PDA

View Full Version : Battery Charger Replacement G73Jh [solved]

abluejelly
06-19-2013, 10:42 PM
It's the summer of fixing and upgrading my laptop (G73Jh as per title), already added an SSD (and migrated the OS), upped the windows to 7 prof from home prem, did the bios and vbios updates (which fixed the gsods thank god), and upped the RAM to 20 gigs...

Now comes the fun part- the charger.

The charger the thing's supposed to use is a 19.5v/7.7a (roughly 150w) with a 14 x 3 x 2 mm length x outer radius x inner radius (estimates). Sadly the charger's plug became loose (and dangerously shorted) partly due to the poor design of the thing (straight in rather than angled) and partly due to my own less-than-gentle handling (I didn't realize I needed to pamper the damn thing until it was waaaaaay too late).

I've been using a 90w 19v adapter that has miraculously failed to melt or light things on fire, however, I'm unable to run the laptop on full settings with the thing in addition to really only being able to play games at 95% battery or higher (and some it'll still tick down even while plugged in). I've decided to finally fix the charger, but finding a coaxial plug the right size is more of a pain than I expected (though both rocketfish and energizer have the right size). On top of that, it's also neigh-impossible to find a 150w or higher charger anywhere, and 120 seems to be the highest the universals go up to.

Soooo.... What do?

Is the N180W-02 (https://www.asus.com/Adapters_Batteries/180W_G_Series_NB_Adapter_N180W02/) the right size? The G73Jh isn't listed as compatible, but then, Asus seems to have completely purged the JH from its records. If it is the right size, where the hell do I get one, as the voltage is right, the wattage is higher than I need (a Good Thing for a device whose battery exists solely to get you to the next AC outlet), and none of Best Buy, Fry's, xor Newegg seem to carry it.

If not, know where I should go to find the right size coaxial plug? Radioshack didn't have it (unless I wanted a universal adapter's), and Fry's seems to either not have it or never have it in stock (not entirely sure which it is tbh). Or, another option would be to find a coaxial -> universal plug and just use the working adapter I already have, but I highly doubt those actually exist.

If none of the above is possible... Should I get Rocketfish's 120w charger in a hope that it will both be less likely to combust and possibly allow me to tell the graphics card it doesn't have to go max-battery-life in order to just barely not out-draw the charger?

EDIT: Part of the issue was it's G73Jh, I was apparently tripping out while I was recently looking for a fix for this.

cl-Albert
06-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Welcome to the forums!

ASUS has not sold a G75Jh notebook model, so you may want to double-check the model printed underneath, but guessing you have the G73Jh?

Anyway, if you didn't know and are interested, you can also get spare adapters from the U.S. ASUS eStore site.
I see the G73Jh 150W adapter listed and in stock if you want to check this link (http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=720).

abluejelly
06-20-2013, 04:42 AM
Sooo I'm not sure why I was reading every single 3 after a 7 and before a J as a 5, but I apparently was... and I feel incredibly silly because of it ._.

Thanks, that'll entirely fix the issue for me- and hey looks like it's an angled plug as well!

cl-Albert
06-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Sounds good and I'll correct the model in the subject line too so we can pretend it never happened ;).
Actually, you're not the first person that has confused one of our multitude of model names (there have been people mixing up the G75VW and G75VX models before although people seem to be catching on now), so wouldn't feel too bad about it if you have enough things to worry about.