PDA

View Full Version : G73JH Hard Drive Failures Help

Toasterb
06-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Recently the boot drive for the G73JH-A1 died on me, and so far I've tried 3 different hard drive replacements and all of them has failed. I'm trying to figure out if there is something else wrong with the laptop, or if somehow I'm having really bad luck with the replacement drives.

The original Seagate 500GB I use as the main drive failed after over 3 years of use about three weeks ago. (The second 500gb drive has no issues as far as I can tell. It's really only used as a backup drive.) Initially I purchased a 1TB HGST drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145875) to replace it. After about 2 weeks of use and hearing intermittent loud clicking noises, I ran into BSOD issues and decided to wipe and exchange the drive. The replacement drive lasted a day and had clicking noises and beeping sounds right off the bat while trying to reimage the drive. HGST support warned not to reimage and do a fresh install instead, but a Windows 7 install didn't work and this drive was also returned.

I had went ahead and got the 750GB version of the HGST drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145521) last Friday. Also, I swapped ports with the existing Seagate 500GB drive and did a fresh install of Windows 7. Everything worked out fine at first. But today, while booting up the laptop the HGST drive made loud clicking noises again and screeching sounds while spinning. The laptop locked up and it wouldn't boot up again. It seems this drive now has died.

That's 3 HGST drives dead in my G73JH. Could there be something else wrong in my laptop that caused the drives to fail? Or are HGST drives somehow incompatible with the G73? Or am I just running into a bad streak of luck and somehow got 3 bad drives in a row? At this point I have no choice but to go with a different manufacturer altogether and avoid HGST drives. But if another hard drive fails, I may have to get a new laptop altogether, but I'm not ready yet to replace my G73 as I think it still has some years left.

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Pitcher@asus
06-25-2013, 02:11 AM
are you check you HDD bay, is it broke in same hdd bay?

billyray520
06-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Are you putting in SATA III drives? I think the G73jh only has SATA II. I know they should still work, as SATA III is supposed to be downward compatible. What about a SATA II drive? I've been using a Intel X25m SSD without any issues. (SATA II)

cl-Albert
06-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not too sure what the problem is either and sounds like you even installed the HGST drives in both bays.

This may not help much, but if you aren't already doing this, just wanted to make sure you were using the hard drive housing and the hard drive was securely screwed into it, and the hard drive housing is securely screwed into the notebook so that there is no physical movement of the hard drive while it's in use (and while the notebook is not in use during transport).

Toasterb
06-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Yes, the hard drives were SATA III drives. Didn't think it would be an issue though. Everything was securely screwed in also.

I've had the chance now to test the drive in an enclosure, and connected on another computer there were no issues at all, so it's may be some sort of issue with the SATA controller or ribbon. Curiously the second Seagate drive never had a problem, but since it's rarely used, maybe the symptoms don't have a chance to show.

In any case, I'm retiring my G73 and moving on. I've already had to replace certain external parts and it feels as though it's a matter of time before something internal fails.