibirnation?

dogfart
06-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Win7 x64 here but I always disable hibernation. Its a security thing with me.

13fist
06-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Uhhh.....
Waking up from hibernation is faster than startup. It has nothing to do with what type of drives you are using. it is a windows feature that's been around for a long, long, time. Hibernation is normally disabled because reading/writing to the hiberfil.sys just adds to the shutdown/startup time and wastes drive space. The reason to disable for SSD use is to reduce unneeded read/writes and prolong the lifespan of the SSD.

You can use hibernation if you want to, but it has been recommended that it be disabled since Windows 2000.

TSC-Ops
06-14-2013, 04:02 AM
hibernation is awful, first think I get rid of

Zygomorphic
06-14-2013, 10:21 AM
hibernation is awful, first think I get rid of
I don't use it either, when I use Windows 7 at all. I have found that it takes longer than booting and shutting down (for mechanical HDDs), so pointless compared with sleep. If I am going somewhere that requires the computer be off for a while, I shut it down. Since I use LINUX extensively, I have no need to hibernate, the boot times are so much better.

shuckeru
06-19-2013, 02:55 AM
as far as i'm concerned even when i use hibernation on desktops it always boots up faster. i don't have any sort of junk on my computer though. worth a note

Zygomorphic
06-19-2013, 10:22 AM
as far as i'm concerned even when i use hibernation on desktops it always boots up faster. i don't have any sort of junk on my computer though. worth a note

OK. Fair point. It is also a function of the speed of the drives relative to the amount of memory.

Highlander
06-22-2013, 07:44 PM
I do a shutdown... probably this system does a hybrid shutdown.... but it starts in half the time with hibernation on than off... and I am doing shut down.... then powering up.... On a restart is like a regular start up....