PDA

View Full Version : Possible to install Windows 7 on G750?

Xbcxbc
06-20-2013, 03:17 AM
I just got my G750 and so far I'm very happy with it. The only problem I have is Windows 8, which I really, really hate so far. (The underlying OS is ok, but the UI is not usable. Asus didn't make the OS so no hard feelings for that but I'm trying to see if I can put Windows 7 on this machine and if the current drivers would work.

Any info would be much appreciated - the laptop is great and I'd like to use it without the frustration of Windows 8.

Darknal
06-20-2013, 04:14 AM
if you don't like the "UI" I recommend Start is back which put back the start menu properly. It gives a 30 day free trial and is worth a shot. However, if it something else you dislike about Win 8 I don't think ASUS will release Win 7 drivers because none of G750s come with it.

Xbcxbc
06-20-2013, 04:57 AM
I only have Windows 8 for a few hours - I can see that the OS is not much different from Windows 7 but the UI makes it impossible to access / use the underlying features. So it's not just the lack of the Start menu that bothers me, I could deal with that by creating shortcuts for the various things I need. Hopefully someone from Asus can pitch in with positive news - I'm pretty sure I won't be the only user who'd like to do this (and it'd probably get more sales to Asus if they announced Windows 7 support for these machines).

Tomislav
06-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Well bro that's not quite true. I don't know what features you actually need but they are all here, and you can find perfectly fine and free start menus with all the features of the old win 7 start menu. just google a bit.

MauricioNO
06-20-2013, 02:04 PM
It's just a matter of getting used to W8. I have been using it for few months now and I don't feel like there is anything I could do on W7 that I can't do now. This is how it works, just force yourself to use it for some time and eventually you will get used to everything and might even enjoy one thing or two.

Tomislav
06-20-2013, 02:56 PM
It's just a matter of getting used to W8. I have been using it for few months now and I don't feel like there is anything I could do on W7 that I can't do now. This is how it works, just force yourself to use it for some time and eventually you will get used to everything and might even enjoy one thing or two.
exactly ! as a tech enthusiast you should be open minded. and you'll love the new task manager and copying.

cosmicmango
06-20-2013, 03:14 PM
I just got my G750 and so far I'm very happy with it. The only problem I have is Windows 8, which I really, really hate so far. (The underlying OS is ok, but the UI is not usable. Asus didn't make the OS so no hard feelings for that but I'm trying to see if I can put Windows 7 on this machine and if the current drivers would work.

Any info would be much appreciated - the laptop is great and I'd like to use it without the frustration of Windows 8.

I would waiting until June 26th when Microsoft releases Windows 8.1 the link below details some of the changes.

http://www.askvg.com/exclusive-windows-8-1-features-list/

cl-Albert
06-20-2013, 09:23 PM

Don't consider myself a Win8 expert and this may not help you much, but if you end up struggling through Win8, below are my 3 suggestions to make Win8 easier to use. There are more out there, so you may want to let us know any specific issues you are having.
Your G750 user manual should have some info about using Win8 too if you haven't checked it.

1. If you didn't think of it this way right now, the Win8 UI is your Start menu now that you can customize, so put whatever you want there and click to open it instead of the old Win7 way of Start menu/programs, etc. although you probably used desktop shortcuts.
a. If you wanted to, you could include a 'task' like opening File explorer in the Startup tasks to boot to the desktop instead or just install one of those third party Start menu programs that people have been suggesting.

2. At the Windows UI, just start typing (you don't need to open the search 'charm' first) for whatever you want to do like find a program, setting, or file and the Win8 search menu will open automatically and start searching for you. Just be sure to choose the correct category if you are looking for settings, files, or apps.

3. Personally, I like this a lot as well as item #2 above, but right click in the bottom left-hand corner to pull up the menu of many commonly used items like device manager, disk management, file explorer, etc. There is a way to edit this menu, but I haven't tried that.

Yeah, I wasn't real happy using Win8 when it first came out since I was comfortable with Win7, but as you get more familiar with it and learn how to do the things you want, you will probably miss Win7 less and less and probably find some things are easier with Win8 now as well.

Hope this helps!

_
06-21-2013, 02:49 AM
Stardock's Smart8 has helped me immensely. If you really cannot get on with the modern UI it will reinstate the desktop as the major function.

Xbcxbc
06-21-2013, 03:42 AM
Stardock's Smart8 has helped me immensely. If you really cannot get on with the modern UI it will reinstate the desktop as the major function.

Marshall & cl-Albert: thanks, I knew about these already. The various Start Screen related tips won't work for me - I want to get rid of that completely since it's low-density, unorganized crap. I may give a try to Start8 or Classic UI - it's not that I miss Windows 7 (the Windows 8 desktop is pretty much the same) but security and other mindless changes made using the OS a massive chore. I only rarely use the machine for playing - I need to run massive productivity programs and the inefficiency of Windows 8 is a major slowing-down factor.

I'd understand if Asus doesn't release Windows 7 drivers, since they don't claim it's supported but I'd appreciate it anyway. I may even be willing to pay a small downgrade fee just to get to an environment that's conducive to working in it.

Xbcxbc
06-21-2013, 03:49 AM
exactly ! as a tech enthusiast you should be open minded. and you'll love the new task manager and copying.

Sure, the new task manager is quite a bit better than before but it's... lacking, to say the least. It's really not that hard to be better than the old Task Manager.

As for copying: I haven't used Windows Explorer for copying since Windows 98. There are programs that are orders of magnitude more efficient at copying files (actually, they're better at pretty much anything that Windows Explorer is supposed to do).

There's nothing to love about a piece of software - it's a tool, just like a hammer or a screwdriver. If Microsoft released Microsoft Hammer(tm), it'd have a shiny plastic head and a bent handle. And it'd prevent you from holding a nail at the same time.

razgriz988
09-26-2013, 05:30 AM
G750JH-DB71
Intel Core i7-4700HQ Processor 2.4GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
(2) 128GB SSD (RAID) - WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE (64-bit) - 1TB 5400RPM HDD (STORAGE)

Hi all,
I bought a new G750JX last month and i have the same problem of this post: don't like w8 too much.
I read in sign that cosmicmango have a JH with w7 so....what drivers did u used for it? :-)
Thanks a lot in advance for reply,

Raz

vookudlak
09-28-2013, 08:21 PM
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/an/en/andhs1/driverdetails?driverid=6T70N download this driver its a dell driver but it works perfectly on the g750 models

vookudlak
09-28-2013, 08:21 PM
it is the only driver i found to make the wireless work on my pc

cosmicmango
09-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Hi all,
I bought a new G750JX last month and i have the same problem of this post: don't like w8 too much.
I read in sign that cosmicmango have a JH with w7 so....what drivers did u used for it? :-)
Thanks a lot in advance for reply,

Raz

If you do a goggle search - Windows 7 clean install Asus G750JX - it’s the top thread – all the drivers are there.

Nillaz
09-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Xbc, before you go wiping and reinstalling your entire machine why don't you give a start button program like Start8 a shot first? You can try it for free (time limited but uncrippled) and then decide which way to go. It gives you back pretty much all of the functionality of Windows 7 while retaining the benefits of Windows 8.

Ravage6652
09-29-2013, 05:08 PM
When I first started up my laptop and got the windows 8 screen I was like wow ok this is different, ok where is the ............ ok how do i .......... I have to do what to get ................ but after playing around with it the rage slowly faded to the point I now want to get windows 8 for my desktop now.

I think the biggest problem with a first impression of windows 8 is they hammer you with a screen full of useless crap bloatware that you look at and say I don't use any of this garbage how do i get to the stuff that I use ? The start page once I removed everything but the desktop button and started putting on useful stuff I found it kinda good. Steam games wouldnt be placed on the start page so the rage started building but then I googled it and found you can easily do it so again the rage faded and its all rainbows and unicorns again :)

Not many people like change and most hate it what microsoft needed to do was ease people into the new style not overwhelm them with all the stupid icons that nobody uses. Took me a day of playing with it to accept the new layout and once you figure out how to customize the start page with stuff you want and use it really started being good

Pierre990429
09-29-2013, 06:46 PM
You can try Classic Shell, it's free. And you can boot straight to the desktop. I haven't "seen" metro since I installed it.

hmscott
09-29-2013, 08:19 PM
You can try Classic Shell, it's free. And you can boot straight to the desktop. I haven't "seen" metro since I installed it.

Classic Shell and 8GadgetPack works for me.

With Classic Shell I can disable Charms and go directly into the Desktop at boot/login. 8GadgetPack gets back the gadgets I like to have up, with/without a Sidebar underlay.

s3v3n
10-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Desapointed, all my life i had Asus pcs. And now i both G750 model from ASUS with windows 8. Since i dont like W8 i tray to install W7 but Asus doenst provid drives... MY god..

It will be my last laptop from ASUS.

Really desapointed with ASUS.

nullbyte
10-10-2013, 07:43 PM
I still find Windows 7 to be more robust. I couldn't even uninstall the bloatware ASUS put on there from McAfee completely until I wiped the machine. Still trying to find Windows 7 driver workarounds though.

hmscott
10-10-2013, 08:31 PM
I still find Windows 7 to be more robust. I couldn't even uninstall the bloatware ASUS put on there from McAfee completely until I wiped the machine. Still trying to find Windows 7 driver workarounds though.

McAfee uninstall issues, on all versions of Windows, are epic.

Here is an amusing video by Mr. McAfee talking about uninstall problems :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

I agree, Windows 8 has room for improvement - but so have all new releases of Windows as far back as 1.0 :)

Maybe Windows 8.1 will fix some of the problems... it is just a few days away... October 17th

nullbyte
10-11-2013, 01:53 PM
So for the record I was able to do a fresh formatted install of Windows 7 Professional on the ASUS G750JW with an "almost" clean device manager. The only exclamation mark left is mapping to the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host ControllIr. That and for whatever reason I can't connect with the wireless although it recognizes the card. I think it still has something to do with the keyboard fn-f2 keys not allowing me to toggle it on. Pressing it no longer toggles the wireless light on or off, it's just always off even though I have the keyboard filters properly installed. Everything else works though.

If you download all the drivers from ASUS (the Windows 8 versions) and unzip them all you can let windows browse that folder and all subdirectories to pick out the drivers it can use for each device under Windows 7 which is almost all of them.

If anyone has a work around for my above 2 issues I would love to know.

*edit* - Just saw a previous post which pointed me towards some other drivers. Going to try them out now and see what more I can get to work.

*edit* - This link has a working driver set for my aforementioned USB controller driver problem:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/22824/eng/Intel%28R%29_USB_3.0_eXtensible_Host_Controller_Dr iver.zip

I also found this page incredibly useful, this guy put together a lot of links to help resolve these Windows 7 driver issues:

http://forums.**********.com/showthread.php?p=230

Wow, lame, ASUS site wont even let me post links to help their customers :( The stars above should say **********.... "t-w-e-a-k-a-r-e-n-a" good lord! (without the minus signs of course).

Cykon
10-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Wow, lame, ASUS site wont even let me post links to help their customers :( The stars above should say **********.... "t-w-e-a-k-a-r-e-n-a" good lord! (without the minus signs of course).

The author of the website (who has been banned from these forums as well) has been promoting illegal distribution of software - namely Windows 8.1 which has been leaked i.e., hasn't been officially released. Although users may find this website helpful, ASUS can be held liable for damages allowing such links on the forums, that is why the website has been blacklisted.

Duke of Alinor
11-03-2013, 01:56 AM

Perhaps this is the BIG reason I hate 8. I don't want another forced UI change, months of looking up things I know how to do is just bad. I have better things to do with my time than learn new UI's that are less productive and more arcane. Unfortunately Microsoft owns gaming.

Redvahido
11-06-2013, 05:34 AM
I suggest some one who has all the drivers of the G750JW should upload them in an iso file. I hate windows 8 as well. Today I started using my G750JW for the first time and it was a total adventure just to "down grade" to windows 7 ultimate. There are 3 drivers in my notebook that are missing and I don't even know what are the manufacturers. I can't control the light of my keyboard and many of the features like muting. I have downloaded many drivers that just are not the correct and software that was supposed to help me find drivers a huge waste of time. Starting form looking the drivers of the graphic card. :confused::mad:

edit:
For the ones that are looking the drives for the keyboard backlight features. Are in here:
Notebook ATK package:
http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ATK_package&os=30

I just downloaded all the drives, I only want to back them up to share them with you.

But if you don't want to wait or for some reason I cant upload them; google "ASUS G750JW Windows 7 clean install guide" and check in the tw3akar3na f0rum results.

Thanks again Nehmia!! :D

hidinc
01-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Just upgraded to 8.1. Went to create system image and "Class not registered (0x80040154) Close Windows Backup and try again." Made the 8.0 system image without a hitch. From what I read, 8.1 system image is broken. Considering downgrade to Windows 7 Pro. I have some older programs that I need from time to time. Is there a way to run an xp virtual machine in Win 8 ?

gazzacbr
01-06-2014, 07:09 AM
@hidinc: forget win 8.1.
clean install win 8 (from Windows 8 Single language version) or Windows 7.

I have Win XP 32 running fine in Oracle VM Virtualbox, which is free ;)
Only downside is there is no graphics acceleration as there are no 32bit drivers for the GTX cards.
(if you do find one please let me know)
Its fairly easy to set up from a XP install cd

success.erven
01-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Asus. Please do make a Windows 7 Drivers for our ROG G750, that would be much appreciated. God bless to all.

hozer
01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Yes you can run W7 on a G750. All you have to do is to Install W7. 95% of W8 drivers will install on W7. The USB driver you can get from the Intel Website. Works for me. That is what I had to do. If push comes to shove you can run W8 then install Classic Shell its free and it will make W8 look like W7. You can get most of all the drivers from the Asus Website!

Hozerdude -------> A W8 Hater!

hozer
01-28-2014, 01:57 PM
Asus. Please do make a Windows 7 Drivers for our ROG G750, that would be much appreciated. God bless to all.

Just for your info.... These forums are for user's only. Any Suggestions you need to bring to their attention you must do it on the Asus website. Sucks HUH?

hozer
01-28-2014, 01:58 PM

Just for your info.... These forums are for user's only. Any Suggestions to Asus you need to bring to their attention you must do it on the Asus website not this website. Sucks HUH?

Nehmia
01-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Just for your info.... These forums are for user's only. Any Suggestions to Asus you need to bring to their attention you must do it on the Asus website not this website. Sucks HUH?

yes and they never reply. they probably use google translate to read our emails and understand nothing.

I have found all the correct drivers for Windows 7 but there is this erratic keyboard bug where it suddenly jumps and decides to type something else. other than that, I have found all the drivers but I can't live with that typing bug :( thus, I was forced to go back to Windows 8.1 which doesn't have that keyboard typing problem at all

Shirflex
07-20-2014, 05:31 PM
guys if you don't like windows 8's UI you really should try Start8. it really saved me. anyway i would like the windows 7 drivers. (games still run a bit better on windows 7 and i have less problems connecting my phone via bluetooth and using the webcam wich fails on windows 8)

FalconFX
07-20-2014, 08:41 PM
I had the same issue when i got my JH 2 days ago, i couldnt even access Computer !!!!, but now im fine with it, i had a thought to install win7, but not anymore, im enjoying some pretty games on Ulra settings LOL :D, just give it a shot and be patient, you will like it

kbabs17
11-20-2014, 03:35 PM
I see this thread hasn't been updated in awhile. Just a quick edit, as someone who had frustrating issues with my G750JM and Win 8.1. I was unable to find Win 7 drivers from Asus when I purchased the laptop. I'm not sure when, but Windows 7 drivers are now available from the Asus Website (http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1). Hope this helps those who thought they were stuck with Win 8.

The Final Ep
12-19-2014, 05:08 AM
Okay lads, here is my Asus G750 JW running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. A pain to install and find all drivers but it is possible http://gyazo.com/79279b55fc809958373b9764f8e9e2fd

Gyazo: http://gyazo.com/79279b55fc809958373b9764f8e9e2fd

kylevu
08-18-2015, 01:22 AM
Okay lads, here is my Asus G750 JW running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. A pain to install and find all drivers but it is possible http://gyazo.com/79279b55fc809958373b9764f8e9e2fd

Gyazo: http://gyazo.com/79279b55fc809958373b9764f8e9e2fd\

do you mind share the drivers thanks.

deskjockytoo
08-22-2015, 08:50 PM
Here is my experience: (It took a while to make it through all of the steps)

When I received the new laptop, it came with Win8 on the hard drive. I do not like Win8, I pulled the drive out and installed two drives that were in my previous laptop. (Win7 Pro).

I have been able to get the laptop running and the keys are now working. I used the processes (excluding the install of Win7 - since my drives were already formatted and the programs I needed were loaded there too.) outlined in the link below.

http://forum.maxgeeks.net/showthread.php?t=162

Everything is working great now.
Good luck.

deskjockytoo
08-22-2015, 09:49 PM
My apologies, I did not check the link before I posted it. It does not work any longer.

On the upside, I have upgraded to Win10, and the only thing that does not seem to work is the track pad.