PDA

View Full Version : External Graphics through ASUS G750 Thunderbolt possible! (Desktop cards)

AntDX316
06-25-2013, 10:13 PM
http://hexus.net/tv/show/2013/06/SilverStone_dabbles_with_external_graphics_and_sto rage_heavy_mITX

starts at 02:02

was thinking, it's a good idea to get so you can take out your main desktop card (if it's better than your laptops) when you gotta go travel then put it back in the main when you come back

Let's hope ASUS is making their own version that would work with the 4700HQ so the I/O's would show to result in more FPS than the 4700MQ by a lot. If this becomes possible people would probably go this route than main desktop PC completely for gaming.

Tomislav
06-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Development of this technology was long anticipated, and it was one of the main reasons I bought my G75vx. This makes all the thunderbolt enabled laptops more future proof. Thing is that this didn't hit the market yet, so hopefully when it does nVidia & AMD will provide drivers for this to work. However I'm not sure that thunderbolt's bandwidth is enough to run PCIe 3.0 GPU's. So it remains to be seen how this tehnology will be implemented. Hopefully the mobile CPU's won't bottleneck. I'm looking forward to this, imagine having a true desktop like performance on a laptop. Awesome!

AntDX316
06-27-2013, 08:18 AM
I did extensive research and found only those with HD 4000 graphics can use their laptop monitor to display the graphics card images.

The thunderbolt port on a 6 series chipset (we have 8 on this) is x4 2.0 which is eq. to a pcie 2.0 x16 at 90% bandwidth.

I think silverstone is doing all they can to make it work before they release the final product. (patents for full monopoly)

Clerbois
06-27-2013, 08:29 AM
[...]
The thunderbolt port on a 6 series chipset (we have 8 on this) is x4 2.0 which is eq. to a pcie 2.0 x16 at 90% bandwidth.
[...]

If you did extensive research... does it mean that a Thunderbolt portwould be really enough to play or work with an external GPU?
Is "pcie 2.0 x16" what current powerfull graphic card are using now?

AntDX316
06-27-2013, 08:33 AM
I actually run my 680GTX on a pcie 16x 2.0 port (NF200 P67 3770K). I did lots of research and 3.0 and 2.0 doesn't make much difference in frame rate.

The most was probably 10 fps difference but mostly the gains were after the decimal point so under 1 fps on the average.

If you did extensive research... does it mean that a Thunderbolt portwould be really enough to play or work with an external GPU?
Is "pcie 2.0 x16" what current powerfull graphic card are using now?

_
06-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Any modern graphics card connected to a TB port - PCIe 2.0 4x - will be limited somewhat. It's a 4x drop over a typical PCIe 2.0 16x and 8x over 3.0. That's not to mention the additional latency by adding 2 TB chips + wire multipler chips. How much drop would require testing though.

TB2 should improve the situation significantly with 2x bandwidth, but it won't reduce the latency add.

I saw the Silverstone device at Computex - looks beautiful - and actually I want to test one with a Zenbook. Ultimate portability on the road and when you get home you plug it into your GPU for gaming.

Clerbois
06-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Thanks for explanations. So there is no hope that someday with (current) Thunderbolt port we could use a better GPU than a GTX 670MX, for example?

So, what's the point for a G750? :D
Thunderbolt is only for those who need something faster than USB3 (with RAID SSD?) or those who like serial devices, or "super devices hub"?
Lots of possibilies, but few practical value...I was former Thunderbolt enthusiast, but now I understand the USB defenders.

However, I'll wait (maybe long) the Silverstone device test!
And perhaps 100Gb/s Thunderbolt will be useful in the future?... (If it's still alive. ;) )

Tomislav
06-27-2013, 04:56 PM
yeah ,we shall see when some tests do come out, but truth is there is a bunch of uses for TB besides GPU. Like storage, monitors with higher resolution then 108p, capture cards. Maybe you won't turn your laptop in a desktop like gaming rig but you could turn it in a portable workstation easily. More ports, more options. More POWER ! :D Enthusiasts will find a good use for TB, soon.

_
06-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Thanks for explanations. So there is no hope that someday with (current) Thunderbolt port we could use a better GPU than a GTX 670MX, for example?

You can do and I hope someone does try it, but it will 'waste' some of the GPU potential if you buy a suuuuuper-fast card.

AntDX316
06-28-2013, 02:58 AM
Some guy dumped in an egpu via minipci. Is minipci a lot slower or faster than Thunderbolt?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktUw2VTFyX4

Any modern graphics card connected to a TB port - PCIe 2.0 4x - will be limited somewhat. It's a 4x drop over a typical PCIe 2.0 16x and 8x over 3.0. That's not to mention the additional latency by adding 2 TB chips + wire multipler chips. How much drop would require testing though.

TB2 should improve the situation significantly with 2x bandwidth, but it won't reduce the latency add.

I saw the Silverstone device at Computex - looks beautiful - and actually I want to test one with a Zenbook. Ultimate portability on the road and when you get home you plug it into your GPU for gaming.

chri5d3an
06-28-2013, 05:06 AM
Man i did this a while back through pciex4 by tacking out my wireless card it was awesome. had a core i7 but no gpu wasn't getting full performance but was pretty epic to have XD. Now you can buy inclosures so it looks pretty nice.

Check Dees out
http://www.villageinstruments.com/tiki-index.php?page=ViDock

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/2698168/msi-GUS-II-external-thunderbolt-gpu-enclosure

_
06-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Mini PCI is a LOOOOOOOOOOT slower than TB.

chri5d3an
06-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Mini PCI is a LOOOOOOOOOOT slower than TB.

lol yeah this was a while back after all. if it wasn't im sure we would still have them stickin out the sides of our pc's

sasuke256
12-30-2014, 11:51 AM
nothing new about that ?