PDA

View Full Version : G73SW LCD won't turn on (Random)

silentkiller01
06-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi All

so ive been using my G73sw for 2 years no so no warranty any more.

Problem

sometimes (randomly) when i power on my lap it starts up but the display wont.. its completely blank
Hard Drive light turns on but i'm sure windows did not load.. (No windows loading sound)
i power off the lap and then try again.. 2 or 3 times later the display might start to work
Sometimes i give the Lid a bit of a shake, and then power on, so u might think its the cable.. but if its the cable i won't be able to close the lid and get the display on again when i reopen it.

A friend of mine suggested that it can be the magnetic sensor, but we tested it and it was not faulty

I have however noticed that sometimes when i boot the keyboard lights come on and off and on and off again.. and i found that after this the display would turn on..

Does any one have this problem ohh and my bios is the latest version

any solutions?

Thanks

silentkiller01
06-19-2013, 03:24 PM
sorry about the title

cl-Albert
06-19-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi, edited the title for you so hope it looks okay :).

Anyway, sounds like the system randomly does not even 'POST' and there is some hardware related issue, but try tapping 'F2' to see if you can get into the bios when it happens again to make sure.

1. Don't expect this will make a difference, but try connecting an external monitor if you haven't already.

2. If it makes sense to you, check with your local service center about out-of-warranty service although personally I prefer to save my money for a newer system with warranty rather than putting too much money into an out-of-warranty system.

3. If you're okay opening up the unit, try removing or swapping memory modules to see if it could be a bad memory stick or problem with the memory slot (my work notebook has a bad memory slot and has the same problem when memory is installed in that slot). If the problem appears to be with the memory module, you might also try cleaning the contacts.

4. If the unit eventually stops posting and you don't want to spend any money on out-of-warranty service, consider unplugging any unnecessary devices to post like hard drive, battery, etc., and disassemble/reassemble the system to make sure all the connections look good, but this will not help if something has gone bad.

a. Since you mentioned the lid switch cable, it might be causing the problem if it's just being flaky, so try to disconnect it if possible.

Good luck and hope this helps!

silentkiller01
06-20-2013, 05:10 AM
Thank you so much for your help especially with the title

I will try to check the memory modules today.
i could take it to a service center but its 6 hours away and i dnt have time to waste....
so i will try out your solutions and update you on the status
it just happens so randomly like its on its monthly cycle (mood swings)

thanks again

cl-Albert
06-20-2013, 05:13 PM
Yeah, unfortunately very intermittent issues are always tough ones since it's not easy to know if you've really solved them.

If you're interested, my work notebook is a completely different model and very intermittently had the black screen at boot like you, but often had problems after carrying it around which became progressively worse until I just removed the memory from that bad slot.
Your unit could be having a different problem though since there are other things that could cause this too.

Good luck again!