PDA

View Full Version : G75VX Thunderbolt to DisplayPort

DirtyCodingHabitz
06-20-2013, 12:36 AM
I'm planning to get a new monitor from ASUS that has 144hz refresh rate VG248QE (http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/) and I got couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to connect the thunderbolt port from my laptop to the monitor with a DisplayPort?
2. Does HDMI support 144hz? some people say it does and some people say that I need to use the DVI-D cable that comes with the monitor.
3. Is there any difference between DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI in display quality?

These are my laptop Specifications (http://www.mln.com.au/product/?itemID=4277#specs).

All the help with be greatly appreciated :).

Tomislav
06-20-2013, 11:12 AM
1. It should be with the appropriate adapter, thunderbolt is physically the same as mini DP.
2.It's a 1.4a HDMI does not support 144hz (at least not at 1080p).
3.Yes. But they are all capable to display 1080p at 60hz. You should really read about differences online. But basically DisplayPort and DVI-D can output to resolutions larger than 1080p.

PS- this is very basic-you should really research that more. wikipedia is a fine source.

DirtyCodingHabitz
06-20-2013, 01:18 PM
PS- this is very basic-you should really research that more. wikipedia is a fine source.

I already researched all this stuff, but I wasn't sure about the HDMI part because some people said it does support 144hz.

1. It should be with the appropriate adapter, thunderbolt is physically the same as mini DP.

Would you recommend a good quality Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort adaptor cable? I don't wanna go out and end up buying a cheap one lol.

Tomislav
06-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Actually you can go with 2 options, either you buy a mini dp to dp cable, or if you have a dp cable than you can go for the adapter only. Whichever is cheaper I would say. As for companies try: cable matters (it's the name of the company actually :D), startech, even belkin has decent cables ....whatever has gold caps and it's around 10-14$ is a decent cable. I think that adapters are around the same price.

Clintlgm
06-20-2013, 08:17 PM
Your Thunderbolt port is also a mini Display port, so all you should need to get is a Display port to mini display port Cable, In your manual it tells you how to switch the port between Display and Thunderbolt I read this in my owner manual as I thought my G75vw came with TB.

2. I don't know. However I think refresh is controlled by the Video Card, We use HDMI cables on TV Monitors that go up to 240hz or more, that was it last time I looked at TV Monitors? or maybe you need the display port to reach that refresh rate I've seen them with both types of ports.
3. I believe HDMI Port are limited to 1080P While DVI and Display port will display much higher Resolution. I am not really sure on the displayport (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort). My M70 "2008 Era" would run 2500X 1600 on DVI and only 1080 on HDMI This was on a 30" Gateway monitor @60 HZ.