PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a G75VW-RS72, one thing holding me back

fwbfwb
06-23-2013, 04:54 AM
Sound problems!

After reading gripes about sound in almost every review of this laptop, my search led me to this forum's sticky. After reading through it all, I'm still not clear, is the issue actually fixed or not? If I buy one of these and follow the steps will I be able to not notice any issues? Will the sound be comparable or better than my 4 year old Dell studio's UBL speakers + sub? Right now I'm deciding between two laptops with nearly identical specs, the RS72 or MSI's GT70. I've read raving reviews (http://forum.notebookreview.com/msi/660266-viciousxusmcs-ultimate-msi-gt70-unboxing-review.html#) about the MSI laptop which give it extra props for having great sound. I can find the RS72 for slightly cheaper so it would be my final choice if I was confident about its sound (I primarily use laptop speakers for gaming and movies).

edit: any other helpful info about G75VW-RS72 vs MSI GT70-0ND-204US is welcome

SHADO
06-23-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't recall exactly what the sound issues were all about (nor do I care to look), but one issue I have found with the G75VW regarding sound is the fact that the "subwoofer" is located under the left side of the laptop. As a result, much more sound comes from the left side of the laptop than from the right side. Not sure if it is as big a deal when playing games or watching movies, but the unbalanced sound (left to right) really sucks when listening to music. And there is no cure as far as I know. I just use external speakers all of the time, thus circumventing the issue. Although for someone that needs their laptop to be mobile (mine just sits in one place all the time), that wouldn't work very easily. As for the actual QUALITY of the sound, I'm no expert regarding laptop speakers. Sorry I'm not more help.

FWIW, for me, the sound has been the only issue I've had with my G75VW. Otherwise, it has been a stellar performer.

Clintlgm
06-23-2013, 12:27 PM
As far as I can tell, the subwoofer issue has not been solved in the G75 VW, we all are working around the fact that the sub woofer is not a Sub Woofer all sound ranges go through it. In the later versions of the Software the LFE is now called a Bass speaker. They changed from VIA Sound to real tech in the G75VX models, not sure if that solved the issue or not. The G750 are coming out it remains to be seen if the Sound issues have been solved in this new model? This NB speakers do not compare to my last NB a Asus M70sa 2008 vintage. this does not bother me since I have accepted this and use Head phone or external speaker when I need quality sound.

TokoDude
06-23-2013, 12:42 PM
You can easily improve the sound to a normal good state on the G75VW

Well could you give us the link where you are going to buy these computers what is the price?

As far i already know that laptop has only 1 FAN and the cooling system on the G75VW is way better than this one, it’s really quiet and much lower temperatures. The MSI makes really big noise when your gaming and the ASUS has no annoying hard sound while gaming.
And it’s all plastic all around and I really don't like that but that’s my opinion

+The good point of the MSI is that Graphic card is switchable
+Backlight on the keyboard can be changed in difference colours

TokoDude
06-23-2013, 12:45 PM

Well could you give us the link where you are going to buy these computers what is the price?

As far i already know that laptop has only 1 FAN and the cooling system on the G75VW is way better than this one, itís really quiet and much lower temperatures. The MSI makes really big noise when your gaming and the ASUS has no annoying hard sound while gaming.
And itís all plastic all around and I really don't like that but thatís my opinion

+The good point of the MSI is that Graphic card is switchable
+Backlight on the keyboard can be changed in difference colours

SHADO
06-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Your definition of "normal good state" must be different from mine. ;)

finalhour
06-24-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm content enough with my laptop's speakers...I mean if it's a huge enough deal to you use headphones or if you're an audiophile, use external speakers of high quality like studio monitors or something ( I have a pair but I don't keep my computer in one place long enough to justify connecting them up and using them). I mean there are so many other good features about the G75 that this one issue shouldn't dissuade you. I guess I dont have huge expectations of laptop speakers--and the G75 has other great design features (aside from some screen issues in the G75VW) like the awesome cooling (due to the design of the vents, etc) that an MSI laptop of equal cost probably lacks (most MSI's I've seen in the past have cooling issues). the G75 also feels less cheap then most MSI machines I've seen, the keyboard doesn't flex like most MSI and other laptops do (including other ASUS models I've owned).

Mcblazer0
06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
I bought a MSI GT70 with the GTX 675 Video chip ( don't remember the exact model#) and exchanged it for my Asus 3 days later... The sound was better but the laptop construction was "cheap" imo. Cooling is another big draw back compared to my Asus with it's dual fans. The housing of the MSI was glossy black which looked nice when it was clean but showed every fingerprint and smudge quickly (always wiping your new laptop clean). I love my Asus and am glad I made the switch... Both laptops were pricey for me and it was a hard decision at the time but I am glad I got the Asus instead... hope this helps...