yeah i have n55sf
with gt550m (if im not wrong) <- this vga have a lot of issues :|

then
i want to buy a new laptop
and i have some recommend = g55vw x g75vw x macpro with retina dis 15"
from what i know, g55 and g75 is a superb for gaming
but for me g75vw is too big (17inch)
and maybe ill buy g55 and upgrade the ram to 16gb
but i dont know, if i use 16gb RAM on g55, will g55 overheated ? or what ?
some of my friend also say that macpro is really good for design, but from what i know, os mac is sucks, cant play with it, have to install windows :? (+ apple is too overpriced)
so how bout u guys ?
and i heard about VX i dont know what is it
is it better than VW ?

Zygomorphic
06-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Welcome, I have moved/deleted threads and posts to get everything in the right place. Namely, I moved one thread to the appropriate subforum, and deleted the other. Welcome to the forums!

OK, let me take it from the top:
None of the computers that you mentioned is the prime choice for architecture, since they have gaming GPUs. (Geforce). However, the mobile workstations that have CAD GPUs (Quadro) are incredibly expensive, so they would be out of your price range (and they are made by less reliable manufacturers).

The Mac OS X really stinks - really, really stinks. The user interface is horrible, and I cannot stand it. There are all sorts of little things that it can't/won't do the same way as anyone else.

From a hardware side, the Macbook Pro is missing certain key keys (pun not intended) such as Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, etc. There are keyboard chords which do it (Option+arrow keys, I believe), but those are far less convenient, especially when compared with the obvious Ctrl+Home. The hardware is good, there is no denying that, but the price is insane, and the ability to upgrade is minimal to nonexistant. Those are serious flaws in my book (and yes, you will almost certainly have to install Windows, which means that you now have an over-priced PC).

Between the G75 and the G55 it is your call, they are much better for CAD than the N55SF, because the GPUs are faster. You ca upgrade to 16 GB of RAM in the G55 without worries about overheating, so that is not an issue. I agree, the G75 would be awfully large to be toting around a campus for any length of time.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of problems are you seeing with your N55SF? Have you tried installing the latest drivers from nVidia's website? I'd like to see if it would be possible to help you get your current computer (which is quite nice) running instead of making you buy another computer.

rewben
06-17-2013, 10:48 AM
@raykur, if you're looking at 15.6" laptops only, it's better to get a g55 without 3D screen (i.e. non-3D version). the 3D version has a resolution of 1366x768, while non-3D version has a FHD (1920x1080).

for ram upgrades, don't worry. a g55 can go up to 32gb. the stock cpu is good enough (i7 3630qm); and the gpu is a nvidia 660m (which i think is reasonably good enough for CAD)

.. and don't worry about cooling. asus g-series has second to none cooling. the laptop is quiet and cool. all the times, even under load.

if possible, get the g55 model that comes with a mSATA SSD. alternatively, replace the stock HDD with a SSD; and then replace the DVDROM with HDD caddy. with SSD, your laptop will be much more responsive, and everything is much faster.

however, if you need better gpu, then g75vx is a better choice.

raykur
06-17-2013, 10:50 AM
Welcome, I have moved/deleted threads and posts to get everything in the right place. Namely, I moved one thread to the appropriate subforum, and deleted the other. Welcome to the forums!

OK, let me take it from the top:
None of the computers that you mentioned is the prime choice for architecture, since they have gaming GPUs. (Geforce). However, the mobile workstations that have CAD GPUs (Quadro) are incredibly expensive, so they would be out of your price range (and they are made by less reliable manufacturers).

The Mac OS X really stinks - really, really stinks. The user interface is horrible, and I cannot stand it. There are all sorts of little things that it can't/won't do the same way as anyone else.

From a hardware side, the Macbook Pro is missing certain key keys (pun not intended) such as Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, etc. There are keyboard chords which do it (Option+arrow keys, I believe), but those are far less convenient, especially when compared with the obvious Ctrl+Home. The hardware is good, there is no denying that, but the price is insane, and the ability to upgrade is minimal to nonexistant. Those are serious flaws in my book (and yes, you will almost certainly have to install Windows, which means that you now have an over-priced PC).

Between the G75 and the G55 it is your call, they are much better for CAD than the N55SF, because the GPUs are faster. You ca upgrade to 16 GB of RAM in the G55 without worries about overheating, so that is not an issue. I agree, the G75 would be awfully large to be toting around a campus for any length of time.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of problems are you seeing with your N55SF? Have you tried installing the latest drivers from nVidia's website? I'd like to see if it would be possible to help you get your current computer (which is quite nice) running instead of making you buy another computer.

oh so it wont be overheating..
yeah i want a g55vw with 16g ram and 1TB hd maybe
the 3d one
but just worried bout overheating

cause my n55 is too damn hot when i use it for gaming
and when i use it for autocad, the program frequently error
i dont know if its the program or my laptop, because my friend have n43sl and have the same problem
and i read on the internet than gt550m have so mny problem
like when playing PES , it cant change from intel to the vga
my friend have gt560m, it can change to vga from the intel
i tried to use the same way from nvidia contrl panel, but still cant change it

*edit:
ive tried to update from nvidia
ive wait for it so long when its detecting my vga
then it said that cant detect my vga

(i use the laptop for gaming and do assignment)

and i want to ask about asus VX or something
idk what is it
is there g75vx ?
and i want to ask about thunderbolt

raykur
06-17-2013, 10:50 AM
sry if my english is bad

Zygomorphic
06-17-2013, 07:55 PM
sry if my english is bad
Now worries about the English, it is readable. :) We recognize that not everyone on the forums reads English as their native language, so no worries.

As to the failing to detect the video card, that means that you likely have Optimus, which will cause all sorts of problems for CAD programs. I hadn't thought about that before, but the Optimus will likely cause problems for the CAD programs. As to overheating, that is definitely possible, especially since the N55F doesn't have a cooling system like the ROG notebooks do.

A G55 (any version) with 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB hard drive will be a nice system, especially if you add an mSata SSD to it. That would make a really nice system, especially for CAD and everything else. I would definitely recommend against the 3D version, since you don't get the 1080p panel in that case (something that I really like, and is really nice for CAD). 3D won't work with CAD, and actually might cause problems.

Thunderbolt is nice if you can get it, but definitely not necessary. There are very few peripherals that are using it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

raykur
06-18-2013, 06:39 AM
@raykur, if you're looking at 15.6" laptops only, it's better to get a g55 without 3D screen (i.e. non-3D version). the 3D version has a resolution of 1366x768, while non-3D version has a FHD (1920x1080).

for ram upgrades, don't worry. a g55 can go up to 32gb. the stock cpu is good enough (i7 3630qm); and the gpu is a nvidia 660m (which i think is reasonably good enough for CAD)

.. and don't worry about cooling. asus g-series has second to none cooling. the laptop is quiet and cool. all the times, even under load.

if possible, get the g55 model that comes with a mSATA SSD. alternatively, replace the stock HDD with a SSD; and then replace the DVDROM with HDD caddy. with SSD, your laptop will be much more responsive, and everything is much faster.

however, if you need better gpu, then g75vx is a better choice.

Now worries about the English, it is readable. :) We recognize that not everyone on the forums reads English as their native language, so no worries.

As to the failing to detect the video card, that means that you likely have Optimus, which will cause all sorts of problems for CAD programs. I hadn't thought about that before, but the Optimus will likely cause problems for the CAD programs. As to overheating, that is definitely possible, especially since the N55F doesn't have a cooling system like the ROG notebooks do.

A G55 (any version) with 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB hard drive will be a nice system, especially if you add an mSata SSD to it. That would make a really nice system, especially for CAD and everything else. I would definitely recommend against the 3D version, since you don't get the 1080p panel in that case (something that I really like, and is really nice for CAD). 3D won't work with CAD, and actually might cause problems.

Thunderbolt is nice if you can get it, but definitely not necessary. There are very few peripherals that are using it, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

soo
what is SSD ? whats the different with hdd ?
sry i dont know
and can u guys tell me
what spec should my g55vw should be
so i can easily search for it
and about the price range

raykur
06-18-2013, 06:40 AM
btw
thx guys
u really help me

oh yeah
and... about the 3d
is it not good ?
cause i use it for gaming too

Zygomorphic
06-18-2013, 10:24 AM
If you want the 3D, you can get it, I am just thinking of the school work (CAD) being so much nicer on a 1080p display. An SSD is a solid-state drive. They are way faster than hard drives, but have a smaller capacity. As to specs and/or price, will you please post links to systems that you are considering? That is the easiest way for us to review them. My first guess is that you should be looking in the $1200-1300 range for the computer, plus $100 for the RAM upgrade (if you do it yourself). $200 to add an SSD.
Total: $1500-1600

rewben
06-18-2013, 11:12 AM
yeah like what @Zygomorphic pointed out, the 3D display is fine, but it's better to have larger workspace for CAD software and school work (imo most CAD software requires a larger workspace to provide better user experience).

for a g55, you can only get that with a non-3D version.

Tomislav
06-18-2013, 11:23 AM
wow, haven't be here for a while. good to be back. OK, to help your troubles. I'm graphic designer, and I also specialize in architectural 3D so I know my fair amount of CAD. First of all MacBookPro can't match the specs of the g75vx.Period. OK. Retina display is nice, but if you are working with CAD a lot, a second monitor will be a definite must have. What you need to make your CAD work faster is CUDA technology, that is a specific technology developed by nVidia that can fasten up your work. Professional laptops for CAD are those with Quadro cards, but these are really expensive and Quadro cards aren't any good for gaming though they have more CUDA cores. So your best bet is to get a fast gaming card, which is in G75vx (it is a gtx670mx). It has more CUDA cores, then GTX660 (that is in g55/75vw models). Also the processor in these models are great, and thunderbolt may come useful in future for either connecting monitors with larger resolution (like 1440/1600p) or even external gpu's- basically it makes your machine more future proof. Also an SSD is a must have, but you can buy one later-it's easy to install and you will find good instructions how to install your operating system on it on this forum. Also it would be wise to keep only your Windows and a few programs on it since SSD's have smaller capacities. Definitely install AutoCADon it ( I have AutoCAD 2013 Architectural edition and it takes ages to boot the software when you install it on a regular HDD). Pricing depends on the region but it will be cheaper than the MacBook Pro where ever you are and much,much better. Hope this helps. cheers!

chrsplmr
06-18-2013, 12:02 PM
You don't mention budget. Is the 'new' G750 with the 780 out of the question ?? Sounds like it would fit the 'bill'.

http://rog.asus.com/239892013/g-series-laptops/asus-introduces-the-republic-of-gamers-g750-laptop/

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33559-Asus-G750JH-(-GTX-780M-model-)-price&country=&status= (http://rog.asus.com/239892013/g-series-laptops/asus-introduces-the-republic-of-gamers-g750-laptop/)

.c.

raykur
06-19-2013, 10:25 AM
yeah like what @Zygomorphic pointed out, the 3D display is fine, but it's better to have larger workspace for CAD software and school work (imo most CAD software requires a larger workspace to provide better user experience).

for a g55, you can only get that with a non-3D version.

If you want the 3D, you can get it, I am just thinking of the school work (CAD) being so much nicer on a 1080p display. An SSD is a solid-state drive. They are way faster than hard drives, but have a smaller capacity. As to specs and/or price, will you please post links to systems that you are considering? That is the easiest way for us to review them. My first guess is that you should be looking in the $1200-1300 range for the computer, plus $100 for the RAM upgrade (if you do it yourself). $200 to add an SSD.
Total: $1500-1600

wow, haven't be here for a while. good to be back. OK, to help your troubles. I'm graphic designer, and I also specialize in architectural 3D so I know my fair amount of CAD. First of all MacBookPro can't match the specs of the g75vx.Period. OK. Retina display is nice, but if you are working with CAD a lot, a second monitor will be a definite must have. What you need to make your CAD work faster is CUDA technology, that is a specific technology developed by nVidia that can fasten up your work. Professional laptops for CAD are those with Quadro cards, but these are really expensive and Quadro cards aren't any good for gaming though they have more CUDA cores. So your best bet is to get a fast gaming card, which is in G75vx (it is a gtx670mx). It has more CUDA cores, then GTX660 (that is in g55/75vw models). Also the processor in these models are great, and thunderbolt may come useful in future for either connecting monitors with larger resolution (like 1440/1600p) or even external gpu's- basically it makes your machine more future proof. Also an SSD is a must have, but you can buy one later-it's easy to install and you will find good instructions how to install your operating system on it on this forum. Also it would be wise to keep only your Windows and a few programs on it since SSD's have smaller capacities. Definitely install AutoCADon it ( I have AutoCAD 2013 Architectural edition and it takes ages to boot the software when you install it on a regular HDD). Pricing depends on the region but it will be cheaper than the MacBook Pro where ever you are and much,much better. Hope this helps. cheers!

You don't mention budget. Is the 'new' G750 with the 780 out of the question ?? Sounds like it would fit the 'bill'.

http://rog.asus.com/239892013/g-series-laptops/asus-introduces-the-republic-of-gamers-g750-laptop/

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33559-Asus-G750JH-(-GTX-780M-model-)-price&country=&status= (http://rog.asus.com/239892013/g-series-laptops/asus-introduces-the-republic-of-gamers-g750-laptop/)

.c.

oh
so hello guys
thx for u all
ive bought a g55vw
with upgraded ram to 16GB
and 750gb ssd
but i buy the 3d one

but
i look all the market here
all sell asus G series all with win 8
and yeah,.. i buy the g55vw with te win8
and i want to ask if win 8 is good .. or how ?
cause maybe i'll change it to windows 7

for tomislav and chrsplmr
i just readt your post after i buy the laptop :(
i dont buy g75 cause its to big
:s

Tomislav
06-19-2013, 12:29 PM
you'll be fine with G55 it's a decent machine. Maybe even better for a student that travels a lot. Trust me I know a lot of architects that work serious projects on machines that are 10 times worse than that. If you need anymore help with this feel free to ask.

rewben
06-19-2013, 01:51 PM
@Tomislav, long time no see :)

@raykur, it's fine with a g55-3D. as for w8, it depends on your preferences. i am used to w8 already.

raykur
06-19-2013, 03:53 PM
you'll be fine with G55 it's a decent machine. Maybe even better for a student that travels a lot. Trust me I know a lot of architects that work serious projects on machines that are 10 times worse than that. If you need anymore help with this feel free to ask.

@Tomislav, long time no see :)

@raykur, it's fine with a g55-3D. as for w8, it depends on your preferences. i am used to w8 already.

yeah
idk about the win8 yet
but many ppl say that win8 really really sucks
and my friend cant install autocad on win8
so im a bit worried

Tomislav
06-20-2013, 10:57 AM
@rewben yeah bro it's been a while!Been busy as hell lately. Well I'm back and planning to stay! :D

@raykur- there are good tutorials on how to downgrade to win 7 on the forum, and there are quite a few people that can help you with that around here, don't be afraid to ask. I'm used to win 8 too. As fot the CAD, it can be installed with no problems Autodesk has support for win 8. I had absolutely no problems with software installation, even with older stuff. If you have trouble with CAD just PM me.

raykur
06-20-2013, 12:59 PM
@yeah bro it's been a while!Been busy as hell lately. Well I'm back and planning to stay! :D

@raykur- there are good tutorials on how to downgrade to win 7 on the forum, and there are quite a few people that can help you with that around here, don't be afraid to ask. I'm used to win 8 too. As fot the CAD, it can be installed with no problems Autodesk has support for win 8. I had absolutely no problems with software installation, even with older stuff. If you have trouble with CAD just PM me.

oh ok
yeah
here come the g55
ahahha
how to check if the my storage hdd or ssd ?

SHADO
06-20-2013, 11:46 PM
oh ok
yeah
here come the g55
ahahha
how to check if the my storage hdd or ssd ?

750GB? It's either an HDD, or a hybrid HDD/SSD. I think an SSD of that capacity would be cost prohibitive.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, SSD's don't come in a 750GB capacity (only smaller or larger).

raykur
06-22-2013, 11:18 AM
750GB? It's either an HDD, or a hybrid HDD/SSD. I think an SSD of that capacity would be cost prohibitive.

Also, to the best of my knowledge, SSD's don't come in a 750GB capacity (only smaller or larger).

so
u know how to check wether its a ssd or hdd ?
:/

and
anyone know what a good 3d game ?
cause i have some game
but all of them not rated by nvidia (pes, dota2, cs:go)
and the 3d is not that amazing
so anyone have any recommend what game ?

Zygomorphic
06-22-2013, 05:41 PM
so
u know how to check wether its a ssd or hdd ?
:/

and
anyone know what a good 3d game ?
cause i have some game
but all of them not rated by nvidia (pes, dota2, cs:go)
and the 3d is not that amazing
so anyone have any recommend what game ?

Go into Control Panel->Device manager, and see what is listed under disks. Post the manufacturers, and we can likely guess.