PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question regarding overclock

kivvyy
06-24-2013, 04:03 AM
Hey community, i have a really dumb question to ask (please dont bash me :[ ) Since overclocking increase the voltage of the laptop, does that mean my laptop screen brightness or keyboard backlit can be brighter as well? I know its dumb =[ But its there other way to increase keyboard backlit brightness? G46vw

Gumwars
06-24-2013, 04:14 AM
Overclocking the GPU may be done to a point without affecting it's voltage consumption. With the Ivy Bridge processors, they can't be overclocked (technically they dynamically overclock as a product feature, aka, Turboboost). Other components in the laptop such as display and keyboard backlighting are potentially limited by the hardware in how much voltage can pass through them without compromising the device. The screen and LEDs that light the keyboard would probably need to be replaced for versions that are brighter but I'd imagine you might need a custom BIOS to take advantage of it.

DirkHardeck
06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
You would need to purchase a new LCD display, however, not many are compatible with the G46. As for the keyboard backlighting, some LED's are brighter than others even with the same amount of voltage, you might talk to someone at HIDevolution (an official reseller) as they do custom keyboard backlighting and might be able to help you with soldering in some new ones if you really want.

I have a dumb question to ask you -- you have turned the brightness of your keyboard all the way up with the function key, yes? I find the stock lighting to be brighter than most full-size gaming keyboards I have owned. As for the monitor, I would also assume you have maxed the brightness, and yes....it doesn't do very well.

Zygomorphic
06-25-2013, 01:36 AM
Increasing the brightness of the keyboard is totally different, since it is a function of the current running through the keyboard (brighter LEDs draw more current). I haven't found the brightness on my G53SX to be a problem, since Whenever it is bright enough to wash out the keyboard, it is bright enough to easily read the keys.