PDA

View Full Version : G46 powers on for a second then powers off ):

Thatasian
06-21-2013, 06:11 AM
so i had my g46 for about 2 weeks now, and while i was playing farcry 3 on it and a windows 8 error message came up and said that my computer was shutting down unexpectedly and was collecting data . now when i press the power button the cpu, battery, wireless lights come on but the screen remains black and shuts off in about 2 seconds. whats going on?

core I-5 edition

Pitcher@asus
06-21-2013, 06:24 AM
are you OC? you mean when you press power button light come on, but screen black and can not see BIOS post? could you try connect external monitor to try it?

Thatasian
06-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Yeah oc'd my gpu around +100 to core and +250 to memory clocks, temp stayed average of 60~75
And yes, the screen remains off and no bios at all. Normally when i boot up no bios is prompted at all, just boots into lockscreen within 10 seconds, guess because the ssd.

Thatasian
06-21-2013, 06:41 AM
Also, when i plug the charger in, the charging indicator lights on, if that helps..:(

chrsplmr
06-21-2013, 01:01 PM
You could try the external monitor like suggested above .. if no joy then ..

I'd say, generally if a computer, 'powers on for a second then powers off' it has 'seen' something it does not like.
ie .. loose, unseated memory [if it wasn't properly seating and the laptop/computer was jarred] or the cpu fan is
not powering on .. or it no longer see the HD .. which should be a 'stop' seen in the onscreen bios readout, so this
is the most unlikely .. something along those lines.

If there were some sort of bios reset to undo the OC on the gpu .. that would be handy.
How long have you had this G ? Is there return time left to send it back to the retailer ??
Otherwise it's looking like you may be headed to RMA town.
Where are you located ?? c.

Thatasian
06-28-2013, 12:37 AM
okay so, when i took out the top most ram stick it boots on just fine like nothing happened, but when the ram stick is inserted on the outer most compartment, the problem persists, can this be covered by warrenty? i have the basic asus warrenty

Thatasian
06-28-2013, 12:45 AM
nevermind, the something was wrong with one of the ram sticks.... cant believe it just malfunctioned like that within 3 weeks....

chrsplmr
06-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Good catch. Have you tried the two different sticks in the slot that works to troubleshoot
whether it is the memory or the slot ???

edit:
is it the stick or the slot ???

Thatasian
06-28-2013, 12:48 AM
thanks for the help chrsplmr +1 rep

chrsplmr
07-01-2013, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the Thanks and the Rep .. It is my pleasure, I assure you.
Anytime/Anything from All of Us.c.