PDA

View Full Version : Please help!!! G46vw

ZMoore
06-23-2013, 03:40 AM
Hey Guys,

Ok so I recently purchased my Asus G46VW and I love it. However the only thing that irked me about it was the Hard Drive
so I decided to upgrade it to a Solid State Drive (Crucial M500 240GB SSD).
Realizing this wasn't going to be easy since there is no service hatch, I stumbled across the Disassembly Video on
Youtube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Ut1FGFj0s )
the video was excellent in showing me what I would be getting myself into and greatly aided in my installation of this drive.

So here were my steps tell me what might have happened:

Step 1 Booted up ASUS G46VW
Step 2 Used EZ GIG IV by Apricorn to clone my 750gb HDD to my new 240gb SSD
Step 3 Shut Down ASUS G45VW and waited a few hours
Step 4 Disassembled ASUS G46VW and Installed New Crucial SSD
Step 5 Reassembled ASUS G46VW
Step 6 Attempted to Boot Up

Immediately get hit with the Windows 8 RECOVERY screen Error code 0xc000025
My options are:
Press Enter to try again (Nothing Happens)
Press f8 for Startup Settings (Nothing Happens)
Pres Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings (Takes me to BIOS)
(NOTE: BIOS recognizes the Crucial SSD so I assume this is correctly installed.)

What went wrong? How do I fix it? Do I need to put the old HDD back in and try and clone again?
(NOTE: The old 750GB is currently in an external drive enclosure if that helps)

DirkHardeck
06-24-2013, 03:57 AM
Generally you have to fool with the MBR (Master Boot Record) first, but for some reason that did not work for me with the G46 and/or Windows 8. I tend to blame Win8. A clean install is your other option.

If you "acquire" an .iso of Windows 8 and install it from a disc or usb, it will read the activation key embedded in your BIOS. Worked like a charm for me. Don't forget, if you use MS's tool to create a USB boot drive, you have to copy the data from it, format it to FAT32, then copy it back in order for your computer to recognize it as a bootable drive in BIOS.

MS won't allow you to download a copy of Win8 with OEM key and manufacturers aren't including the discs :mad:

ZMoore
06-25-2013, 03:13 PM
Thank you Dirk!

I did indeed have to do a fresh install using an OEM Windows 8 .iso er disk I "acquired" and using an external dvd drive. The SSD has to be completely unallocated in order to be set up as GPT it cannot have a single partition on it in order to function properly. For some reason Windows 8 does not like MBR maybe if I disabled Secure Boot in BIOS but then whats the point of the M500 SSD?

So in conclusion it finally works but it wasn't easy and it took a lot of searching for solutions, some sagely advice (Dirk), a phone call to Crucial, and a lot (f-ton) of patience.

DirkHardeck
06-26-2013, 10:01 PM
Glad you got it sorted! I spent the better part of a day tangling with it, but it's definitely worth adding an mSATA or 2.5 SSD as well as a clean install. My G46 went from horribly sluggish to possibly more responsive than my main gaming desktop.

ZMoore
06-28-2013, 02:12 AM
I agree with you on that! it is definitely worth adding an SSD or mSATA SSD.

My Crucial M500 helps this thing boot ridiculously fast! like maybe 5 seconds. It takes me longer to input my lock screen password than it does to boot up.

It will be some time before I put an mSATA in this thing, it was too much of a pain just to get the main SSD to work and the mSATA is on the underside of the motherboard (yikes!).

Maybe I will do it in time though I am curious about possibly running a Linux Distro on the mSATA though and I would rather not partition due to space limitations of SSDs.