PDA

View Full Version : G75VW High GPU temperatures (670m)

brndwn
06-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Back in winter when this laptop was new I used to get 70-76 degrees Celsius under load. This was higher than average. Furmark stopped at 86 degrees.

Now I'm getting 80 and sometimes more while playing BF3, with the same settings that are pushing the card.

Some questions:

1. Should I be worried?
2. Is there any way I could make the cooling better?

Going to run Furmark to see what I'll get...

brndwn
06-13-2013, 09:10 AM
It got to 90 in 5 minutes so I obviously closed it.

nirO
06-13-2013, 12:06 PM
same here took my g75vw with the gtx670m in winter .. got identical temps like u... and now since room temp is higher got even more C and yeah mine goes to 90 as well...

and yeah u should worry since 90C is about tops the card can take....

the thermal paste job is **** ... so u could send it to repairs and see what they solve... most complain about asus bad support u might not get back for a month or more.. and not even sure they can fix the problem right and not make more damage to it....

so either send it ... or do the repaste job your self and u lose warranty....

EDIT: i`ve not decided yet my self what to do... would do the repaste job my self but never done one... was also thinking to take a cooler and if wont cool might even drill some holes under the fan... just not to send it to asus... after reading all that stuff about theyr support... also i called costumer support my self.. explained to the guy my problem and he was kind of incompetent to understand whats the problem, and after talking to him for some good minutes then he asked my email to send me a address where to ship the laptop and never got email from him... so i left it be...

i live in greece and he told me they would have to send it in Czech Republic for the repairs.. ofc the cost for shipping i would of payd my self..

trying to find arround me a shop that can do this for me and to ensure if they **** up something in it... but i have a hard time finding that arround me as well...

Dreamonic
06-13-2013, 07:21 PM
same here took my g75vw with the gtx670m in winter .. got identical temps like u... and now since room temp is higher got even more C and yeah mine goes to 90 as well...

and yeah u should worry since 90C is about tops the card can take....

the thermal paste job is **** ... so u could send it to repairs and see what they solve... most complain about asus bad support u might not get back for a month or more.. and not even sure they can fix the problem right and not make more damage to it....

so either send it ... or do the repaste job your self and u lose warranty....

EDIT: i`ve not decided yet my self what to do... would do the repaste job my self but never done one... was also thinking to take a cooler and if wont cool might even drill some holes under the fan... just not to send it to asus... after reading all that stuff about theyr support... also i called costumer support my self.. explained to the guy my problem and he was kind of incompetent to understand whats the problem, and after talking to him for some good minutes then he asked my email to send me a address where to ship the laptop and never got email from him... so i left it be...

i live in greece and he told me they would have to send it in Czech Republic for the repairs.. ofc the cost for shipping i would of payd my self..

trying to find arround me a shop that can do this for me and to ensure if they **** up something in it... but i have a hard time finding that arround me as well...

IMHO, it would be better to do this yourself being as it is your first time, than it would be taking it to someone else. Why?

The majority of people will not treat your possessions the way that you do. You think you are unsatisfied by only the temperatures now? Your G could be scuffed, scratched or perhaps have broken pieces in the end from someone else doing it; It's the nature of customer service/business, not to the mention the turn around time to fix something you are unhappy about. Take advantage of this opportunity as it would be your first time, you can disassemble the G slowly and diagram it on paper and educate yourself so in the future with another laptop that may require the same attention, you'll have better knowledge of how to disassemble that one, not to mention the confidence attained from doing your first one successfully.

In case you are stumped on a section to remove or not sure of what is required, there are plenty of videos to follow on disassembling the G75 and a community here that will help you through this if you are so inclined to do this yourself.

Regarding losing warranty, this is your call. How many months have you had your G75? If it's approaching near half a year or more, just do the paste yourself.

I can see why it appears like a hard decision to make, because on one hand you may have a rush job and poorly applied paste again and possible cosmetic damage if taken elsewhere and on the other hand, you can have better temperatures no cosmetic damage but lose warranty if you do it yourself.

Another option is removing the bottom cover and using a cooling pad. Eventually though, your paste will still need to be redone.

Whatever your choice is just remember to take your time, whether it be with this decision or the next.

Good Luck!

nirO
06-13-2013, 09:39 PM
IMHO, it would be better to do this yourself being as it is your first time, than it would be taking it to someone else. Why?

The majority of people will not treat your possessions the way that you do. You think you are unsatisfied by only the temperatures now? Your G could be scuffed, scratched or perhaps have broken pieces in the end from someone else doing it; It's the nature of customer service/business, not to the mention the turn around time to fix something you are unhappy about. Take advantage of this opportunity as it would be your first time, you can disassemble the G slowly and diagram it on paper and educate yourself so in the future with another laptop that may require the same attention, you'll have better knowledge of how to disassemble that one, not to mention the confidence attained from doing your first one successfully.

In case you are stumped on a section to remove or not sure of what is required, there are plenty of videos to follow on disassembling the G75 and a community here that will help you through this if you are so inclined to do this yourself.

Regarding losing warranty, this is your call. How many months have you had your G75? If it's approaching near half a year or more, just do the paste yourself.

I can see why it appears like a hard decision to make, because on one hand you may have a rush job and poorly applied paste again and possible cosmetic damage if taken elsewhere and on the other hand, you can have better temperatures no cosmetic damage but lose warranty if you do it yourself.

Another option is removing the bottom cover and using a cooling pad. Eventually though, your paste will still need to be redone.

Whatever your choice is just remember to take your time, whether it be with this decision or the next.

Good Luck!

thanks for the advise... and i think u are 100% right... and yeah i have my g75 from november so more then 6months but warranty is 2 years. anyways i dont trust sending it to asus center for repairs since many who did they didt got it fix right had it gone for 1month or more and maybe even more damage to it..

and yeah thats what i think i`m goona do... open the bot on it and use a cooling pad for a while... and at some point me and a frined when we have more time we will open it and do the repaste.