PDA

View Full Version : G55VW - How do I disable hyperthreading (option not found in BIOS)?

Living Room Rocker
06-16-2013, 02:58 AM
Can anyone tell me how to disable hyperthreading on my G5VW? I don't see an option in the BIOS. Is there another way I can access this option and disble it? (Please do not ask me why I want to disable it.) Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Zygomorphic
06-16-2013, 07:05 PM
It there isn't an option in the BIOS, I don't think that you can. On LINUX, there may be a way to set number of cores that the system will use. On Windows, I don't think that there is any way to do that.

Living Room Rocker
06-17-2013, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the response, Zygomorphic.

That's a drag. Why would the HT option be missing from the BIOS? Is there a version that has it available?

Zygomorphic
06-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the response, Zygomorphic.

That's a drag. Why would the HT option be missing from the BIOS? Is there a version that has it available?

I don't think so. Very few notebooks allow for enabling/disabling of HT. To be honest, there isn't much of a reason to do so, since HT doesn't consume that much more power, and it doesn't slow the system down in degenerate workloads (so far as I have seen). On the other hand, it does have some benefits in the right workloads, but otherwise it kind of just sits there.