PDA

View Full Version : :mad: Made a repaste job on my G75VW and got 2 too 0 decrease in temerature.

nirO
06-23-2013, 06:52 PM
as the title says i repasted my laptop and temps are still high ... in idle with a room temp of 26-28 he has is at 55-57 and before the repaste it was like 57-59 or so.

anyone has any clue what could be the problem?

EDIT: btw the paste job was not done by me since i never did it before... had a guy do it for me since he done it before and he used AS 5 paste

ggBanks
06-23-2013, 08:48 PM
The only 2 things I can think about is that either the guy doesn't know what he's doing, or you have some piece of software installed that starts with your windows and stresses the hardware.

nirO
06-23-2013, 09:00 PM
The only 2 things I can think about is that either the guy doesn't know what he's doing, or you have some piece of software installed that starts with your windows and stresses the hardware.

well i dont think its from software since i use hw info and the gpu is not under load so that it gets stressed

so it would me the guy didt do a good paste job...? also funny he said the past almost gone but even after hes repaste i get about same temps...

could be a problem with the card it self?

Dreamonic
06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Your idle temps are ridiculously high. You should be hovering in the mid 30's with a repaste for both GPU and CPU. I'm with ggBanks on this one.

It's possible as some people still don't get it with pasting, is you do not spread it with your finger or card. The method is spot applied. It's also possible he used too thick of thermal pads so the GPU is not making complete contact with the sink. Another thing could be fan isn't working properly while heat is generated at a rate the heat sink can dissipate, especially during idle.

You must have the 670m?

nirO
06-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Your idle temps are ridiculously high. You should be hovering in the mid 30's with a repaste for both GPU and CPU. I'm with ggBanks on this one.

It's possible as some people still don't get it with pasting, is you do not spread it with your finger or card. The method is spot applied. It's also possible he used too thick of thermal pads so the GPU is not making complete contact with the sink. Another thing could be fan isn't working properly while heat is generated at a rate the heat sink can dissipate, especially during idle.

You must have the 670m?

yes i got a 670m the fan speet for a 57C is at 2600-2700RPM ... when i play for ex World of tanks it gets up too 79-82(if i dont alt tab more then 20min or so) and RPM go up too 3600-3700RPM

the CPU goes up too 71c but its also same like before..... the CPU did not heat that bad before either.

about that guy ..cant say how he did the paste did not saw it... i still think if he did it before he should know.. and thats why i ask my self if its something with the card wrong.

Dreamonic
06-24-2013, 01:54 AM
I'm going to put this in perspective for you nir0 now that I gathered more information.

There has been more accounts of our factory paste having been applied poorly that the only remedy is to do a repaste yourself. Under those circumstances the results will show much improvement from a repaste than those who's paste from the factory was properly applied.

Another thing to point out is the 670m is a Fermi card (as you must know by now) which generally runs warmer than the Kepler cards like the 660m and 670mx on load. Your GPU and CPU temps look normal under load according to what you posted, however something must be loading the GPU for idle temps to be that high. Your fans during idle should be around 2000rpm for both. Nothing is wrong with your card, it could be locked P-state clocks from certain drivers or updated one you are using. We don't know what you have installed on your system, so start logging your card during startup with GPU-Z and go from there.

What this shows you is your factory paste was still good and by doing a repaste your results clearly show that.

nirO
06-24-2013, 03:14 AM
as i said.. the GPU does not look to be under load ... i use hwinfo64 to check that.... and yes i know that it should be at 2000 RPM but thats when hes under 51C.

maybe it so high bcuz of the room temp? (26-28 i got)

btw what i forgot to mention... it used to stay on 49 on idle but one day i overclocked it to play World of tanks too see how much it FPS incrise i got ... and it went yoo 86C after that after i`ve reset the overclock it stayed on a 57 idle.... without any load on it...

so i think the bad factory paste it had it got destroyed ... so thats why i decided i have to repaste fast. and the guy who did the paste said old paste was in a very bad shape.

could it be something wrong from the overclock i did back then?

Clintlgm
06-24-2013, 03:39 AM
My Ambient temp is almost 26 my average CPU temp is 50.9 my GPU is running 38, Asus Repair put in a new motherboard about a month ago. I'm running normal crap in the back ground and IE 10 with Hwinfo64 open for readings. this seems a little higher than normal on the CPU for me I'm usually in the mid 40.

nirO
06-24-2013, 03:57 AM
here is a print screen with GPU-z and HWinfo64 u can see its not under load and my room temp at the moment is 26C

Dreamonic
06-24-2013, 05:25 AM
Hmmm..

It's possible that your room temperature, perhaps the location of where your laptop is exhausting heat towards..

We went through so many possibilities. The fact that your GPU temperature on load isn't out of the norm, means good enough.

Just keep an eye on it in the cooler times of day.

nirO
06-24-2013, 06:01 AM
found out why it was so bad in idle... i played with the global 3d setting from nvidia control pannel...made a clean reinstal of drivers and temps dropped at 45-46 in idle with room temp of 26....

still after the repaste i should get better temps out both in idle or full load... in furmark test i stil hit 92C in 5 min...

so temps are like before just that the high idle where from my mistake... so its like the guy never did a paste job on it lol

Dreamonic
06-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Was your power management mode setting set to "Maximum Performance" instead of "Adaptive" ? :)

Don't go by Furmark, go by the temp readings you get in-game.

nirO
06-24-2013, 07:16 AM
yes and not only :-s ... i`ve put all settings on and max i could lol... thats why the high idle...

anyways...

still considering that others get a 75-80 max in furmark... thats much for mine so...

but what i do now is i took the big cover down from where the GPU went is... and i have a cooling pad with 3 fans that run up too 1800 RPM and it gives me up too 10 degree less in furmark also in games so now i get a 66C in world of tanks with cover off and 82 in furmark or so...

Dreamonic
06-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Good job! Yes, removing the bottom cover does in fact lower temps a fair bit, then when you add a cooler to it, it's another way to drop several more degrees. As long as you are satisfied with everything, then it's time to start enjoying your G.

nirO
06-24-2013, 09:57 PM
well i guess u are right but i`m still pissed about the repaste that it didt have any effect ... besides i dont know if its good to take bottom cover off

Dreamonic
06-25-2013, 01:07 AM
I understand the frustration, but it's working nonetheless.

Having the bottom cover off is fine, just don't be transporting your laptop to and from with it removed; Common sense.