PDA

View Full Version : G73SW-A1 DC jack smoking

goodwill295
06-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Hello, my name is Patrick and I've recently ran into a problem with my G73SW-A1 Laptop. Well, yesterday my power brick stopped supplying power to my laptop so I unplugged it and plugged it back in and when I did the dc jack on my laptop started smoking. So naturally I unplugged it and shutdown my computer. The laptop wouldn't boot back up untill ten minutes later. Now I'm afraid to plug the power supply back in and I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

As a side note, I did have the jack replaced a year ago since the old one broke, and a month before this happened the power to my computer would occasionally blink on and off which caused my computer to tell me that my battery is faulty.

Any help at all is appreciated.

P.S. The warranty on the DC Jack is expired.

Pitcher@asus
06-20-2013, 03:39 AM
i think you will repair DC jack, maybe it is damage.

goodwill295
06-20-2013, 05:05 AM
I thought that was it maybe, I'll test my power supply first to see if the brick is broken or something. Anyone else?

cl-Albert
06-20-2013, 07:49 PM
i think you will repair DC jack, maybe it is damage.

Yeah, unfortunately, sounds like a DC jack problem to me too and guessing the DC jack may not even be able to be replaced this time to solve the problem if you are considering sending it back for out-of-warranty service.

Depending on your situation, I may try to convince you to forget about out-of-warranty service, but if you still want any suggestions to arrange this, please let us know.

goodwill295
06-21-2013, 04:27 AM
I'm not sure if I understand your last remark. Are you saying that I shouldn't get it repaired at all? Because I'm willing to pay for it to be fixed, the warranty doesn't matter to me since it is expired.

Shawnnepc
06-21-2013, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure if I understand your last remark. Are you saying that I shouldn't get it repaired at all? Because I'm willing to pay for it to be fixed, the warranty doesn't matter to me since it is expired.

He's saying that DC jack repair will be a huge hassle if you attempt it yourself and that you should probably contact him and get an out of warranty repair done by ASUS.

And based on your original post there's a chance you might need the entire motherboard replaced.

Where are you located? It might be wise to have an authorised reseller or repair center look at your laptop and give you an estimate.

goodwill295
06-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Oh awesome! I'd love to have Asus look at it. I live in Southeast Michigan.

cl-Albert
06-21-2013, 05:44 PM

Sorry, don't mean to tell you what to do, but just wanted to make sure you considered everything.

1. Anyway, if you want to send it back to ASUS for out-of-warranty service in the U.S., check this contact information (http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9) to request the rma number and let us know if you run into any problems.

2. We may want to wait for someone to check your unit, but because you mentioned your DC jack was smoking, I'm worried your motherboard may be damaged too.
It depends on your plans for the notebook and situation, but if you decide to pay for the motherboard replacement (if it's necessary), just wanted you to make sure you really want to put the money into it, etc. which you probably already considered.
If I'm not making sense, feel free to ignore me :) .

goodwill295
06-23-2013, 05:12 AM
Thanks, and how would I go about having someone check it? Would ASUS be able to check it for me before they replace it or would I be better off going into an authorized repair shop?

cl-Albert
06-24-2013, 04:33 PM
1. If you're interested in sending it to ASUS for out-of-warranty service , please check with ASUS support for the details and request the RMA number if you are interested. Not sure if you noticed the embedded link in my previous post for ASUS U.S. support, but it's copied here: http://www.service.asus.com/#!consumer/csn9

I don't have all the exact details, but expect you will need to cover the shipping to California for out-of-warranty service and if you decide you don't want to fix it, the notebook can be returned to you unrepaired. Check with ASUS support to be sure though and let us know if there are any problems.

2. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like we have many authorized service providers to recommend right now (or I didn't see any listed on our website) although you may also want to double-check with ASUS support if you contact them.
You might also want to check with your store if they are local, but we probably can only recommend sending the unit to us for now.

goodwill295
06-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Thank you for all of the help! I'll be contacting support today.

Edit: The representative told me to take it to best buy and that it would be expensive to ship the laptop to ASUS. However he would not tell me how expensive shipping would be. I think i may just have geek squad take a look at it.

cl-Albert
06-28-2013, 06:04 PM
By the way if you're interested, I found the link here for our ASUS U.S. Authorized Service Centers (http://www.service.asus.com/#!Service Centers/c1tqs) if you want to check with any of them.

They pretty much manage their own out-of-warranty service, so you might also want to check with some of them to see what they can offer.

billyray520
06-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Look at this guy's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCT1v2oVM_c) (he also will do the jack for a fee.)

goodwill295
07-23-2013, 08:35 PM
So, after weeks of debate I have decided that I am going to replace the motherboard myself as it is the cheapest option. It's actually a pretty simple procedure, well compared to resoldering the board. I'll let you guys know if I am successful.

goodwill295
07-25-2013, 07:11 PM
So, maybe I just need to replace the dc jack? I opened up my laptop and I saw where the dc jack had failed so I decided to remove it and well before I removed it, I could see some burns on the board by the dc jack and I have a picture of it after I removed it. Does this look burnt beyond repair or can a new dc jack still connect to the burnt contact?

https://twitter.com/BruisingPenguin/status/360477706015604736
(Sorry, I don't know how to host or post images on my phone)

cl-Albert
07-26-2013, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the picture, but it's not obvious and we probably will not know until a new DC jack is installed.

Also, I can check into your options more if you want to send me a PM at cl-Albert.

goodwill295
08-07-2013, 05:27 AM
I just got the replacement motherboard in today and my laptop is up and running again! Turns out the DC Jack didn't work at all so part of the old motherboard must have been fried.

uxoweaver@hotmail.com
03-03-2014, 06:29 AM
This will be the third time I will have to have the DC jack replaced on my G73SW-A1. This one did not last a month. Does anyone know of a fix for this??? I was very careful about the power cord not pulling on the power jack. Why is the DC jack a weak point on this computer? This laptop canít take the weight of itís own power cord. I spent over $1,700.00 for this laptop. I donít want to have to keep this on a desk to use it. I bought a laptop not a desk top.

uxoweaver@hotmail.com
03-03-2014, 06:36 AM
This will be the third time I will have to have the DC jack replaced on my G73SW-A1. This one did not last a month. Does anyone know of a fix for this??? I was very careful about the power cord not pulling on the power jack. Why is the DC jack a weak point on this computer? This laptop canít take the weight of itís own power cord. I spent over $1,700.00 for this laptop. I donít want to have to keep this on a desk to use it. I bought a laptop not a desk top.