PDA

View Full Version : G55VW - Windows 7 -> 8, Fn + F7 behaves improperly

Centril
06-17-2013, 02:36 AM
I recently moved from Win7 to Win8 on my G55VW (Clean install).

Before I did this, the LCD switch Fn+F7 key worked fine - it turned off the primary laptop display while keeping any external monitors alive.

With Windows 8 (Ultimate), the key instead turns all monitors off but this is not permanent.
After a few seconds (it varies, between 1 to 10) all of the screens turn back on.
No external device except power & external display is connected (if removed, the behavior is the same).
The touch pad is disabled.

I tested this both with the 209 & 217 (latest) BIOS versions, the BIOS seems to have nothing to do with this.
I've the most recent nVidia driver installed as of today: 302.18 Driver.

The ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities, Version V1.0.0022 are installed. All other Fn keys behave as they should.

It's quite annoying at the moment not being able to have the lid open and the external monitor on at the same time as the light from the primary LCD ruins the contrast in the room.

/ Centril

SHADO
06-17-2013, 03:01 AM
FWIW, my G75VW which came with Win 8 from the factory exhibits the same behavior when I press Fn+F7. The only difference is that my monitors don't come back on by themselves. Also, when I hit Fn+F7, my keyboard backlight shuts off too.

Pitcher@asus
06-17-2013, 03:05 AM
please try install ATK V1.0.0023.

Centril
06-17-2013, 03:27 AM
Whops - apparently ATK V1.0.0023. was installed, not V1.0.0022, my bad.
I installed the one under Windows 8 64bit, and now i repaired the install, no change.

cl-Albert
06-17-2013, 07:24 PM
It's quite annoying at the moment not being able to have the lid open and the external monitor on at the same time as the light from the primary LCD ruins the contrast in the room.

Sorry, if I don't understand what you are trying to do, but if you want to have your notebook lid closed and only use the external display, you can change the setting for the lid switch under the advanced settings of the power options to 'do nothing' which will still turn off the notebook screen, so let us know if you want more details about this.

Otherwise, not sure why you would want to have your notebook lid open if the screen is off and only use the external display instead, so tell us more about this if necessary. Thanks.

Centril
06-17-2013, 09:45 PM
For this particular use case, I actually want the lid open but the laptop screen shut off and the external screen on.
The reason is quite simple: my external monitor is larger, and I want to use it instead of my laptops monitor when watching movies.
If I close the lid, it is physically impossible to use the keyboard, but I want to be able to use the keyboard.
Under Windows 7, this was the behavior of Fn+F7, but ever since I changed OS to Windows 8, it behaves differently.
How does Fn+F7 behave for you under Win-7 / Win 8 respectively? Do you get the same results I did under Windows 7? Might be an OS thing - but google fails me :(

At the moment, I have changed the settings for lid switch under power options, but this is a last resort - I'm used to putting my PC to sleep by closing the lid and I'd rather keep it that way =)

cl-Albert
06-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Ah, okay, didn't realize you still wanted to use the notebook keyboard too.
Yeah, it would be nice to compare with more Win8 units from different manufacturers, but I tried a Win8 notebook with an external monitor and Fn+F7 turned off both displays, so it might be normal for Win8, but hopefully others can let us know what they see.

Couple more ideas below for you which I'll admit are not that great.
1. You can try to dim the notebook screen with Fn+F5, but on the Win8 notebook I tried, the screen was still pretty bright on the dimmest setting and didn't turn off. Hopefully it works better for your notebook.
2. You probably thought of this and don't want to try it right now, but if you don't mind closing the lid (Fn+F1, the power button, or timers can also be used to put your notebook to sleep if you didn't already know), you may want to consider using an external USB keyboard if possible?

Well, hopefully someone else has better ideas or we can think of a solution later.