PDA

View Full Version : My asus G74x shuts down without warning

remozito
06-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Hello,

I make myself the spokeman of more hundreds messages trough forums (and I count this one in) :

My G74x is shuting down randomly when i unplug it from power outlet.

This is not come from battery (i've try several). This is not an high temperature problem (i'd test it too).
As me, it's when i'd clean my register database with CCleaner or other : all ASUS softs are disabled.
I've try to update all asus softs (powergear, etc...) and no result.

First reporting of this problem appeared since 3 years and nobody from ASUS can do a patch for this?!

ROG are not only players computers, it's high graphic tools for professionals.
So please ASUS team, be serious.

Pitcher@asus
06-18-2013, 02:19 AM
could you try reinstall OS or check DIMMs, HDD?

remozito
06-19-2013, 08:57 PM
No way to reinstall OS (3 days of lost time).
What is the relationship with DIMM and HDD??

I just said it's a asus battery regulation soft's problem.

remozito
06-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Up up up up!!!

Rocky_boa
06-24-2013, 04:03 PM
I get the exact same problem with My G74Sx. Rams, HD, Batt, PW Supply haved benn pass to extreme test. noting Wrong???????

This trouble happen mostly on different level of batt reserve. 30% 60% 65%.... but the laptop Shut down without any warning and windows need to reboot like a reset.

This happen only on battery, on AC I can play without problem with more demanding game and application. no over heat, no lag and good fps.

please someone know the solution cause , It not a laptop portable without ability to thrust the shut down with batt over 65%.....

I think ASUS do better than that.....

Thanks
Rocky_Boa

Raskal
07-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Same problem here. I'm really disgusted by the lack of reaction of ASUS team. It's a real scandal, and I will let know it on other forums.

Zygomorphic
07-09-2013, 01:46 AM
@Raskal, I think that ASUS is taking it seriously, that is why Pitcher@ASUS is asking you to check out the RAM and HDD, to make sure that those aren't the issue. It does seem to be an odd issue, especially considering that you say that you have tested the battery, and so it shouldn't be that. Honestly, it sounds like an issue with the power controller, an issue that is unlikely to be fixable with software. We can try it by booting a LINUX live USB and performing the same actions. If LINUX shuts down in the same way, then it is likely a hardware issue, if not, then there is a software issue with Windows. I would consider this unlikely, but without further testing, I won't rule it out.

Dick Head
07-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Seen it before and hope I can help.

It can be a bad battery or a battery overheating from a bad cell. The lithium batteries have thermal protection built in and will kill the power output without warning if a defective cell is overheating.

Another thing that can cause this is the ASUS ATK driver and/or Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery driver being removed or corrupted.

Check in Device Manager and see if you have both of these items listed. ASUS ATK is in the System Devices section and the MS ACPI one is under the Batteries section.

PS...you only need one account to get your point across. It's obvious that you, Rocky_Boa and Raskal are one and the same.

Sponge348
07-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Well my computer does this as well. Hold on let me go check what i have. G74S. My computer would shut down after about 7 minutes even though i would still have 80+% charge left. I was also having problems with it getting a little too hot and i think a fan was broken so i took it to geek squad because it's still under warranty. They replaced the fan and the battery and after 2 weeks I got my laptop back last night. While watching true blood i went out side to go smoke a cigarette thinking everything would be hunky dory and boom it shuts down again. So I am sure it is not the battery since geek squad has claimed to have replaced it. I do have the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method but not the ASUS ATK driver. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'd rather fix this myself and not be without my computer for another 2 weeks.

Zygomorphic
07-10-2013, 01:30 AM
ATK driver should be for the keyboard, not the ACPI (unless it is doing both).
@DH, I don't think that they are the same guy, I checked some stuff, and they look different.

Sponge348
07-10-2013, 06:51 PM
*Update* Got a message this morning.from UPS saying mg battery was shipped out today so I guess GS didn't replace it. It should be here by the 12th. So if I remember I'll post.another update then to see if it is fixed. Sorry for the confusion. Also I am not the OP of this post. :-)